Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone with BOSE amp / speakers ? Please HELP

Hi guys,
    I found several posts that discuss this, but I am still lost. Here is my setup:
    '99 Pathfinder w/ BOSE amp.
    No HU. I could mount it somewhere else in case I have to use connections on the back of it but I'd like to have this as my last option. Carputer and JBL 4-ch amp are installed in the back. Both come on when I turn my key. I don't want to replace my speakers. I know that sound works on my computer because I had headphones connected to it.
    What are my options? I found this site, will this work for me? I bought a wiring harness and ran speaker wires from the harness to the amplifier. I'm guessing the harness will not work here.
    What is the purpose for the two connectors on picture 1? AUX?
    Can I use an FM modulator w/o the HU? Do I need to disconnect BOSE amp?
    Sorry if I missed something in my project description.
    Thank You
    Attached Files

If you want to use an aftermarket amp, your best off replacing your speakers, I don't think it's easily possible to use BOSE speakers as they usually run off of 4 ohms not 2. Speakers even better then the BOSE are relativly cheap.

You can't use an FM modulator without a head unit. If you use the BOSE amp and not the JBL one, you may be able to make it work with just a Ven-4 or other converter.

If you want to know what those connections are I would recommend you download the service manual for your car from http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/ . It will save you tons of time if you plan on doing any modifications to your car and it's only $20 for a 1 day pass.
    StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
    Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
    The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

Comment

Thanks a lot for the info. I did a quick search for VEN-4 and this is what i found:
      "....The VEN 4 can also be used to replace the factory receiver with an aftermarket unit, and retain the premium OEM amplifiers and speakers..."
      That sounds like the Head Unit has to be present in the setup. Is that true or can i go HUless? Have you ever worked with one? Are they pretty simple to hook up?

Comment

if your bose amp is anything like mine (acura rsx) you should be able to find out which of those wires are:

front left speaker +
        front left speaker -
        front right speaker +
        front right speaker -

then just tap the connection and feed in the audio cable.

Comment

Krystar,
          I need to tap into the wires going go the amp from the speakers and route them to the aftermarket amplifier?
          Thanks

Comment

no tap the wires going from HU harness into the bose Amp. tap those and then route them into your aftermarket amp input.

Comment

OK, now I think I understand. Match the wires from the harness to the BOSE amp (-,+), then route each speaker into the RCA inputs on the JBL amplifier. Tap each speaker (- and +) to a different RCA plug (red or white, rear or front).

Comment

Originally posted by god_of_cpu
                they usually run off of 4 ohms not 2.
                The majority of car speakers are 4 ohm.
                [H]4 Life
                My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
                It will be done sometime in the next generation.
                I'm a lesbian too.
                I am for hire!

Comment

Originally posted by Gene
                  OK, now I think I understand. Match the wires from the harness to the BOSE amp (-,+), then route each speaker into the RCA inputs on the JBL amplifier. Tap each speaker (- and +) to a different RCA plug (red or white, rear or front).
                  Is your Bose amp a separate piece? In my factory Bose system, each of the speakers had it's own amplifier built around it.
                  - Sony XAV-7W In-Dash 7" LCD
                  - Via EPIA 800MHz
                  - 256MB SDRAM
                  - 40GB HDD
                  - Targus Wireless Remote
                  - Win 98SE
                  See it Here
                  or Here (cardomain.com)

Comment

maelstrom,
                    I never took my door panels off, so I am not sure. I found my amplifier in the trunk behind the plastic, and the connector that connects to it looks like the wiring harness with neg.spkrs, post. spkrs, grd, etc. Does that sound like single amp or amp per speaker or hard to tell? The info that I found on Pathfinders only talks about the amp in the trunk.

Comment

Originally posted by frodobaggins
                      The majority of car speakers are 4 ohm.
                      Most Bose systems (that used multiple amplifiers) used 2 or even 1 (!) ohm speakers.

Bose did this to leverage Ohms law and get more power to drive the speakers without having to step the voltage up from 12v (Most aftermarket amplifiers step the voltage up well over 24 volts).

In a perfect system (the car never exceeds or dips below 12 Volts), you could deliver 36 watts into a 4 ohm speaker, 72 watts into a 2 ohm speaker, and 144 watts (!) into a 1 ohm speaker. This, of course, assumes the amplifier could support it, and you were running the audio levels maxed out.

-Phil
                      1995 Thunderbird
                      Clarion 9375 HU, 2X CDC1255 12 Disc changer, 7500 DSP/EQ/Xover (w/fiber optic interconnects), 7501 TV Tuner/Aux
                      Xtant 1001d 1 Ch, 4180c 4 ch
                      7" Xenarc VGA touchscreen
                      1GHz Via-Nehemiah, 250 GB HDD
                      XMPCR w/TOSLink, SB Audigy NX

Comment

Originally posted by god_of_cpu
                        Speakers even better then the BOSE are relativly cheap.
                        We had an old adage at our car stereo shop:

"No highs? No Lows? Must be a Bose!"

Bose really was a 4 letter word around our shop, as we were ALWAYS repairing/replacing them.

-Phil
                        1995 Thunderbird
                        Clarion 9375 HU, 2X CDC1255 12 Disc changer, 7500 DSP/EQ/Xover (w/fiber optic interconnects), 7501 TV Tuner/Aux
                        Xtant 1001d 1 Ch, 4180c 4 ch
                        7" Xenarc VGA touchscreen
                        1GHz Via-Nehemiah, 250 GB HDD
                        XMPCR w/TOSLink, SB Audigy NX

Comment

I have a Bose premium sound system in my car. It sounds pretty good but what's up with the volume limiter? Some CDs are too low and turning the volume up all the way onn the stereo isn't enough on some songs. Anyway to bypass without replacing the stereo?

Comment

have a look at this

http://www.installdoctor.com/Install...PDF/647017.pdf

it may nto have the same plugs but the wire colours may be the same?
                            View My Blog

Click for 2GB FREE on-line storage!

Comment

Working...
                            X