Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Softer music?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Softer music?

    Maybe its just me. But after installing my computer and setting up my audigy 2 nx, my music, even when cranked up all the way, doesn't seem as loud as it used to be. Bass is also lacking a bit. Most songs I can compensate for the bass using cut off frequencies and what not. I was wondering if a preamp after my audigy but before my stock amplifier would yield louder music. Oh by the way I have a stock BOSE system.
    Computer:
    COMPLETE SYSTEM OVERHAUL!!!!!!
    STAY TUNED IN THE UPCOMING WEEKS!

  • #2
    Originally posted by DJKhan85
    Maybe its just me. But after installing my computer and setting up my audigy 2 nx, my music, even when cranked up all the way, doesn't seem as loud as it used to be. Bass is also lacking a bit. Most songs I can compensate for the bass using cut off frequencies and what not. I was wondering if a preamp after my audigy but before my stock amplifier would yield louder music. Oh by the way I have a stock BOSE system.
    Get a better amp and that will give you more control over your system believe me. Aftermarket amps can/will give you internal low and high pass crossovers and gains. The gain will allow you to correctly setup the system based on your headunits input level. You would adjust the gain to be suitable to that input level. Basically giving you louder music.
    Georgia Area Meet Photos

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks. I did want to replace the amp cause then i have to replace all the speakers as well. BUt i might just gut everything and start a brand new system.
      Computer:
      COMPLETE SYSTEM OVERHAUL!!!!!!
      STAY TUNED IN THE UPCOMING WEEKS!

      Comment


      • #4
        ask radio shack for a converter so you can convert 2 volt to 4 volt on the RCAs
        Audio Rockford Fosgate: 900 Watt 4-channel amp, 501bd Mono amp
        Computer AMD 2400+ XP, 1 GB DDR RAM, Orbit Micro 250W DC-DC PSU

        Head units are for cheaters!
        sure some girls fake orgasms.....but it's guys like me who fake the whole relationship

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by DJKhan85
          Thanks. I did want to replace the amp cause then i have to replace all the speakers as well. BUt i might just gut everything and start a brand new system.
          You wouldn't have to gut your whole system and anyone that tells you that is wrong. I'd gut it just to get better speakers, but you don't have to.
          Georgia Area Meet Photos

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by lgbr
            ask radio shack for a converter so you can convert 2 volt to 4 volt on the RCAs
            I asked and they had no idea what I was talking about. Is there any specific term for what i need? I was hoping I can find it online.
            Computer:
            COMPLETE SYSTEM OVERHAUL!!!!!!
            STAY TUNED IN THE UPCOMING WEEKS!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by DJKhan85
              I asked and they had no idea what I was talking about. Is there any specific term for what i need? I was hoping I can find it online.
              ya, what your looking for is a line driver. The line driver is responsible for boosting the signal that goes to the amps. This way you won't have to turn the gain up too high and this gives you a cleaner sound.

              http://www.audiocontrol.com/MobileAu...rs/Matrix.html

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by jaymuzzy
                ya, what your looking for is a line driver. The line driver is responsible for boosting the signal that goes to the amps. This way you won't have to turn the gain up too high and this gives you a cleaner sound.

                http://www.audiocontrol.com/MobileAu...rs/Matrix.html
                I looked up line drivers and I have found a few. That specific one is a bit pricey at 143 before shipping being the lowest I found it for. I was wondering if any one knows of any cheaper 4 channel line drivers? Thanks for all the help so far.
                Computer:
                COMPLETE SYSTEM OVERHAUL!!!!!!
                STAY TUNED IN THE UPCOMING WEEKS!

                Comment


                • #9
                  at that price you'd be better off just getting a cheap four channel amp....also as far as I know most factory amps don't have gain control
                  Georgia Area Meet Photos

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by jaymuzzy
                    ya, what your looking for is a line driver. The line driver is responsible for boosting the signal that goes to the amps. This way you won't have to turn the gain up too high and this gives you a cleaner sound.

                    http://www.audiocontrol.com/MobileAu...rs/Matrix.html
                    Hey I've been looking like crazy for a decent cheap line driver and I just couldn't find it. WHile doing research it dawned on me that I have no idea how much voltage i'm actually pushing out. How can I measure this using high level speaker wire? I tried hooking up the multimeter to positive and negative. Didn't get any dc voltage got ac. Don't really know what to measure. How can I measure the output voltage?
                    Computer:
                    COMPLETE SYSTEM OVERHAUL!!!!!!
                    STAY TUNED IN THE UPCOMING WEEKS!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      output is in AC. you can measure it by playing test tones. it should read a different voltage for every frequency. thats how you get companies like clarion posting amplifeirs that can do 1000 watts, when they measure output at 1000 Hz, where its easy to post high numbers, versus high end amplifiers that may be rated at lower or multiple frequencies, that present a more realistic power value.

                      regardless, check out the price on the overdrive. its a two channel line driver, I might consider jsut driving the front channels, not the rear. you can always get a second one, if the price of two is less than teh cost of one matrix.

                      your second option is to check out some of david navone's products, he makes hte best electronics in his field of production that I personally know of. cant go wrong with navone! I believe the site is www.davidnavone.com, if not, google it, itll be something like that. im pretty sure he has a four channel line driver.

                      good luck!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by DJKhan85
                        Maybe its just me. But after installing my computer and setting up my audigy 2 nx, my music, even when cranked up all the way, doesn't seem as loud as it used to be. Bass is also lacking a bit. Most songs I can compensate for the bass using cut off frequencies and what not. I was wondering if a preamp after my audigy but before my stock amplifier would yield louder music. Oh by the way I have a stock BOSE system.
                        Ah, the WONDERFULL bose sound system...

