Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CarPC directly into Monsoon Amp, do I really need the Head Unit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CarPC directly into Monsoon Amp, do I really need the Head Unit?

For space reasons I'm removing the stock monsoon head unit on my '01 Jetta and replacing it with a 7" touch panel. I've constructed a plexiglas case to fit into the CD changer slot in the back and I'm hoping to use a RCA to monsoon harness on the CD changer input in the same slot.
    Like I said before the HU will be gone leaving volume control to Windows I hope. Question is will this work? Can windows just pass a signal via RCA/monsoon to the amp then to the speakers?

You bet.. similar to mine, and it sounds 10X better. You might need a line driver however, cause you are going to the CD changer first. I had mine running to the amp first. (I don't have a CD changer)

Comment

Does your Monsoon amp have RCA inputs? Mine doesnít, it just has high level (speaker level) inputs. I've read on the Volkswagen forums that the Monsoon amp isn't like a traditional amp. The head unit does most of the amplification and the amp functions more as a cross cover to drive the separate tweeters and woofers in the all the doors. Iím not totally sure, but I am going HU less too. I just have a smaller amp that leads into the Monsoon amp.

Comment

I have a '02 Jetta. I removed the moonsoon black "box". I then got the pin-out for the connector that plugged into the box and soldered my wires onto it to go to a amp.
        My Install Thread
        digitaljetta.com

MKIV VW Jetta
        How do I get sound to my car?

Comment

Originally posted by Zip-Lock
          Does your Monsoon amp have RCA inputs? Mine doesnít, it just has high level (speaker level) inputs. I've read on the Volkswagen forums that the Monsoon amp isn't like a traditional amp. The head unit does most of the amplification and the amp functions more as a cross cover to drive the separate tweeters and woofers in the all the doors. Iím not totally sure, but I am going HU less too. I just have a smaller amp that leads into the Monsoon amp.
          So how exactly do I get purely software control of volume, I want no dials switches or sliders.

Comment

Originally posted by ericthebikeman
            So how exactly do I get purely software control of volume, I want no dials switches or sliders.
            Run the audio output of your comp's sound card into a amp.
            My Install Thread
            digitaljetta.com

MKIV VW Jetta

Comment

Originally posted by ppgt94
              Run the audio output of your comp's sound card into a amp.
              So computer > amp > monsoon "amp" or
              computer > monsoon amp

Comment

Originally posted by ericthebikeman
                So computer > amp > monsoon "amp" or
                computer > monsoon amp

I removed the monsoon "amp". Then I soldered speaker wires to the speaker leads. So it goes Computer > Amp > Speakers. I'll take a picture tomorrow.
                My Install Thread
                digitaljetta.com

MKIV VW Jetta

Comment

I also removed the Monsoon "Amp" and put in a 4.1 Alpine.

The front and back speakers have different power requirements (8 Vs 4 Ohms). I dealt with this issue by reducing the level to the front speakers. Also, you need crossovers for the tweeters. I used some spare Memphis crossovers.

This set up sounds very, very good. To the point that I had to start using lossless compression for my music.

cheers,

Comment

The Monsoon amp in that vehicle is (I believe - about 89% sure) a current sensing amp. I'm not guaranteeing anything but you could definitely try running your lineouts of a soundcard right into the amp and see what happens. If you get a wiring harness from a local car stereo shop it would make your life much easier. You could do 1/8" out to RCA from the sound card but cut the ends of the RCA's off. Then just hardwire right into the speaker wires where the radio was. I can't say for sure this will work but it definitely could. My only concern is I don't know if there will enough output on the sound card to be worth it. Best luck!

Comment

Originally posted by christmaspie
                      The Monsoon amp in that vehicle is (I believe - about 89% sure) a current sensing amp. I'm not guaranteeing anything but you could definitely try running your lineouts of a soundcard right into the amp and see what happens. If you get a wiring harness from a local car stereo shop it would make your life much easier. You could do 1/8" out to RCA from the sound card but cut the ends of the RCA's off. Then just hardwire right into the speaker wires where the radio was. I can't say for sure this will work but it definitely could. My only concern is I don't know if there will enough output on the sound card to be worth it. Best luck!
                      No, it has a turn on lead.

The monsoon amp has high level (speaker level) inputs, so line level inputs would work but it would be so soft that you might not be able to hear anything unless you put your ear right up against the speakers.

Comment

It's not an amp. It's a crossover. I had the thing apart. It looks really "rinky-dinky".
                        My Install Thread
                        digitaljetta.com

MKIV VW Jetta

Comment

Do yourself a favor and rip that Monsuck system out. It's chock full of voodoo, and really sounds like crap.

When you remove the head unit take a ton of pictures of your install, so you can prove that your factory wiring harness is not connected to your carpc. Dealership will not connect your car to their VAG system if they suspect that your system is connected to the factory harness, due to K-wire issues. I've heard nightmareish stories of folks who had their aftermarket stereos improperly installed, K-wire was hooked to power antenna lead, and all kinds of problems surfaced that VWoA would NOT cover.

Your best bet in this case is to not use the factory harness/headunit/'cross-amp thingy'. Get yourself a nice 4-chan amp, maybe a couple pair of 6.5" components and run your own wire.

When you pull the Monsuck out, throw it in a box - just in case you trade the car in.
                          -=-
                          TSOL
                          Spreadin' the love ALL around, and layin' it on THICK!

Comment

I completely concur witih Spatula on this one.
                            My Install Thread
                            digitaljetta.com

MKIV VW Jetta

Comment

Originally posted by TheSpatulaOfLuv
                              Do yourself a favor and rip that Monsuck system out. It's chock full of voodoo, and really sounds like crap.

When you remove the head unit take a ton of pictures of your install, so you can prove that your factory wiring harness is not connected to your carpc. Dealership will not connect your car to their VAG system if they suspect that your system is connected to the factory harness, due to K-wire issues. I've heard nightmareish stories of folks who had their aftermarket stereos improperly installed, K-wire was hooked to power antenna lead, and all kinds of problems surfaced that VWoA would NOT cover.

Your best bet in this case is to not use the factory harness/headunit/'cross-amp thingy'. Get yourself a nice 4-chan amp, maybe a couple pair of 6.5" components and run your own wire.

When you pull the Monsuck out, throw it in a box - just in case you trade the car in.

I'm not sure what you mean, but I'm happy to see you're not saying keep the monsoon system..

I've got an 03 GLI, and I'm without monsoon (cuz I didn't think it was worth the investment at the time), so if I take out my headunit, and install my newly purchased Xenarc 700 TSV, how will I connect my computer to my sound system?

Is there some sort of external amp I will have to purchase, or is there somethign else?

I was just hoping for a bit more clarity =)

Thanks for your help dude!!

Comment

Working...
                              X