No announcement yet.

Build an amp?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Build an amp?

How much trouble would it be to build my own amp? Something like 1200 watts. Can someone give me a detailed description on construction and some schematics?
    ~ \x01A4 ~

Originally posted by Chroniccodez
    How much trouble would it be to build my own amp? Something like 1200 watts. Can someone give me a detailed description on construction and some schematics?
    If anyone has done it, I think your best bet is to check .
    AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
    Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
    -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

For the cost in parts, it is cheaper to simply buy one.

if you need instructions for this then you're in over your head. amps are pretty complicated. also if it messes up anything in the car that you plug it into you're up a creek.

aside from that, for what you'd pay to get quality parts for your amp you could've bought a nice zapco amp that would, undoubtedly, sound exponentially better and come with a warranty.

2007 Honda Fit Sport 1.5L SOHC-VTEC

Oh, and 1200W is HEAPS for an amp, let alone a DIY one. Most of the '1200 Watt' amps you see are actually only about 200WRMS MAX. Getting the components for a 200W amp wouldnt be *that* hard, but like the others said, you'll spend about the same as a cheap amp, for about the same sound quality once you are done.

Getting the components for a true 1200W amp will be VERY expensive. It would be best to go through the parts of an old Theatre sound system, or nightclub amps etc. It would most likely be overkill unless you have a massive truck or you plan on entering DB Drag races...

expect cost to be about half online retail of the amp, minus chassis and heatsink.

I got parts to build a 300 watt amplifier for about 50 bucks. I googled the schematic four years ago.

good luck googling a 1200 rms amp schematic. most retail amps in that range are class D, and a class a/b might be rough on your electrical system.

however, dont discount the potential price savings. a buddy and I priced out transistors for ultra high output amplification, realized it would cost about $500 in transistors to built an amp capable of producing 10,000 rms watts of power. not to mention 4000 rms of heat....

but it CAN be done!

I will suggest that rather than being unfeasible, its undesireable, considering the work put into it versus any potential benefit.

If you are looking for a good way to cut costs, just buy entry level. check out the jbl 1200.1 if you can find one anywhere. also check out the hifonics brutus for an even more entry level solution. they even make a 1500 rms version of that amplifier.

First thing to know about building an amplifier of any sort is knowing all about vaccuum tubes or transisitors. If you don't know anything about them other than there names, don't bother. I'm an electrical engineer and trust me it took me a few years to understand the true function of the transistor and how it works.
                If you didn't have fun when you were living, were you really alive?

{[X-----------------]} 25% Complete (Plan Made, awaiting funds)

Retail amps are usually class A/B, because class D tend to not have a good enough s/n ratio for listening to unless it's a sub and you don't really care for detail.

There're some class A amps for cars around, but they might scorch your carpet

The most difficult part about building your own amplifier is the power supply. If your amp runs off the AC mains, you can just buy a good quality toroidal transformer that matches your power needs and you don't have to worry so much about the power supply being insufficient.

In a car, you need to use some sort of switchmode psu (pwm, massive boost, etc), which is hard to design and usually quite expensive to build (winding your own transformer to switch at high frequencies is really really difficult, and if you want to have one custom wound it's quite expensive). Testing it will also be hard without an oscilliscope... I think Rod Elliot ( managed to put a 2 channel LM3886 based amplifier in a car, if you want to look up his website.