Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to hook up 4.1 speaker from sound card directly to AMP !!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to hook up 4.1 speaker from sound card directly to AMP !!!

After debating with a few friends and reading over the forum, I decided that a center channel speaker is not useful for in car use.

So bascailly here is what I have planned. I am going to run rca from my sound card into an EQ then into my amp.

However I noticed that when I switch my speaker setup from 5.1 to 4.1, there would be no bass coming out from the BASS output of my sound card.

If I switch it to 5.1 speaker setup, there would be bass coming out from the BASS output, but since I will not have center channel speaker, the dialogue from movies will become very soft.

How can I solve this problem ?
    Honda Lagreat Carputer Project. Mobile Entertainment
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=33936

Full Spec for mods check out:
    http://www.hondashowoff.com/profile.php?id=3766

when you switch it to 4.1 you should get 5 channels of audio, one for each of the 4 surround speakers and one for bass. Your bass in a 4.1 setup may or may not be JUST bass, it may be a full range output. If this is the case, you can use a low-pass filter to pass just the bass to the amp (most amps have one built in). Otherwise, some sound cards offer the ability to mix any of the channels to the front. If yours offers this, you should be able to click a check box that will allow you to mix the center channel to the front channels, and your dialog will be louder.
    2006 Chevy Colorado: VIA M10000 EDEN, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB 2.5" Seagate HDD, USB Slim Slot DVD/RW, Holux GPS, MobileVU 10.4" LCD (touch not working yet), VOOMPC Case (blue), 70W DC-DC supply.

Comment

When I switch to 4.1, there are actaully no output from the BASS output. The only time I get BASS output is when I switch to 5.1.

The software I am using is the one that came with the sound blaster audigy 2 ZX.

Comment

doesn't 4.1 computer speakers usually just plug into front and rear? then the .1 is produced offboard in teh speakers themselves?

correct me in im wrong....

Comment

In the speaker settings under the Bass management tab there is a check box for
          Bass Redirection and a slider bar that controls your crossover point.

Once you check that, the audigy will take all the bass out of the other channels from
          that set frequency and send them to the subwoofer output.

Should solve your problem... but I have a 5.1 setup (you still need to do this using an audigy 2 NX)
          and I suggest you go for the center channel. It may be a pain to locate a good spot
          for it and find a small amp to drive it... but man.. 5.1 in a car is so cool.. If you want
          a wow factor when you show off ur carputer... 5.1 surround gets them everytime!

Plus enjoying a movie in 5.1 sounds really awesome. And when listening to mp3's it helps fill
          in the center stage of the sound some too when using the CMSS which provides stereo
          signals throughout your 5.1 or 4.1 setup.

If you were in Pittsburgh, I'd give you a demo

Good luck in whatever route you go for!
          CarPuter: Dell P3-500 Laptop; D-Link WiFi; Deluo GPS; D-Link Radio; iMac DVD w/ ide2usb
          Audio: Audigy 2 NX; Kicker KX700.5 amp; 20w center amp; Kicker L7 10" Sub
          Display: Lilliput 7" TouchScreen
          CarPuter Install

Comment

Thanks for the reply. The reason why I need bass coming out from the bass output is because I am going to hook up a monoblock to the bass output for my subwoofer.

I really do want a center channel in my vehicle but don't know where to put them. I originally planned to put it on top of my dash, but right now there are 3 defi gauges there.

After reading the forum, I believe I should have no problem going straight from my Audigy 2 to amps...am I correct ?

In my van, I have a very similar setup like this

So bascailly there is the two front seats, then there is a big TV with some space, then there are the rear seats in the back.

I am thinking if I could setup a 5.1 system just for the rear passenger. So the front left/right, and center speakers will be where the big TV is, then the rear speakers will be behind the rear seats. As for the front, I will just have a pair of left and right speakers.

I am thinking if I could mix the center channel into the left and right speaker for the front, and then have a seperate center channel for the rear passenger.

Comment

If your not going to have a tv/lcd/monitor up front.. why do you care if you hear the
              center channel at all? When playing music you'll still get your stereo sound out of those
              speakers and all will be well.

If your gonna have another screen up front, then you have a problem. And I can't think
              of any way to mix in the center channel sounds besides just placing another center channel up front also.
              One solution is if you split & run your center channel off a 2 channel amp and place a speaker in both
              doors by the main speakers, this would get you a "mix" of the 3 channels.