                        What you are looking for to fix this is a devie that will convert your UN-Balanced output from your Audigy to a Balnaced output. Ths Bose amplified systems in cars (that I worked with at least) required a balanced signal input. If you are unfamiliar with balanced audio, here goes: A balanced signal looks like a regular unbalanced signal, but the negative lead (usually the sheild) has the identical signal on it, 180 degrees out of phase. The signals on the negative and positive leads look like mirror images of each other. This is done to eliminate noise getting in the system as the signal travels from the source to the amplifier.

                        A line driver might not help you out, unless it has a balanced output, but this is a bit uncommon.

                        Check with some of your local GOOD car audio stores. Tell them you want to take a "preamp signal" and send it into your Bose amplified system, and that you know you need a "BALANCED" signal into it.

                        Should make all the difference in the world on yours.

                        -Phil
                        1995 Thunderbird
                        Clarion 9375 HU, 2X CDC1255 12 Disc changer, 7500 DSP/EQ/Xover (w/fiber optic interconnects), 7501 TV Tuner/Aux
                        Xtant 1001d 1 Ch, 4180c 4 ch
                        7" Xenarc VGA touchscreen
                        1GHz Via-Nehemiah, 250 GB HDD
                        XMPCR w/TOSLink, SB Audigy NX

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by falconey
                          Get a better amp and that will give you more control over your system believe me. Aftermarket amps can/will give you internal low and high pass crossovers and gains. The gain will allow you to correctly setup the system based on your headunits input level. You would adjust the gain to be suitable to that input level. Basically giving you louder music.
                          Don't forget that a lot Bose speakers in cars are 2 ohms (some even 1 ohm). Bose did this to effectively leverage the 12 volt power system and build more powerful amplifiers (36 watts to a 4 ohm speaker, versus 72 wtts for a 2 ohm, if the amp can handle it).

                          Most amplifiers are only stable with regular car stereo speakers (usually 4 ohms). If you buy an amp, you may want to see one of your better local car stereo shops prior to purchase and tell them your situation. Most "mom-and-pop" shops would be VERY willing to help you out with info/recommendations. I know if you walked into the shop I used to work at, telling me what you were doing, I would (as well as everyone else I worked with) jump at the chance to help out and see it.

                          -Phil
                          1995 Thunderbird
                          Clarion 9375 HU, 2X CDC1255 12 Disc changer, 7500 DSP/EQ/Xover (w/fiber optic interconnects), 7501 TV Tuner/Aux
                          Xtant 1001d 1 Ch, 4180c 4 ch
                          7" Xenarc VGA touchscreen
                          1GHz Via-Nehemiah, 250 GB HDD
                          XMPCR w/TOSLink, SB Audigy NX

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by philstuf
                            Ah, the WONDERFULL bose sound system...

                            What you are looking for to fix this is a devie that will convert your UN-Balanced output from your Audigy to a Balnaced output. Ths Bose amplified systems in cars (that I worked with at least) required a balanced signal input. If you are unfamiliar with balanced audio, here goes: A balanced signal looks like a regular unbalanced signal, but the negative lead (usually the sheild) has the identical signal on it, 180 degrees out of phase. The signals on the negative and positive leads look like mirror images of each other. This is done to eliminate noise getting in the system as the signal travels from the source to the amplifier.

                            A line driver might not help you out, unless it has a balanced output, but this is a bit uncommon.

                            Check with some of your local GOOD car audio stores. Tell them you want to take a "preamp signal" and send it into your Bose amplified system, and that you know you need a "BALANCED" signal into it.

                            Should make all the difference in the world on yours.

                            -Phil

                            So I get what Your saying. Would something like this http://www.davidnavone.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=N-684V
                            work for me then?

                            EDIT: I just looked up specifications for the audigy 2 nx and it says that it outputs 2volts rms. I read almost a volt in my car when attempting to measure it. DOn't knwo where the other volt went.
                            Computer:
                            COMPLETE SYSTEM OVERHAUL!!!!!!
                            STAY TUNED IN THE UPCOMING WEEKS!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Did even more on turning an unbalanced signal into a balanced signal. I found a wealth of information which only lead to more questions/problems . Now I saw this product http://www.whirlwindusa.com/pcdi.html
                              Now that will turn unbalaced into balanced signals. SO yeah I found a way to do it. BOOOO it uses XLR outputs. I did some more researching on XLR connections. So in a nutshell what I got from it is that 2 of the leads are basically powered. allowing the output voltage to be doubled. Now here lies another one of my problems. Since I can hook my audigy up to that product and get myself From unbalanced to balanced. Connect the LIVE output from that "box" to the positive speaker lead that heads to my bose, and connect the Reference andd Ground to the negative speaker wire heading to my bose. This is what I am interpreting from my google searchs and such. Please tell me if I'm totally nuts and just made that stuff up or if it is somewhat true. Thanks for everyone's help so far!
                              Computer:
                              COMPLETE SYSTEM OVERHAUL!!!!!!
                              STAY TUNED IN THE UPCOMING WEEKS!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X