5.1 Surround in the car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5.1 Surround in the car

Hi all, sorry if this question has been addressed before, but I've searched the forums and spent about 6 hours on google without finding the answer to my question.

I'm building a mini-itx using an EPIA MII, and I'd like to use a Soundblaster Audigy2 as my 5.1/6.1/7.1 surround sound decoder. How can I connect this thing to the audio system in my car? I mean seeing as the card has 1 digital out and 3 lines out, and in the manual for it, in the section "connecting to speakers" the setups they show both for digital 5.1 speakers and analog 5.1 speakers seem to have another device between the card and the speakers which further splits or decodes the signal.

Ok I hope that made sense, I'm so tired I'm not really thinking straight...

Ok first of all what kind of setup are you using?

For my setup I have a Panasonic head unit that has Auxillary Inputs that allows me to run the sound from my computer through the head unit as it distributes the sound evenly through my speakers, this way it also amplifies the sound too.
    I too also am going to put in an audigy card into my car, and am wondering about how to make it 5.1
    Im not sure if this is possible by running the sound through the headunit because it only has 2 rca plugs and theres over 6 speakers in the car. So this give us a bit of a problem. How ever to just use the speakers off the sound card you can get an adapter that converts your plug from 3.5 to RCA.
    In saying this there might not be alot of point in getting a audigy. But I guess you could try anyway.

Comment

Only problem I've had is finding a way to optical out from this card. It seems that you can only use thier speakers with the digital out. I just want to hook up my audigy to my surround sound reciever. It only has optical in though. The front has optical out, but it has never worked for anything but a minidisc.
      I think the best think would be to get a card that breaks down the channels into seperate outputs.

Comment

Maugnara --

I haven't changed from the stock system in my 350Z (its the p.o.s. one that comes with the track pack.) I know that I could just output analog sound to its head unit using an FM Mod or Tape adapter or something along those lines (or even an AUX input if I got a different head unit,) but then it wouldn't do the surround sound.

Comment

I personally haven't ventured into the realm of in car computers (YET) however I have been doing audio for a while, and am very skilled with computers. I would suggest putting it on hold for a while until you get a new HU. If it may be a long while till you get a HU then you should get an FM modulator. That is the most practical way to do it.
          Import Cars and American Trucks!
          AYBABTU
          Pics of my QG

Comment

I have the same audiocard.. had to because my (dell gx50) onboard card gave a noice. It works pretty fine.. the quality of the sound is awesome. This is my setup..
            use 3 jacks:
            1. front speakers
            2. rear speakers
            3. subwoofer (and center speaker)

allthough i don't have the front speaker the sound is fabulous..
            Whats a real pain in the as.s is that the soundblaster card is too big for the housing(small desktop) but im currently designing a new housing and rebuild my front with glasfiber..
            I'll finish my installation soon.. pictures coming up!

Comment

You will have to bypass your head unit to tkae advatige of 5.1.
              youll have to run it directly to the amps from the sound card.
              this will give you the best quality sound anyway.
              2-15" ILO lcd w/DVI
              6800 gt Duel DVI out
              p4 1.6ghz flex atx board
              1gb 400 ram
              120gb(2-60gb raid) sata hd
              2-60gb hotswap
              WIN2K Pro SP2
              M.A.M.E. w/2,300 games
              CARPuter info

Comment

Ok but there's still one thing I don't understand... the Front right/Front left are mixed in one signal output, the Rear Right/Left in another, and the Center/Sub in the third. How does one separate these three into 6? Are there amps that will do that? Or is there something fundamental about 5.1 that I'm just not getting... it's possible.

Comment

Ahh ok I got it -- the amp decodes the signals as well as amplifies them... I googled that phoenix amp.

Comment

well the best is to take your digital signal,s end it to a decoder that will split it into separate 5.1 or 6.1 channels with a pair of RCA outs for each of the channel.

Then you run this to your amps.

Or the Phoenix Gold 6 channels amp has a pre built decoder so you can plug directly your SPDIF (digital) signal into it, but it's not very flexible has having a separate decoder.

Etienne

Comment

sound processors are costly, not sure of a cheap one, this is what the jl audio show car uses for its sound processor. http://www.radiomancaraudio.com/deta...alpine-pxah700
                      Crouching Tiger, Drunken Kitty

Comment

Alpine is the top of the line, you can't really get better,

There are probably cheaper alternative of converting the signal

Etienne

Comment

Here's a thought... the issue is that the audigy combines the 6 signals into 3 outputs, and we need to split them up again... I see two possible solutions other than an expensive HU or Phoenix Amp.
                          1. Does anybody know of a 5.1 sound card that has 6 analog outputs?
                          2. (This is really ghetto.) Creative must be mixing the signals using a simple AM or FM setup. So just make some home brew filters and demodulators? Then our decoded 6 signals to the Amps? The reason I think this would work is the 3 analog outputs on the Audigy are supposed to be connected to 5.1 speakers for the computer which have analog inputs. Having looked at some of creative's own speakers, it seems that the speakers themselves don't have any kind of 5.1 decoder but just some circuitry to split the two signals out of each of the three channels from the Audigy (in other words, the Audigy does the 5.1 decoding, then modulates them and puts the 6 signals into 3 outputs, leaving an outside device to do the job of de-modulating the 3 into 6 again. Seems really backas.swards though...)

Comment

You guys can do this real cheap.....Get a MidiLand ADS-3000 processor from ebay. These are old, discontinued, small and cheap Dolby Digital audio processors used with MidiLand's computer speaker set.

The ADS-3000 will accept several digital/optical inputs and will output/decode 6-channel audio in Dolby Digital 5.1 format via RCA cables. The unit has a screen and IR Remote that can be detached and modded to be placed elsewhere in the car.

Once you have your decoded 6 channel output, you hook that up directly to your amp since the output is in the form of RCA cables. Some center channel speakers are self amplified (check out the Clarion SRK5) so the center channel output would hookup directly to your center channel speaker and the rest of the outputs would need to be hooked-up individually to the 5 channels of your amplifier(s). The ADS-3000 has a 9-pin DIN output (aka G9). You would need to purchase a G9->RCA converter cable from MidiLand.com to get this unit to output to RCA's.

The unit's faceplate can be taken apart and relocated from near your amp to your dash with some soldering and CAT5 cables.

I have an ADS-3000 here from my speaker set that I was going to use but have decided against it since it just made everything super complicated.

Good Luck.

-HD

Comment

BTW in case it's not clear, I'm talking about the ANALOG outputs on the Audigy not the digital ones (so they're already 5.1 decoded, just mixed.)

Comment

Working...
                              X