Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Digital Aux Input

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Digital Aux Input

    Thought I'd ask an old question again...

    Are there any Head Units with an Optical or Coaxial SPDIF input?

    Likewise, other than the TDK 6ch amp, has any one seen or used an amp with digital input? How bout for a reasonable price?
    '03 Escape 4WD:
    -iTox mini-itx mobo, Core 2 Duo Mobile 1.66Ghz; 2GB, 80GB 2.5" HD, DS-ATX
    -Transflective 8.4"
    -XM, iG4, OBD-II (BR-3)
    -Rearview camera with auto-switching (modified cheesbox)
    -Slim Slot DVD+RW
    -RR, DFX 4

  • #2
    Probably nothing except extremely high end headunits. Even my high end Eclipse only has a Coax SPDIF out for use with a DSP.
    G945GLCF2 | 512MB RAM | 160GB HD | Holux GPS w/ Routis | XMPCR w/ TOSLINK mod | Audigy 2 NX | | Xenarc 700TSV |Opus 150W PSU.

    Comment


    • #3
      Have not seen HU with digital in

      amps as follow
      prototype) Pulsus Tech 6ch Digital Amp (SPDIF input or I2S)
      Alpine V12-Accuclass D MRA-D550 5 channel. 2 optical in.
      Pioneer RS-A9 4 channel
      Pioneer RS A7 4 channel

      more to follow.
      price unknown
      ps. some of the sony's high end system use optical to transmit. not sure if they will work with other brand's head unit or carputer
      ***
      CarPC Ver 4 completed. Aopen i45GMT-HD, C2D mobile 2GHz. Photofast 64GB SSD. Novatel EU-850D

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ptk
        Have not seen HU with digital in

        amps as follow
        prototype) Pulsus Tech 6ch Digital Amp (SPDIF input or I2S)
        Alpine V12-Accuclass D MRA-D550 5 channel. 2 optical in.
        Pioneer RS-A9 4 channel
        Pioneer RS A7 4 channel
        Also Phoenix Gold has the OCTANE-R 5.1MT.
        It can be had for about $400 with shipping at the few places I have seen it listed. List is $450.

        Looks pretty sweet. If anyone has one of these, write us a review!

        Thanks.
        '94 Taurus GL
        Selling all this too! [Wifi][GPS][TV/FM PCI]
        Progress Meter: [|----------] 00.3%

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ptk
          Alpine V12-Accuclass D MRA-D550 5 channel. 2 optical in.
          Is that thing out yet? I remember talking to one of our reps almost a year ago about that amp... I wanted it and was told it would be out soon... of course, to this day, I haven't seen any info on it other than the stuff he showed me. I guess I could call my supplier but its not even on Alpine's website. Soooo... you have any info? Thanks!
          Coach... aka Randy! (I often forget who I really am!) ;)

          ***Too many pieces and parts to list... maybe someday I'll show'm to ya!***

          Comment


          • #6
            My Eclipse CD8454 has a Coaxial SPDIF Input for stereo PCM data.

            I run my carputer into it.
            1995 Saturn SL2
            Carputer removed.
            Pioneer DEH-P880PRS head unit
            Soundstream Rubicon 600-4 4 Chan Amp
            Diamond Audio D661s components w/Active Crossovers
            MB Quart RAA1000 monoblock amp
            2 Alpine Type R 1041D 10"s

            Comment


            • #7
              So is your Coaxial SPDIF Input on your head unit selectable as an AUX, and does it use the HU's internal amp? If so, that is so cool. But, I don't think I'll have room or the desire to have a HU.

              I'm calling PG tomorrow about that amp though. I'm kinda bummed that I can't find a single review of it online.
              '94 Taurus GL
              Selling all this too! [Wifi][GPS][TV/FM PCI]
              Progress Meter: [|----------] 00.3%

              Comment


              • #8
                I think the Phoenix gold is the only one out I can't find the alpine or pioneer amps with digital inputs anywhere and I have been looking.




                Originally posted by ptk

                amps as follow
                prototype) Pulsus Tech 6ch Digital Amp (SPDIF input or I2S)
                Alpine V12-Accuclass D MRA-D550 5 channel. 2 optical in.
                Pioneer RS-A9 4 channel
                Pioneer RS A7 4 channel

                Comment


                • #9
                  Old School Sony Moble ES cdx-90, and cdx-910, both can do it with a optional digital connection add-on, I'm currently using a Panasonic cy-ac300, hidaway unit, No HU, running digital to my Sonica sound card, Amazing sound,
                  http://www.geocities.com/dingofarmer/prelude.html
                  http://www.geocities.com/dingofarmer/prelude2.html

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by rajah
                    Also Phoenix Gold has the OCTANE-R 5.1MT.
                    It can be had for about $400 with shipping at the few places I have seen it listed. List is $450.

                    Looks pretty sweet. If anyone has one of these, write us a review!

                    Thanks.
                    I have the Phoenix Gold 5.1MT. It's works good, I love the optical input, no noise, etc.

                    The downsides I haven't been able to make the sub woofer output work. The line level pre-outs for a secondary sub woofer amp are well below what they should we, 3 Volts, so I haven't been able to another amp either. I guess I'll have to send mine back eventually but would likely lose all audio in my car for a few weeks while it's being fixed.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Isn't the 100Watt Sub Channle enough

                      The only issue I have with the PhoenixGold is the rated Power is at 14.4V (something no one can get) the real power output is 18x5 and 37x1 which is way low for a car system I think..

                      I was going to get a DEQ with Optical inputs and plug the carpc into that.



                      Originally posted by Zip-Lock
                      I have the Phoenix Gold 5.1MT. It's works good, I love the optical input, no noise, etc.

                      The downsides I haven't been able to make the sub woofer output work. The line level pre-outs for a secondary sub woofer amp are well below what they should we, 3 Volts, so I haven't been able to another amp either. I guess I'll have to send mine back eventually but would likely lose all audio in my car for a few weeks while it's being fixed.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by belezeebub
                        Isn't the 100Watt Sub Channle enough

                        The only issue I have with the PhoenixGold is the rated Power is at 14.4V (something no one can get) the real power output is 18x5 and 37x1 which is way low for a car system I think..
                        My sub channel doesn't work either. But I would doubt that it would be very powerful given the size of the amp. I don't think itís not sable below 2 ohms. It's not as big as I was expecting and it only weights about 5 pounds. I was expecting something more heavy. It drives the main channels just fine.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          the denford unit (rockford fosgate 8250 built by denon) has digital inputs

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X