Relocate 99 Accord Head Unit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relocate 99 Accord Head Unit

I just got my new car. Have been reading forums 4ever and am ready to start building a shopping list. I really would like to keep my stock HU since the stock alarm system depends on it. I was wondering..........does anyone know about relocating it? I was thinking maybe to the lower compartment. ANy other suggestions? Possible to extend the wiring harnesses and relocate somewhere else? Anyone know of any kits or have any ideas I can bounce off? It is the stock double din cd HU.

Thanks,
    Nick
    Epia M10000, 512 RAM, 160 GB HDD, Xenarc TSV

You shoule be able to extend the cables and have it work. I did that with my after market head unit and it worked, but I've never seen anyone do it with an OEM one.

'02 GTI
    [Routis '04] [Opus 90W] [160GB Maxtor HD]
    [Lilliput 7" TS] [VIA M10000] [XMPCR]
    [512MB RAM] [Custom housing]
    [Deluo GPS Mouse] [E-MU 0404 Soundcard]
    Progress Meter: [==============|] 99.9%

Comment

Hello, I have '99 Accord as well. I relocated my Kenwood HU to a DIN slot down in that cubby hole beneath our dash. Honda makes an EX Audio Attachment kit for people who want a cassette player or the 6-disc indash CD changer extra. If your HU is a single DIN you can use this.

You can purchase the EX Audio Attachment Kit here at HandA-Accessories.com. It is $27 or so. To see pictures of what it looks like you can look at my setup and MykolJay's setup.
      '99 Accord LX
      -------------
      Pics of CarPC Setup

Comment

Here is what I am looking for but can't find anything like this for a 99 accord.

http://www.cardomain.com/item/SCOHAK1B

Think it could be possible to extend the cables manually? or daisy chain somehow?

Comment

Id did it manually with scrips and some 18ga wire. Really easy once you get everything out far enough to work on it.
          '02 GTI
          [Routis '04] [Opus 90W] [160GB Maxtor HD]
          [Lilliput 7" TS] [VIA M10000] [XMPCR]
          [512MB RAM] [Custom housing]
          [Deluo GPS Mouse] [E-MU 0404 Soundcard]
          Progress Meter: [==============|] 99.9%

Comment

how does the alarm depend on the HU??? i been thinking of putting my deck in the sunglass holder
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v52/du3ce/siggy.jpg
            My car Pics

Comment

The stock HU on EX's controls the keyless entry and the factory security system. Would be a bummer to lose them

Comment

you should check to make sure that the stock hu does not just have a standard aux input, and that the controls were beeing controled buy that

Comment

I have a 2000 Accord EX Coupe and my factory head unit is no longer hooked up. The keyless entry works fine.

Comment

Ok....guess I should have tested. Thanks for letting me know about the keyless entry.
                    I would still like to keep the security system installed. The headunit doesn't have any aux inputs. What I can do is buy a hon-aux adapter which allows you to convert the serial cd changer port into rca inputs. I was planning on doing this and connecting the carputer to this input. Seems like it would work to me?
                    I tried installing in the lower cubby, I had to remove the lower cubby to fit it in there. It is a really tight fit and isn't as clean looking as I would like. I will post pictures later. I am going to mount it again and see if can make it fit better.

Comment

Ok........got it relocated to bottom tray area. Needs lots of work though. But atleast its a start on the right path.
                      Check it out
                      http://myweb.cableone.net/nicknack/

Comment

what you shouldve done is keep your stock radio where it is and put the screen in the cubby hole near the shifter like this dude:
                        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v52/du3ce/siggy.jpg
                        My car Pics

Comment

thats what im doing in my ford explorer, just about the exact thing, just putting my lilliput under the stock HU, anyways it might not be neccesary to buy that converter cable. I have a Blaunpunkt san jose MP41, and they make a aux converter cables just like that one that converts it into a single RCA input. The negative thing about that, is if you get a computer with 4 or 5.1 surrond, it will do no good. So i simply cut the connector off and solderd multiple RCA inputs on, not 100% sure thats the exact same deal you have, but just givin you a heads up. Hope It helps

Btw nice job relocating the HU !

Comment

du3ce, i am doing the exact same thing. i am getting the faceplate made custom for me with extra slots for the controls for the monitor, and for my inverter, so i can watch the voltage/watts, etc. what is your enclosure made from, and how did you secure it?

Comment

hey djpm05 where you refering to placing your inverter in your dash? or running something else to monitor the volts and watts? if you were considering placing your inverter in your dash, i highly advise against it. The inverter will most likely overheat, and it will be real noisy in an enclosure like that and near to you. And in the event you were going to use something analog to monitor the volts and watts, what is it?
                              Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X