Can this be done ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can this be done ?

I have a brand new 3 Series BMW Touring, of which I'm putting in a Car Computer.

I'm stuck on the Audio side…

As my car's got the factory Bluetooth system integrated into the standard Business stereo I will not be removing as there is no work around for replacing it.

So, I have decided to add a Line out converter in the rear to give me RCA outputs directly to my AMP.

Now comes the computer, where I will simply connect a good quality single Jack to RCA lead converter.

So now I have two sets of RCA leads, once from the Car speakers and the other from my computer, this is where I get stuck.

Are there any AMPS that can accept two RCA inputs, or should I say, can this be done?

I have heard of Aux input connectors that go between the cd changer however they are out of stock here in the uk and also they cost around £80.00. (delivery time is around 1 month)

Any suggestions please guys ?

Thanks for the help in my first car pc.

Roger
    [SIZE=6]Join Date: Aug 2003
    Vehicle: 2004 320d Sport Touring
    HP-Epc, 512mb Ram, 250gb hd, Lilliput, GPS.
    [/SIZE]

just get an RCA Y adapter that lets you connect both in at the same time.
    because the signals are line level it shouldnt cause any problems.
    just switch off or silence the device you are not using or they will both play at the same time!!
    alternatively use a couple of DPDT relays connected to a switch hidden somewhere to switch between the two outputs.
    what you might have to watch though is that the amp is probably switched on by the remote lead from the head unit and therefore when the stereo is off so will the amp be. a workaround for this is to disconnect the remote turn on wire from the stereo head unit and connect it through a switch to a permanent feed so you can switch on the amp without having the stereo on!!

Comment

Thanks 480.

i totally forgot about the remote power on lead.

as the head unit has no rca outs i doubt it will have a remote lead, how can i reslove this and whats a " DPDT relay" as this sound like my work around?

cheers again
      [/SIZE]

Comment

You need to build an RCA switcher or else you could fry both devices (head unit and computer) keep in mind that you'll have to the software volume slider for your volume control
        NEW complete and updated My project with 100+ pics on 7-4-03
        If you have a Shuttle FV24 motherboard in perfect working condition for sale, please PM me.

Comment

"You need to build an RCA switcher or else you could fry both devices"

why is this? ive done it in the past with no problems.

sorry bout the poor diagram but this is how i'd do it. use a double pole double throw relay (DPDT) with the coil fed by either a switch or your power antennae on lead (blue with white stripe, usually).
          all the relay contacts are doing is switching over between the two inputs and the two grounds are connected together (anyone know why the grounds shouldnt be connected or should they be through a relay as well?). this gives you one cable to connect into the amp!

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

this is way way over my head..

is there no i can simply buy the dam thing?

sorry guys, but i dont have the skills to make something like that ...
            [/SIZE]

Comment

ok,maybe my diagram makes it look complicated!
              ive never seen one for sale but PM or email me (paul_m4 at hotmail dot com) and i'm sure i'll be able to make you one for a modest fee.

Comment

Originally posted by eazyrog
                this is way way over my head..

is there no i can simply buy the dam thing?

sorry guys, but i dont have the skills to make something like that ...
                You can buy a rca switch.
                Georgia Area Meet Photos

Comment

You guys are the best, had a look at maplin and what do know, yes they have it :

here's the details
                  -------------
                  maplin.co.uk code cn44x £9.99
                  This attractively designed selector uses a push button switch to select the active channel to feed into an output which could be an amplifier.Uses RCA phono sockets as its inputs and comes complete with two RCA phono plugs at the outputs.
                  -------------
                  So know i have this i can simply use a line output converter to give me two rca's from my stereo and then use another from the laptop, both can plug into the adaptor then from there into the amp.

Can anyone see any prob with this ?

Cheers

P.S, 480Turbo, thank you very much for the offer, much appreciated.
                  [/SIZE]

Comment

aye, that looks about right!
                    you'll have to mount the box somewhere you can easily press the button so it might be a bit conspicuous,hey as long as it works!!

Comment

don't some equalizers have switches like that? I'm pretty sure they do, ask a sound shop
                      Audio Rockford Fosgate: 900 Watt 4-channel amp, 501bd Mono amp
                      Computer AMD 2400+ XP, 1 GB DDR RAM, Orbit Micro 250W DC-DC PSU

Head units are for cheaters!
                      sure some girls fake orgasms.....but it's guys like me who fake the whole relationship

Comment

Working...
                      X