Yet another audio noise thread....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another audio noise thread....

Here's my problem...I have my carputer in my centerconsole and everything (all wiring) runs down the middle toward the dash. When I play radio thru my headunit it's fine. When I fire up the carputer I get engine noise. I haven't road tested it yet so I don't know if it will whine as I hit higher rpms. I've read the countless threads on ground loop isolators and noise filters. I'm wondering if I just need to ground the carputer? Currently it's powered by this:

http://www.l o g ic su pp ly.com/pro...roducts_id/228

*don't forget to take out the spaces in the link*

and my case is made of plexiglass. Sound is onboard running through my aux in on my head unit. Head unit hooks up to an amp. So how can I go about grounding the carputer? Before I go and drop more cash on a noise filter or ground loop isolator I want to figure out if grounding the carputer will fix it. Thanks!

anyone?

Comment

ttt

Comment

It should be already grounded through your power supply, but if you want to try run another ground, either ground to one of the motherboard's mounting points or ground the ground cable coming out of your ATX PSU.

Do you have noise when you're running the whole system off your car battery? Also could you describe the noise (like is it a low pitched buzzing, high pitched whine, or random noise?)

Comment

Thanks Starfox. It is already grounded through my power supply, but I think I'll try an additional ground like you mentioned. I'll try grounding one of my mounting points. The sound is a high pitched whine and some hard drive noise (?). When I accelerate the whine picks it up. I got rid of most of it with a ground loop isolator but there's still some noise.

I also ran into another problem. I have none to very little bass when I'm listening to music from my carputer. Songs that would normally hit hard at certain points don't really hit when I listen to them through my carputer. I can listen to the same song using my HU and it will hit. Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by gambit32
            Thanks Starfox. It is already grounded through my power supply, but I think I'll try an additional ground like you mentioned. I'll try grounding one of my mounting points. The sound is a high pitched whine and some hard drive noise (?). When I accelerate the whine picks it up. I got rid of most of it with a ground loop isolator but there's still some noise.

I also ran into another problem. I have none to very little bass when I'm listening to music from my carputer. Songs that would normally hit hard at certain points don't really hit when I listen to them through my carputer. I can listen to the same song using my HU and it will hit. Any ideas?
            Ground to a BARE piece of metal, scratch ALL the paint off with sandpaper and used a nice gold ground. Dont use a ground point used by anything else. Engine noise is almost always crappy wire insulation and placement. If ANY AND I MEAN ANY sound wires are near power+ or gnd+ wires, youll get noise of some type. In car audio u run power along the left and audio on the right gutters of your car. Running things down your center console is only begging for electric noise when who knows what runs next to your wires.

Turn the car on and rev the engine, jiggle wires and see what it does. Thats the best solution; isolate the problem.

The no bass sounds only like a crossover problem with the carputer either in the software (check the EQ) or your amplifier has a Hi pass filter turned on.
            (All done)
            iPad Mini 128GB, RF 600.5 amp, JL12W0V2, 8 Infinity Components

Comment

are you using a inverter? they're nortorious for creating engine noise. I know cause i've been through 2 inverters before finally switiching to an Opus.

My first inverter didn't have any noticable engine noise...I guess because of the low wattage..only 150watt.

My second one which is a 300watt inverter gave me that engine noise you're having. and an ground look isolator between my PC and the HU. The sound qualility was weaken a bit. Bass was weak...or it could have been my HU so I can't be sure.

Later, I switch my crappy HU to a Sony HU and switch from inverter to Opus, and sound quality was much better. Now the only problem with my sound is my crappy OEM speakers that I need to upgrade.

Comment

If you're getting noise when your hard drive accesses something, your onboard sound might've been designed badly.. some motherboard brands like MSI, ECS tend to have bad PCB layouts and the onboard sound's not shielded by the ground plane from other noise sources. There isn't much you can do about that except try a pci or usb sound card.

What sort of ground loop isolator are you using? One of those RCA to RCA ones that go in between your sound card output and your head unit / amp input? Those can cut off some of your low and high frequency sounds.

And like sdashiki said, make sure your ground isn't noisy in the first place.

Comment

I am getting hard drive noise with my aurillium external usb sound. I am wondering if it is because it is bus powered, not externallly powered like the SB.

|V1 Virtual Display|

Hard work often pays off over time, laziness always pays off right now.

Comment

Ground your harddrive, I use the ITPS and was getting hdd noise and some other noise until I grounded the actually power supply connector from the hdd to the power supply ground

Like this

Power + -------Power Supply ->Computer

Power - -------Power Supply -> Computer - ----------------------------Connector ->HDD
                    | |--------------------------------|
                    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------Connector-> HDD

Comment

What if your getting noise and your pc and hdd aren't even on at the time? (and yes, I know for a fact it's coming from the pc's power line which involves a morex 55w psu and an itps)

??

Comment

I pulled EVERYTHING off of my pc, and all I had running was the CNX1260 and my amps, and still heard the noise. I bought ground loop devices, and now the noise is GONE!!
                        Epia-M II M10000 Nehemiah WinXP sp2 Travla C134 case Carnetix 1260 power Xenarc 700TS XM Direct Toslink Extigy USB 5.1 Garmin GPS18 Linksys 802.11g wireless Nokia 6230 Bluetooth Memphis Amps Focal Speakers Frontend: RoadRunner

Comment

Working...
                        X