Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thump noise on epia bootup

Hi There

When i turn on my pc in the car (epia800) it sends out two distinct noises one short bump/thump kinda noise and one right after, sorta crackling. i have no generator noise when the system is running, so i am kinda lost for solutions. Can i put something on the audio out from the epia to stop these noises ?

Also if i want to use the spdif digital out what would be a cheap/medium priced starter amp to use ?

Jan
    Not doing carpc anymore

Dope,

Most CarPC's will send out a "thump" when they're powered on, if the audio amp is already powered up. The best way to avoid the thump is to delay turning on your auidio amp until after your CarPC is powered up.
    MikeH

Comment

Yeah, my epia does that too
      '96 Chevy Cavalier - EPIA M10000, Win2K,MediaCar, Deluo GPS Mouse with Routis, 60GB external HD, 7" widescreen monitor from DigitalWW.

'00 Jeep Wrangler - planning stage

What can BROWN do for you?

Comment

Doh, what if i was to attach a usb or another pci sound card, would it do the same ?

Jan
        Not doing carpc anymore

Comment

I use Creative USB on my EPIA 800.
          It thumps and cracks too.
          It's the cake having/eating thing.

Comment

I would guess the USB may work better if the USB hub stays powered when your CarPC is turned off/on. As for the PCI card, sicne it gets power from the CarPC, it will probably thump too.

The only good way to get rid of the thump is to add a few seconds of delay to the RemoteOn signal that feeds your audio amp or head unit.... This way, the sound card's output has settled out before your amp amplifies it.
            MikeH

Comment

Just stick a relay, triggered by your power supplies 12v, in between the sound out and amp. Just splice the RCA cable and cut the positive as the switched.
              Mods: 18" Boss rims,Twin custom stainless exhaust,cold air induction.
              Sound: Pioneer 7400 HU & 6x9's,12" Vibe Sub,600W Kenwood amp.
              CarPC: MicroATX, Inverter, WinTV, Lilliput 7", USB GPS
              http://www.no1knows.com/galleries/

Comment

I solved that problem with a relay from davidnavone.com. It turns my amp on a few seconds after the Epia comes out of sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH
                  I would guess the USB may work better if the USB hub stays powered when your CarPC is turned off/on. As for the PCI card, sicne it gets power from the CarPC, it will probably thump too.

The only good way to get rid of the thump is to add a few seconds of delay to the RemoteOn signal that feeds your audio amp or head unit.... This way, the sound card's output has settled out before your amp amplifies it.
                  My USB is powered all the time, and it thumps and cracks.
                  The relay would proably work thou.

Comment

Originally posted by Alric
                    I solved that problem with a relay from davidnavone.com. It turns my amp on a few seconds after the Epia comes out of sleep.
                    What model # did you get?

Comment

get a ground loop isolator or wire another cooper wire from the case to the car body(nut).

Comment

I got this one:

http://www.davidnavone.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=N-66A

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by fondoo
                          get a ground loop isolator or wire another cooper wire from the case to the car body(nut).
                          It's not a ground issue. All soundcards do it.
                          My Carputer! (More Car Pics at the end)
                          2 Kicker Comp 10"
                          Epia M-9000, 256 MB DDR, 120 Gig HD
                          Lilliput 7" VGA Touchscreen
                          Check it out?!

Comment

Almost all electronic devices do this, the thump comes before your devices steady state. Amps and head units have a delay circuit to prevent this, unfortunately most sound cards don't.

Comment

Hmm, i guess i should just keep my epia sound card then and just put a delay on the remote signal for the amp and maybe a signal noise filter. I'll post what worked and what didnt.

Jan
                              Not doing carpc anymore

Comment

Working...
                              X