I'll keep thinking tho... Good Luck! Sounds like you'll have a sweet little
              5.1 movie theater in the rear of your van!
              CarPuter: Dell P3-500 Laptop; D-Link WiFi; Deluo GPS; D-Link Radio; iMac DVD w/ ide2usb
              CarPuter Install

Comment

Actaully I do have screens up front. There would be a 10.4" touch screen in the dash and 2 7" screens in the sun visors.

The main problem is it is very hard to find a place to put a center channel speaker up front.

Comment

i'm an advocate of "center channels are lost in cars". unless you sit in the center it's not very usefull. scrap putting the center channel in the front.

Comment

So at your house, everyone sits right in front of the tv?
                    You got the McLaren of surround sound setups? (single seat in the middle...)

I'm sorry, but the point of a center channel is to make it sound like the voice is
                    coming from the screen... and not from where ur sitting. Even from my backseats
                    its sounds like the actors are in the screen and the action is around you like its
                    supposed to be... like your in the world.

Granted alot of people don't want to do the customization of a 5.1 setup... fine...
                    but sounds like he's more than halfway there and he has plenty of custom stuff in
                    his van already.

Make a grill in ur dash with a simple hole pattern... mount the speakers in the vents...
                    pull out the ashtray and mount it there (what I did), put tweaters behind your rearview
                    mirror and reflect off of glass.... just a quick ramble of ideas....
                    ...plus clarion actually makes a slick 1/2 din center channel speaker/amp combo
                    for like $80ish on ebay if you have the means for locating that.

I went thru this.... I had my center so many different ways.. didn't want to
                    put one in... but I kept listening to the difference between 4.1 & 5.1...
                    ...as you can see... 5.1 won
                    CarPuter Install

Comment

Is there a solution to not have a center channel in the front but still have a center channel in the back ?

Comment

well, it sounds like you are looking to put lots of screens in your car..... May I ask what the motivation is?

Ill start with the 7" screens in the visors. why? if youve got a 10.4 in the dash, isnt the 7 inch screens kinda redundant? I dont see any need for them, even having who-has-bigger-balls syndrome, the 10.4 should be able to take care of that nicely!

it seems to be a 10.4 inch touchscreen would be able to handle your MP3 lists nicely, be able to play even street atlas very well, much less routis, do all your car music and navigation, your music video, your driving requirements. In this situation, I couldnt possibly justify a center channel, myself. two channel sound would be more than plenty. I myself am an advocate of no rear speakers at all, to have as much sound coming from in front of me as I can.

but you'll have a big screen in the back for the rear passengers, too. sounds to me like a great movie setup. I personally dont like 5.1, but it sounds like alot of people here advocate it. this sounds to me like an ideal chance to set up a wonderfully built true 5.1 setup, without being resricted by speaker locations in the dash, especailly with gauges and a 10.4 inch screen to also cram in up front.

so here is what I suggest:

I like your speaker location Ideas, but I would route signals differently. If there is a way to get the computer to control all this too, then its even more of a bonus.

youve got your front speakers, left and right. these, along with the subwoofer, would be your daily driving speakers. the front left and right for the rear passengers, along with the surrounds and center in the back, would be off. this would present an ideal music listening environment (or at least as ideal as possible). it would also let you isolate signals, if you had issues getting GPS to give directions while playing music and the like. youd have TONS of options, in this respect, and all still sonically ideal.

Then, for playing movies, the front speakers would be off completely. the five in the back would be on instead, and of course, the subwoofer which is always playing. this wouldnt have two front left and right speakers messing up the 5.1 envireonment, and everything is set up ideally for the two rear passengers for watching movies.

If you decide for whatever reason, to patch the video up front, its a smaller screen, probbaly not wide screen (im guessing) and if you arent in the back, then you are probbaly driving anyways, so whats teh point of being realistically in the world around.

If you were really slick with audio routing, you could have a movie playing on the rear screen in 5.1 while listening to music up front or GPS up front on the front two speakers. the subwoofer would share signal, it should be able to handle it reasonably well, although you might have to work on that a bit.

But thats what I would do, in this situation.

Comment

Working...
                        X