Inconsistent Noise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inconsistent Noise

Hoping someone can help me on this. I have a Shuttle PC being powered by an AC inverter. The line out of the PC goes into the input of my head unit. If the vehicle is not running, I do not get any noise but when the vehicle is running I get noise here and there, almost sounds like static in an electrical storm. There is no whining, just static spikes. I assume this is HD noise that I see mentioned here?

If I take my XM Roady and plug that output into my head unit inputs, I do not get any of this noise so it is isolated to the PC, I assume.

Is this familiar to anyone? Where should I start? Grounding the chasis makes sense of course but I just wanted to hear from you more experienced PC car people.

Thanks,

Troy
    Done!

If you're into fishing, checkout my website! http://www.pennsylvaniaanglers.com

Probably an inverter problem. Inverters are not very clean sources of power. I would recommend temporarily hooking your computer up to 120V power with an extension cable and see if that solves the problem. If it does you might want to invest in an OPUS.

Comment

ground everything really really well. (Oh, and you might get someone giving you the "SEARCH" cus this has been covered.)

Comment

It is alternator wine! If yo dont hear it when the car is off its the power coming from the car.You probaly are running cheap wires or are running the signal and power wires next to each other.If you want IM me on MSN at [email protected] and I can help you diagnose the problem.

Originally posted by TimmyM
        (Oh, and you might get someone giving you the "SEARCH" cus this has been covered.)
        I hate these ppl who do this just cause thay r to lazy to answer the question.
        2-15" ILO lcd w/DVI
        6800 gt Duel DVI out
        p4 1.6ghz flex atx board
        1gb 400 ram
        120gb(2-60gb raid) sata hd
        2-60gb hotswap
        WIN2K Pro SP2
        M.A.M.E. w/2,300 games
        CARPuter info

Comment

i have a similar problem its with the fm modulator i have. had it working for some time then the other day i start hearing this do you think a cap will help that? any way to filter the power?

Thanks
          1990 Jeep Cherokee
          2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
          2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

ya you can put a filter on the power but the noise is caused by having unsheilded cables (RCAs),or cheap units that skip on proper sheilding the unit.Its all about the magnetic frequencies sending a signal into the audio line somwhere.
            2-15" ILO lcd w/DVI
            6800 gt Duel DVI out
            p4 1.6ghz flex atx board
            1gb 400 ram
            120gb(2-60gb raid) sata hd
            2-60gb hotswap
            WIN2K Pro SP2
            M.A.M.E. w/2,300 games
            CARPuter info

Comment

just got one from raido shack and it made it go away i also think i had a lose rca but its all good now. fhew

my cables are all monster cable so they are good.
              1990 Jeep Cherokee
              2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
              2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

Forget that I mentioned any of this guys. I found out I had a loose ground wire to my power inverter. Simply tightened it up and viola, perfect!

The randomness of the noise was due to me hitting bumps and shaking the wire...go figure!

My whole intention of this PC thing was for navigation only and not to be tied into my audio system but I have got to admit, I am enjoying the heck out of this!

Thanks for all of the help anyways!

Troy
                Done!

If you're into fishing, checkout my website! http://www.pennsylvaniaanglers.com

Comment

I have a pc related sound problem i just got the DC-DC converter off of ebay ($25) and when i power the laptop from it the lcd gets some interference and the audio has a lot if i run the laptop of its internal bat or AC its gone.

Think i can filter the power before the DC-DC or what should i do. i saw a DC-DC at radio shack for $120 maybe you get cleaner power that wont casue that?

can i ground the audio / video cables any way?

Thanks
                  1990 Jeep Cherokee
                  2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
                  2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

Working...
                  X