Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audio input Options

Hi guys,

I'm in the middle of my First Car Pc install and have some questions regarding the sound.

Here's what i have :

BMW 320 e46 March 04, it has the BMW business Head unit with a boot cd changer.

I simply want some sort of Aux Input so i can run my sound into it.

So, i tried a BMW Aux Adaptor from my local dealer in th UK, tried it and it does not work, the dealer told me after selling it to me that my car is not compatible.

Now i'm stuck, i know of FM Modulators that exisit and are even wireless however heard the quality is really bad, need your inputs ?

Need to know what other options i have, please bare in mind i dont have any amps so i cant use inputs on them.

Thanks guys,
    [SIZE=6]Join Date: Aug 2003
    Vehicle: 2004 320d Sport Touring
    HP-Epc, 512mb Ram, 250gb hd, Lilliput, GPS.
    [/SIZE]

this is a difficult problem that a lot of people have. I recommend you get an amplifier. Its risky and dangerous to hack into your head unit.
    Audio Rockford Fosgate: 900 Watt 4-channel amp, 501bd Mono amp
    Computer AMD 2400+ XP, 1 GB DDR RAM, Orbit Micro 250W DC-DC PSU

Head units are for cheaters!
    sure some girls fake orgasms.....but it's guys like me who fake the whole relationship

Comment

Again, if you're willing to take the risc.. buy a part that you can replace, such as a tape module and modify it to get you an aux-in.
      ----------------------
      VIA Epia II
      256MB 266DDR Ram
      90GB Wester Digital
      Bluetooth/Deluo GPS
      Lilliput 7" Touchscreen
      ----------------------
      Mazda 6 Carputter > Click Me!

Comment

Search on Blitzsafe, SoundGate, and P.I.E. or just go look at www.logjamelectronics.com

Comment

dont mean to jack your thread but i have a similair problem...im mounting a screen above my stock headunit and will be keeping it in my car ..but i need some way to get sound from the system. i plan to make a switch so i can switch back and fourth from LCD(carputer) to my stock headunit. any idea on what piece i can buy to split the connections

let me know

thanks
          Jason

Comment

Same problem as well here. I looked into a PIE and it seems expensive, and all the amps in my pricerange dont have spare inputs.

Crutchfield suggested using rca splitters and a toggle switch type thing to switch between headunit and carputer going to the amp. Has anyone attempted this?
            [###########--] 85% complete - Software Installation

To Do: Complete Voice Recognition, transfer hardware into car and wire.

Comment

only thing is my car doesnt have any rca outputs or anything...i have the stock non HK headunit, is there some way to convert it to an rca output..then i would still need a way to to plug it into my headunit and my carputer?

Comment

The amps I was looking at convert speaker level inputs to RCA via adaptors. (I also dont have rca out on my headunit).

I guess a PIE wont work for you because you already are using the CD Changer, and a pie uses an empty changer plug for inputs.

Try searching for speaker level to rca converters.

Comment

would this work

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...787673974&rd=1

and then i plug rca's from my desktop into there, and then just splice those wires and make a switch??

Comment

Looks good, but dont let me be the final word (i'm still new in the car audio scene). Can someone confirm?

Comment

that will only be good for 2 channels. It's been attempted, but I've never seen a successfull run on the attempt of using that loc from the source through RCA wires to the high level side to the speakers. You wouldnt be able to get enough power to the speakers that way.
                      Maybe if you tried a line driver but those are only built for adjusting a signal before it goes to an amp. I've never attempted it that way.
                      What I would suggest is to use the LOC, you would need 2 of them one for the fronts and one for the rears. Hookup the LOC to the cherished stock radio so you'd have RCAs out from there. There are some switching devices out there that would allow you to switch from one source to another. Or it could be built from a serries of 8 relays if you want to get difficult.
                      "In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the experts mind there are few."- Shunryu Suzuki
                      "Do it right or don't do it at all"

PROGRESS:
                      [-------90%-] (New Car=New Build)

Comment

Working...
                      X