speed volume controller

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• speed volume controller

Anybody know of an aftermarket volume controller that turns up and down vol in accordance with speed? I do have a digital speedo and sending unit that I installed myself... I'm just wondering if anybody has seen or thinks they can build something like this. Mainly looking for one with rca in's and out's cause my whole system runs off of my hu pre-outs.
    Tidder

Try RevFE
    The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

That would be sweet to have... I know Porsche Boxters have something like this...
    Zen Fat Loss

Comment

I have it in my Bravada, never used it, too many features, too many toys, too little time

Comment

But no one knows about any aftermarket ones?
        Tidder

Try RevFE

Comment

Originally posted by kingtut
          I have it in my Bravada, never used it, too many features, too many toys, too little time
          Don't bother. Delco/GM's implementation of Speed Controlled Volume is a joke. The radio bumps the volume up in X decibel steps at 10 mph increments, instead of in a nice analog ramp. It's the stupidest thing I think I've ever seen done with car audio. Having said that, my wife loves this 'feature'. Of course, if they had implemented it correctly the listeners wouldn't even be aware of it functioning and where's the fun in that, right?
          '01 Chevy Xtreme Stepside (pics)

FIC K7MNF-64 / Athlon 3200 | 256 DDR | 120 GB 7.2k WD
          WinXP Pro | MediaEngine | 12.1 VGA TFT Touch|Creative CIMR-100
          350w Vector | 320w mATX PS | Hellroaring BIC95150 | ButterflySDC

Comment

I think for an aftermarket device to work you would need the following:
            * HU with remote
            * somce scaner with an interface
            * girder
            * IRman
            TOO MUCH work

Comment

Originally posted by kingtut
              I think for an aftermarket device to work you would need the following:
              * HU with remote
              * somce scaner with an interface
              * girder
              * IRman
              TOO MUCH work
              I don't know man, I already have a pulse sender from my tranny speed sensor (aftermarket for digital speedo). I would just need a device with audio input and output that variates the volume according to the amount of pulses generated by my speed sensor.
              Tidder

Try RevFE

Comment

I don't get this, why would you wan't your volume controlled by the speed you are going at, i always play my music loud so the cars noise is never a problem...at any speed really.

Jan
                Not doing carpc anymore

Comment

Originally posted by _dopehead_
                  I don't get this, why would you wan't your volume controlled by the speed you are going at, i always play my music loud so the cars noise is never a problem...at any speed really.

Jan
                  Say you pull up to a stoplight, and some hot chicks pull up next to you and say somethin' witty. You're gonna miss it becuase your f'in music is up too loud. In the time it takes you to turn your stereo down, they've already said their piece and sped off. Now you feel like **** cause you don't have any idea what they said...

Hypothetical, but could happen...

On a separate note, nobody around you likes to hear your music. I want to hear my own damn music, and don't want to have to have it so loud the damn japs can hear it. I just like it loud at cruisin' speed cause my car is so damn loud.
                  Tidder

Try RevFE

Comment

anybody out there want to take a crack at building one like maybe out of a microcontroller or something?? I don't know much about this kind of stuff. I'd pay somebody to fool around with it a bit...
                    Tidder

Try RevFE

Comment

i was thinking about this the past couple days... most japanese and european vehicles that i've seen started to have speed sensors in the 80s. american cars started getting them much later - almost all of them have em by 1996, since VSS (vehicle speed signal) is one of the required parameters in OBD-II.

most of them work on the extremely simple concept of ground pulses. toyota and mazda pull a signal down to ground with every revolution, so all you'd need there is a simple counter on a serial port. then a simple software frontend to count the pulses (or maybe have a little microcontroller doing the counting so as to offload the mundane task from the main cpu) and whenever the number changes, then change windows' (or whatever source you choose) volume appropriately. have it ramp up by a certain percentage every 2-3 mph. would need a sensitivity adjustment since not everyone's car is the same. my convertible (esp w/ the top down) will need a lot more volume increase at 70 mph than my sedan will with the windows up.

i know very little about how this would actually work from a software standpoint, but i think i have an OK understanding of the hardware side of it. i'm thinking that you may not even need any special chips or anything between the car's VSS and the carputer. just do something like connect the car's VSS wire directly to a given pin on the serial port (DSR or DTR?), then have your software listen to whatever com port and do its thing. make sense?
                      Previous: CamryAmp 1.0 - 95 Camry SE V6 Coupe (sold)
                      Current: CamryAmp 2.0 - 98 Camry CE V6 5spd (still bench-testing)

