X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12Volts is for Wussies

Read this article

http://www.caraudiomag.com/specialfe...307cae_42volt/

For those of use who do car audio more than carputers, this is a good read. And for those of us who just wanna be informed, its good news. Who really knows when this will all happen but imagine smaller amps, or same size amps but lots more power. Why have 120V at home and 12V in the car? Well no brainer on that one, but really today why still use such a low voltage on cars who now have GPS, DVD and power everything, its just not practical.

What does this mean for carputers? Ummm who the hell knows.
    (All done)
    iPad Mini 128GB, RF 600.5 amp, JL12W0V2, 8 Infinity Components

Sounds good. And the conversion wont be so bad. Its awkward having to run 4 gauge and 1/0 gauge wire throughout your car.
    Audio Rockford Fosgate: 900 Watt 4-channel amp, 501bd Mono amp
    Computer AMD 2400+ XP, 1 GB DDR RAM, Orbit Micro 250W DC-DC PSU

Head units are for cheaters!
    sure some girls fake orgasms.....but it's guys like me who fake the whole relationship

Comment

The tred for designing lower-voltage components is a good one. It is a step towards mini-eletronics
      ,./(0)3

'04 Canyon 4x4 pickup

[---PC on hold----working on external fiberglass "tool" box---]

Comment

120V is for wussies too, mayb u should upgrade to 240V in your home at the same time
        Signature: [==||========] 20% complete

Comment

Why they didn't design for 48v/56v is beyond me. Would be better, but then again,
          I'm not an engineer.
          [H]4 Life
          My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
          It will be done sometime in the next generation.
          I'm a lesbian too.
          I am for hire!

Comment

Very Interesting. I knew that doubiling the voltage at 24v was being talked about but i didn't know they actually agreed on it. Like the article said it is a ways down the road and you need to buy the car frst before reaping the benifits of the electronics. I'll talk to you in 15 years
            -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

I think it was 12V (13.8V) to begin with because it's an array of 6 cells at aprox 2.3V each, and there wasn't technology to reduce the size of the battery at that point. Anything larger would've been very heavy.

Some trucks here (the ones that carry lots of sand, rubble, ore, etc) in Australia are 24V already, as they have huge starter motors.

Alternatively, go buy a Toyota Prius and build your own regulator from the ~70V subsystem ^^ Maybe your amps won't even need a toriod at that voltage hehe

Comment

the bmw 7 series is already using 48v
                View My Blog

Click for 2GB FREE on-line storage!

Comment

I thought 42v was used because of electrocution risks... (starts from 48v on, no?)

I might as well be very wrong!
                  List of front-ends/usefull apps
                  XTroniC | XTroniC Direct

Comment

I heard it was because they (don't know who) didn't want more then 12v running around the car because of a greater risk of fires
                    CarComputer Status: New Car & Broken (Motherboard Fried)
                    Owen JH | My Linux Blog | The Tech Fellows

Comment

In comparison, don't airplanes and jets use something higher than 12v?

Mebbe that's what we need for an In Car HUD <G>

Mind Scream out
                      Mind Scream out

Comment

Originally posted by mindscream
                        In comparison, don't airplanes and jets use something higher than 12v?

Mebbe that's what we need for an In Car HUD <G>

Mind Scream out
                        Large aircraft use 115VAC and 28VDC (Some other voltages are used around the place but is usually system specific). Small aircraft (small single and twin prop aircraft) tend to use 28VDC and / or 12VDC
                        Never let the truth get in the way of a good story

Comment

u need more than 48vdc to get a serious electric.

the reason for the rise in voltage is the amount of current new car draw..
                          and the simple old 12v altinator is getting to the limmit of how much current they can produce for it size. by makeing it 48v they only have to produce 1/4 of the current.

the 7 series bwm and s-class merc both have over 100 electic motors just inside the cabin.. think how many amps are eing used there.
                          View My Blog

Click for 2GB FREE on-line storage!

Comment

didn't i also read that with the new voltage, u can now introduce teh possibility of using soleniods as valve openers instead of cams? would be infinitely variable cam profiles and timing

Comment

Working...
                            X