Radio Xtreme Installed and Reviewed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radio Xtreme Installed and Reviewed

I have written up details of my experience with the USB Radio Xtreme device.

See this link for details:
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...8&postcount=31
    Don't Fear The Gurkey
    Click here to check out My Setup

Sorry to hear this. I was really hopeing it was going to be better than you said it was. After not having a FM reciever in my car I kinda miss it. But I can wait till a better one comes out.
    Aura MR62 (F and R)
    My Current MP3s
    IamDefiler.com

Comment

It sounds like you had 4 main problems

1) damaged product
      2) Poor Reception
      3) Alternator Whine when connected
      4) Didn't mute on exit

My comments and contrasts:

1. When i recieved my product there was nothing damaged. It sounds like yours got damaged during shipping and you should file a claim. Mine was packaged kinda wierd but it arrived okay. Also it did take a while for shipping. I don't know if it was 2 weeks becasue i wasn't waiting on it.

2. Mine has good reception when connecting to my cars antenna. Maybe try a booster?

3. Alternator whine is from induced noise. Probably a grounding issue with your PC. Try grounding the Mobo to the PSU. Even though the noise wasnt there before whenever you add a new component to the system you have to suspect everything. Try moving the cables to not cross any power lines. I don't know your setup but if you are using your mobo's sound card they are usually pretty crappy. Mine has no whine

4. Sounds like an issue with frodoplayer. You may want to post that in the froddoplayer forum

Sorry you had a bad experience and got a damaged product. I would have to rate it a B+

Cheers
      -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

Originally posted by antimatter
        It sounds like you had 4 main problems

1) damaged product
        2) Poor Reception
        3) Alternator Whine when connected
        4) Didn't mute on exit

My comments and contrasts:

1. When i recieved my product there was nothing damaged. It sounds like yours got damaged during shipping and you should file a claim. Mine was packaged kinda wierd but it arrived okay. Also it did take a while for shipping. I don't know if it was 2 weeks becasue i wasn't waiting on it.

2. Mine has good reception when connecting to my cars antenna. Maybe try a booster?

3. Alternator whine is from induced noise. Probably a grounding issue with your PC. Try grounding the Mobo to the PSU. Even though the noise wasnt there before whenever you add a new component to the system you have to suspect everything. Try moving the cables to not cross any power lines. I don't know your setup but if you are using your mobo's sound card they are usually pretty crappy. Mine has no whine

4. Sounds like an issue with frodoplayer. You may want to post that in the froddoplayer forum

Sorry you had a bad experience and got a damaged product. I would have to rate it a B+

Cheers

1. Went ahead and opened it up. Couple of broken plastic tabs. Doesnt affect functionality.

2. May give that a shot.

3. Grounding issue with the antenna itself. The sleave going to my external antenna is grounded. I disconnected that lead and the whine is gone BUT reception is even worse.

4. You may be right. I will.
        Don't Fear The Gurkey

Comment

Been using Radio Xtreme for a week now. Went to radio shack and got adapters to hook stock car antenna up to the FM unit. Very happy with reception and sound quality after I put a 10db inline antenna amplifier on. Now going to try a stronger amplifier and see if it gets even better.

Batman
          [email protected]
          www.samshomepage.net

Comment

Originally posted by Batmanatthenewb
            Been using Radio Xtreme for a week now. Went to radio shack and got adapters to hook stock car antenna up to the FM unit. Very happy with reception and sound quality after I put a 10db inline antenna amplifier on. Now going to try a stronger amplifier and see if it gets even better.

Batman
            Got a link to what you are using?
            Don't Fear The Gurkey

Comment

Yes Batman post links on both products please. The amplifier that you are using and the stock convertor

Cheers

Comment

Well i have to mention that i got the antenna cable installed and I also get that friggen alternator whine. I haven't tested it out but i would like to know how you guys are connecting this the Radio Xtreme USB module. Post links

Comment

I faired about the same with my USB extreme, reception was poor, marginally better than the dlink, but also the audio went loud and quiet every 10-20 seconds. This was most annoying.

So it's still sitting around waiting to be played with properly.

Craig
                  Audi S8 supercar
                  Modded Xbox 400GB HD
                  Rear 7" screen & navplus

Toyota Hiace Van
                  Shuttle PIII 866 256Mb 10GB OPUS powered
                  MediaCar & Mappoint 2004
                  Custom fit 7" TFT VGA TSK

Comment

Yea mine did that too. I am not to satisfied with the quality. It was pretty cheap though so i am not too dissapointed. What other options do we have though besides this and the DLINK?

Comment

thanks for the review. i was thinking of getting the radio xtreme, but now i have doubts. i'm curious to know how you guys wired your carputer w/o using the headunit AUX output. how can i wire my carputer directly to all 4 speakers??

Comment

Originally posted by antimatter
                        Yea mine did that too. I am not to satisfied with the quality. It was pretty cheap though so i am not too dissapointed. What other options do we have though besides this and the DLINK?
                        I am sorry to hear that other people are having similiar experiences. I am going to just use the radio in my head unit. Its currently located under my back seat so I am going to extend the faceplate using cat-5 cable. I'll post pics when I'm done if all goes well.
                        Don't Fear The Gurkey

Comment

Unfortunatly I am not that lucky. No head unit in my setup.

So what other options do we have without using a PCI slot?

Comment

Get a digital walkman or something and use the line-in. You wont be able to control it with the computer though .
                            Audio Rockford Fosgate: 900 Watt 4-channel amp, 501bd Mono amp
                            Computer AMD 2400+ XP, 1 GB DDR RAM, Orbit Micro 250W DC-DC PSU

Head units are for cheaters!
                            sure some girls fake orgasms.....but it's guys like me who fake the whole relationship

Comment

not a chance!!!

I have been doing a little bit of research and i think the way to go is the hauphogue (<---spelling) Wintv-fm-usb module.

Do a search and i found it reviewed here. It was the winner over the dlink/radio xtreme. The only issue that i havn't reconciled is does it work with radioator. I know MediaCar was planning on supporting all of what radiator supports and now froddoplayer which is probaby the most active developer on this forum supports radioxtreme so i would assume that it uses radiator (i may be wrong)

So who knows if radiator supports the wintv fm usb module?

Comment

Working...
                              X