Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What hardware and software would I need to get a true decibel reading of my system???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What hardware and software would I need to get a true decibel reading of my system???

I am a car audio buff to say the least and one of the main reasons for building my carputer was to get a true accurate decibel reading of my system. The question is what hardware and software would I need to do this???
    SUVPUTER:
    AMD~SILVERSTONE~AUDIO CONTROL~BOHLENDER GRAEBENER~IMAGE DYNAMICS~ROCKFORD FOSGATE~OPTIMA~STINGER

if you're a car audio buff, shouldnt you know this already?

j/k. not sure, would be interesting to know though. i imagine you could pretty much hook a mic and do some db tests, but that wouldnt be too accurate
    ----------------------
    VIA Epia II
    256MB 266DDR Ram
    90GB Wester Digital
    Bluetooth/Deluo GPS
    Lilliput 7" Touchscreen
    ----------------------
    Mazda 6 Carputter > Click Me!

Comment

Well I was under that assumption also, but the problem would be finding the correct software. I would like to hear some other opinions though!
      SUVPUTER:
      AMD~SILVERSTONE~AUDIO CONTROL~BOHLENDER GRAEBENER~IMAGE DYNAMICS~ROCKFORD FOSGATE~OPTIMA~STINGER

Comment

Maybe something like this? I'm not sure how accurate it may be, but accuracy can cost money. Measurement mics, preamps, calibrators... but for rough numbers, looks like it can be done cheaply.

Comment

just googling same type of soft:

http://www.telebyte.com/pioneer/
          http://www.qsl.net/dl4yhf/spectra1.html
          http://www.dxzone.com/catalog/Softwa...rum_analyzers/
          ----------------------
          VIA Epia II
          256MB 266DDR Ram
          90GB Wester Digital
          Bluetooth/Deluo GPS
          Lilliput 7" Touchscreen
          ----------------------
          Mazda 6 Carputter > Click Me!

Comment

Awesome exactly what I needed!!!
            SUVPUTER:

Comment

Actually sound specs are measured at 1 meter away from the speakers. If you're really interested on how they do this, i have time.
              Dual Lilliput's 70NP/C/T
              Syntax SV266AD KT266A
              AMD Athlon XP 2000
              Viking 256MB DDR
              D-Link Wireless 802.11B
              Seagate 120GB
              OrbitMicro 250W DC/DC converter
              SII Wireless Audio Link
              Digimoto OBD-II
              Earthmate GPS
              BU-303 USB GPS
              D-Link Bluetooth

Comment

Sensitivity measurements are usually (always? I don't think I've ever seen one that wasn't) done at 1m (xxdB @ 1W/1m). Seems like he's looking for raw, "Hey, I'm pumping 130dB SPL in the cabin" type measurements. Maybe I'm being picky, just felt the need to clairify the statement.

Comment

Originally posted by SupaDave
                  Sensitivity measurements are usually (always? I don't think I've ever seen one that wasn't) done at 1m (xxdB @ 1W/1m). Seems like he's looking for raw, "Hey, I'm pumping 130dB SPL in the cabin" type measurements.
                  Tick on the speaker specific measurements.

For SPL, the mic (which is calibrated and therefore worth either a fortune, or two fortunes depending on how loud it's able to handle) is placed on a stand in the car in the position where a head would be in the front seats. It's been a while since I've competed, so the rules may have changed a little.

C!
                  http://carpc.riposte.net
                  I reserve all rights in connection to each post I author, without exception.

Comment

True Rta

Originally posted by kingeorge36 View Post
                    Awesome exactly what I needed!!!
                    did u get that program to give u a good reading on your spl db's
                    cause in comp i hit 143 dbs and that program says im in the 120s but im only using the built in mic on my lab top do u need a mic mixer and good mic?

Comment

for the reading to be worth anything the whole end result would need to be calibrated, even if the software is acurate & the mic is good, this is really only good to compare one vehicle or setting to another with the same equiptment....

it's the calibration that makes the number worth anything....

most real events use the audiocontrol with an spl pack, higher readings & an spl mic..., or at least they did for years.... not to sure what they use now though...

I've seen a lot of smaller events that they'll tell you, "oh just add 2 to the number to know the "real" reading"... a lot of meters are not acurate to true readings, but are acurate enough for a side by side comparison...

if you want true readings you can crudely calibrate it yourself by attending an event with a real meter, & comparing the results to yours...

that's where the "just add 4 to the number" comes from...
                      MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

a Termlab would get you what you want and then some.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow View Post
                          a Termlab would get you what you want and then some.

but....$$$$
                          Xenia & Isabelle, totally in love!

'T SQiekenkot: VOLVO 740GL 2.3

CarPC: none at the moment
                          CLARION HX-D2
                          CLARION APA4300HX => Fountek NeoCd1.0 + TB W4-1337SD
                          CLARION APA4300HX => CSS Trio8
                          CLARION APA2100 => Dayton IB385-8

Comment

Originally posted by IC-C30 View Post
                            but....$$$$
                            Indeed....it's what I was going to suggest