Weird Mic Problem.. Help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird Mic Problem.. Help!

I am having a very strange mic problem... I can't get my mic to work in my car... I know this sounds stupid, but I can't figure it out.. I know the mic works because I can load up Recorder, talk, and play it back.. It sounds fine... I have all my recording settings set and like I said it works with windows recorder... When I try to go to the SAPI and configure mic... The place where normally it is an empty bar that moves when you speak is solid green and doesn't do anything when I talk into the mic... Nothing I do will make my mic work with SAPI, or the Windows VOICE setup, or PhoneControl... Basically my mic doesn't work in windows.. I even re-installed XP last night, downloaded new Audio Drivers, and went and bought a new mic.. Still I get the same problem... The same mic works fine on my laptop and my desktop, just not in my car... Is there something I don't know about the M10000 sound card? The weird thing is I thought that if the mic worked to make recordings in Recorder, that meant your mic was setup...

very strange... maybe your mic is posessed and needs an exorcism.
    -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

have you look in your volume control and unmute your mic?
      have you selected your audio device in the sound properties in control panel (classic view)
      did you plug it in the right port? There's line-out, mic-in, and line-in. Maybe you plugged it in line-in.

Other than these 3. I don't know.

Comment

yep.. It does it with 2 different mics... And I know the settings are right and its plugged into the right port becuase I can make voice recordings in Windows Recorder....

Comment

Originally posted by antimatter
          maybe your mic is posessed and needs an exorcism.
          I still hold firm to my theory

Comment

From intellaworks

SAPI (speach api v5.1) is a developers version of (Microsofts English recognizer v5.1) if you have installed SAPI5.1 on the vehicle computer then your vehicle computer is set up as a developers computer and you would need to use the training wizard, in sapi 5.1 to get your microphone to work correctly. OR you could go to control panel-> audio devices -> speach and make sure that Microsoft English Recognizer v5.1 is selected and NOT SAPI 5.1 Developer under the language combo box. Any Questions / Comments please e-mail me at [email protected]
            Progress [I will seriously never be done!]
            Via EPIA MII
            512MB RAM
            OEM GPS (embedded)
            nLite WinXP pro on
            1GB Extreme III CF card
            Carnetix 1260 startup/ DC-DC regulator
            Software: Still, re-Writing my existing front end in .Net

Comment

That is the whole problem... When I go to the training wizard it doesn't recognize my mic... I talk, but the program picks up nothing... I know the mic is working because at the same time I can load Windows Recorder and record what I am saying... I also know how to setup SAPI because I have it working on at least 3 other computers... It is something weird with my M10000 and my mic... I tried 3 different mics and even reinstalled windows last night with nothing but the latest drivers and SAPI.. Some problem.. When I go to train the mic it is suppose to have that horizontal slider that is blank... As you talk it moves a slider to the right in blue... When I go to it in my car it is solid green all the way across, which I have never seen before, and doesn't work...

Comment

When I go to try and train my voice with SAPI, as soon as you hit configure mic it actually takes my mic input level and puts it at 0%... If I raise it up, the program instanstly forces it back down to 0%? What is that? If I manually set it to say 70% and use Windows Recorder, my voice sounds fine...

Comment

Okay, okay... I revise my original statement...it is either a driver problem or your mic is posessed and needs an exorcism.

That is my final answer

Comment

Driver problem is what I originally thought it had to be.. I re-installed XP and then installed the latest Vinyl audio drivers from viaarena.com... Those should work right?

Comment

So you're telling me that it doesn't work in your car but works outside...
                      hmmm...Are you running off of a inverter in your car? Might be picking up stuff that screws up your configuration.

Comment

i think what he is saying is that if he takes the mic to another computer that it works.

When i plugs it into the carputer only the voice recorder works not the speech training hence my suggestion of the equipment being possesed and the need for an excorcism

Comment

Go to Control Panel -> Sounds and Audio Devices again. Under the Voice tab, there's also a voice recording and playack device. Make sure that's the same as your normal Audio device. If not, it will do what you're saying (record audio from mic but not speech), and make sure the Volume under Recording is set high. I've seen that happen where it forces the slider down even if you move it up. It's definitely (alomst) SAPI doing it because of the level from the training part.

Comment

I would opt for an excorcism

Comment

I checked all those.. Under the VOICE tab I have it set to the same... "Vinyl Audio AC 97 (WAVE)", I think that is what its called... Even before I installed SAPI, I went to the VOICE tab in control panel/ sound and hit the test hardware button... It comes up and asks you to talk... It doesn't work either... My main goal is to get PhoneControl working.. I set it up on my laptop and it worked great.. I then went to my car and everything worked, except people couldn't hear me... I then figured out that my mic wasn't working right... Since then I have reformatted and tried multiple audio drivers, and nothing works... I am about to give up and sell all my phonecontrol stuff.... This is such an easy thing to setup and something I have never had a problem with... I just don't understand... The only idea I have left is to chunk my motherboard...

Comment

Working...
                              X