Comment

@Gibson: You are correct. I have hooked the speed sensor in my 4runner to the COM port and counted pulses--it works. In my case, the 4runner vss line peeks at alternator voltage (13.8V) so I ran the signal through a resistor and 12V hooked the serial port across the zener. As long as you don't want a super accurate measurement of speed, you can simply count the pulses over a given interval (say 1 second). It would be trivial to adjust the volume based on the count using any algorithm you wanted.
                        2004 4runner

Comment

I was just going to agree with not liking them. My mom's car have it an it is weird driving and all of a sudden your music jumps up in volume from barely being heard background music to loud. Also can turn loud music down alot when stopped. I found it very anonying.
                          openMobile - Download
                          Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

Originally posted by heezer7
                            I was just going to agree with not liking them. My mom's car have it an it is weird driving and all of a sudden your music jumps up in volume from barely being heard background music to loud. Also can turn loud music down alot when stopped. I found it very anonying.
                            yeah - the gm/delco radios i've seen with the so-called auto volume are quite annoying. my JVC el kameleon had "audio cruise" which i really liked. it raised the volume in three steps (with a nice gradient in between steps for smoothness) and it was adjustable - way more adjustable than the generic delco radios. in my camry i had it set rather low, and after changing the setting only twice, i had it tuned just right so that the apparent music volume while sitting at a red light was the same as cruising speed on the freeway. of course that went out the window (pun intended) as soon as i rolled the window down.

it was useful in my miata as well. i could have it automaticaly boost the volume at speed, so that when the top was down it would still be audible without having to reach over and turn it up, but when i slowed down for a stop sign or a slower section of road, i didn't have to turn it down - it would do it for me. it goes along with being courteous to other drivers... not to mention it hurts my ears listening to it that loud while stopped since there is no wind/white noise to wash it out.

my main problem with the jvc was that it used line noise on the acc/power lines to figure out engine speed. the problem with that was when i was out for a spirited drive, i was not in top gear - i'd be down in 4th or 3rd, maybe even 2nd - WAY up in the rpm range, so that the jvc thinks i'm going really fast so it needs to be really loud. if the stereo was getting a signal from VSS instead of alternator noise, it wouldn't matter what gear i'm in. and usually when i'm in that upper rpm range (above 4k rpm) i don't want to hear the music anyway - my engine is making the music i'm interested in.

rando - do you mind sharing the software you use for your auto volume control? and maybe a little schematic showing how it's hooked up?
                            Previous: CamryAmp 1.0 - 95 Camry SE V6 Coupe (sold)
                            Current: CamryAmp 2.0 - 98 Camry CE V6 5spd (still bench-testing)

Comment

@Gibson: I didn't do the volume control. I just said it wouldn't be a huge deal to do. I'm sure the monkey can pitch in somehting suitable to deal with volume. I can post the code to read the serial control line. It's in VB.Net. Again, it's not super reliable but should be accurate enough for volume control purposes.

As for the schematic, I'm not going to waste the time loading up a schematic editor for that. For my car (yours may be and probably is different), I connected a resistor to the speed sensor signal and a 12V zener to the other side of the resistor and ground. I then hooked up one of the serial control lines between the zener and resistor. This feeds the speed pulses (clamped to 12V max) to the control line. Though not technially compliant with RS232, most modern serial ports will accept 0V as logic 1. 12V is a logic 0. The code sets up an interrupt on the serial port status lines and then counts the number of times the control value changes.

To determine what my speed sensor signal looked like, I hooked it up to a scope. I then created a small 555 timer based circuit to create a similar pulse stream so that I could test my circuit and code in the house without risking any damage to my car. Because the serial control lines are not buffered and XP is not a real time OS, it's possible that you will miss pulses (ie a status lines changes before you finish processing the previous interrupt). With a different implementation strategy for the software, I think this problem could mostly be avoided. When I get around to posting the software, it will up to whomever uses it to deal with this issue -- or ignore it all together. Again, for the volume control purpose, it may be accurate enough.
                              2004 4runner

Comment

Working...
                              X