How to control an AMP with dual input

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to control an AMP with dual input

I am looking at this AMP http://www.crutchfield.com/S-5R0NUuk...&avf=N&search= It has speaker- and preamp-level inputs.

What I want to do is, hook the stock HU outs to the speaker in on the AMP and hook the CarPC audio out to the line-level input.

I don't know much about AMPs, so, is this going to work and if so, how am I going to switch inputs. Too bad I don't have Aux-in on my HU and I can't replace it either.

Thanks

There may be a switch on the amp!!!
    Try www.connects2.com for an aux in!!!

Comment

I've had the EXACT same question for my Infinity 5760 amp. There is NO switch, I know that for a fact.

I don't know why I haven't tested this functionality yet.. but I can't even right now anyways (headunit isn't hooked up!).

If I ever get around to testing this, I'll tell you how it goes (for my amp at least.. for what it's worth).

Comment

Originally posted by wizawuza
        I've had the EXACT same question for my Infinity 5760 amp. There is NO switch, I know that for a fact.

I don't know why I haven't tested this functionality yet.. but I can't even right now anyways (headunit isn't hooked up!).

If I ever get around to testing this, I'll tell you how it goes (for my amp at least.. for what it's worth).
        good luck with trying to match the outputs on both the sources.

Im guessing you'll get 4v out on the headunit - maybe 1v if your lucky on the carputer.

Regards

Comment

"good luck with trying to match the outputs on both the sources." isn't that what the AMP supposed to do, that is why it has 2 types of input, one high V from the speaker and the other low V from a pre AMP such as a CarPc. I read the spec again and there is no mention of a switch.

Comment

if you want to do both, I would highly reccommend coming up woth a solution that only lets you run one source at a time to the amp.

I dont know if the amp can handle two voltages at each source. If it can, then itll jsut be wierd with sound routing, which may lead to accidentally playing both radio and cr PC at the same time. awfullt strange.

if it cant handle it, then expect to be making some black smoke

Comment

That is what I thought, the 2 interface types are just for input and that they might join at some point inside the AMP.
              Would a set of relays be OK to switch input source?

Comment

AFAIK, you can use one OR the other, but not both at the same time.

Garry
                Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
                www.aimee.cc

Comment

maybe. we tried something along those lines, with a relay on the speaker outputs of a pioneer radio. tried to switch them on and off on the fly, with the radio cranking music.... saw smoke coming out the unit....

so if had a switching system, id make sure you cna ONLY switch the inputs with everything off.

of course, it could be totally fine, maybe we had a problem with just the way we were doing it....

Comment

What was GM thinking, what was I thinking when I bought this car, 34000.00 freaking $$$ and can't plug-in an external source. Damn it!!!

There got to be a freaking way to hack the damn HU and find where the built in CD or Tape player is feeding the signal and try to latch into it.

Comment

Very few factory radios have aux-in's built in. I can think of one. However, you can probably get an aux-in adapter from crutchfield that will work for you. I'm not sure what kind of vehicle you have so I can't check for you.

Comment

I did search under every rock, no dice. I have 2002 Bravada with Delco (factory) radio, non-Bose with RDS and OnStar. There are a lot of Aux-in devices out there for all cars and GM, any year up to 2001 and 2004 and up, 2002/2003 modles don't have XM ready radios so I can't use an adapter. I called PIE, Crutchfield and every other guy out there. The only option I have is to replace the HU and lose:
                        1- Onstar (I don't use it)
                        2- Ding/Ding warninings (I need them)
                        3- Steering wheel controls.
                        4- Back seat audio zone controles (back seat can have its own audio source).

In addition to the price of the unit, I need a $70.00 adapter since I have Databus class II, also, a nother $70.00 to add steering wheel controls, yes for safety, that is $140 + new HU + instalation (my time) - Oh, and it is not that easy to find RDS HU out there, they cost a lot of $$$, yes, the teens in the back seat like to see "HOT 97.1 FM, YOUR HUNKY PUNKY FM STATION" - you get the point.

Comment

they make adapters for #2 and #3, #1 is self taken care of.

bummer about #4, though

Comment

actually, now that I think about it, they make an adapter for #1, too, for those out there that do use onstar.

so if they make an adapter for #4..... youd be set!

Comment

Looks like this is the road I am going to take, but it would set me back about $400/$500 bucks! when it is all done.
                              My local audio shop has a Pio control for back seat, that is another $200. ( I would not do it though)

Comment

Working...
                              X