Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock head unit (ford taurus)

[[ Small and unnecessary background story]]
    I want to set up my car computer (using OPUS DC-DC power supply, though that shouldn't make a difference)
    I was originally going to go ghetto and get a 400W pure sine inverter and plug in a car computer and some logitech z560s or z680s and really be bumping (at a cheaper cost than most car audio)
    But, a pure sine inverter is too expensive (that brings up a question, do you think I could use a modified sine inverter? those are dirt cheap)
    [[ End Background story ]]

THE REAL QUESTION
    I have a '99 Ford Taurus. I want to hook up the car computer's audio output to the stock speakers. I have a stock head unit, i'm assuming that I need to go from the computer then to the stock head unit some how. Is this possible? I can't find a wiring diagram on the stock head unit, so I don't even know if it has inputs. Can anyone help me out here? Any thoughts would be great.

If that isn't feasable, then what's the best way to go? Get some cheap amplifier and then, head unit to amp, computer to amp, then amp to speakers? If I need an amp, then what's a nice cheap one?

You can either go ahead and add an amp, or if you're adventurous you can open up the HU find the amplifier IC and add an Aux Input.

Comment

If I get an amp, I would like to get a cheap one, and I would not like to blow out my stock speakers. I assume it would need to be a small wattage amp

Comment

You need an fm modulater. Go to this page http://home.comcast.net/~jarvis.wynn/ and about 7 pics down is a pic of a modulater. It takes rca inputs and puts them out through an antenna output that goes into the antenna input on your stock head unit. You'll need a 'head phone'(I think it's really called a 1/8 jack) to rca adapter(real cheap) going from the computer to the fm modulater. You ground the modulater and give it power, hook the car antenna's wire into the modulater and feed the modulater antenna wire into the head unit and you're done. To hear the sound you just have to go to the station that is designated in the modulater's manual. Need more help post up or pm me.
        Georgia Area Meet Photos

Comment

If you still need a wiring diagram, let me know. I am a ford tech.
          2005 Ford Focus ST

Comment

I thought ford HUs are just a front panel, and the actual unit is in a rear quater panel. I know this is kind of off topic but just cuirous.
            Never be afraid to do something yourself. Remember - amateur built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

If you still need a wiring diagram, let me know. I am a ford tech.
              I would love to have a diagram. I had previously put in an old sony 10 disk CD changer, it happens to run off an fm modulator. I had trouble figuring out which wires were what, like which was the always on voltage wire etc... I figured it out though.
              If it's not too much trouble, please post one or send me one in an email. [email protected]

Comment

I was thinking of doing an FM modulator, but I was thinking I might be able to hook it up a better way. Although, the FM Modulator, I think, will be fine

hey falconey, do you have any recommendations on an FM Modulator?

Comment

Sorry man, I cant find any inputs to the stock head unit. Here is the diagram for the Rear Control Module; one is the speaker diagram, one is the layout, and the last one is the power supply to the RCM. If your head unit has a changer stock ( I assume from your previous post it doesnt) or if it does not have a tape deck built in let me know and I will resubmit for updated diagrams.
                  Attached Files
                  2005 Ford Focus ST

Comment

Originally posted by frostband
                    I was thinking of doing an FM modulator, but I was thinking I might be able to hook it up a better way. Although, the FM Modulator, I think, will be fine

hey falconey, do you have any recommendations on an FM Modulator?
                    No I don't. You should be able to find one at a local install shop for about 50 bucks or over the net for around 25. The one I have is an audiofile(?). If you have a tough time finding one mine is for sell and it works great.
                    Georgia Area Meet Photos

Comment

maybe you could research on the internet for a hack for CD changer control.
                      CarComputer Status: New Car & Broken (Motherboard Fried)
                      Owen JH | My Linux Blog | The Tech Fellows

Comment

just an update guys...in case you guys read this and request a diagram, I was laid off last week, so I cant access the system anymore. Its back to Google for you guys
                        2005 Ford Focus ST

Comment

i would get rid of the stock hu bondo in a lilliput go from pc to 4channel amp to the factory speakers and add a smaller amp for bass in the rear speakers

Comment

I think the unit in the rear quarterpanel is just the amp. If you buy one of the aftermarket kits, it comes with a bunch of wire to run from the amp to where the headunit goes, basically allowing you to run headunit speakers out to factory speakers, bypassing the amp. It also extends the antenna wire from back there to the dash. So I guess I just proved myself wrong....if the antenna goes back there, it's more than just an amp.

-Chosen1
                            I think it's wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.

Comment

frostband: If you can post a pic of the back of the unit I might tell the type and what you can do with it.
                              Car pc integration with ease
                              Car mediacenter

Comment

Working...
                              X