Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

that burning smell

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • that burning smell

    I'm aware that this is very vague, but I was wondering...

    I just installed my subs and amp into my '91 accord (I swear, that car is pimp-able), and after about a minute of pretty loud playing, I got a melting/burning smell..Also, my 'seatbelt-unfastened'* light flicked a bit. I went home and checked everything, and found no problems. No wires were too hot, nothing had burned, it was all good. Later that day, I turned it up again, and I didn't get a burning smell, but I got very warm air out of the vents (warmer than usual). The AC was not on. My first guess was the alternator, checked that out, and with the AC off, I still got about 14 Volts across the terminals.

    Right now, I'm not too concerned about it, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask around if anyone had encountered anything similar. I'm totally blank on what the problem is. I'm using a monster wiring kit, 8 gauge, which is what my amp says it needs.. Any ideas ?

    Tell me if you need something clarified.

    *: actually my battery light
    I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.

    www.neoterikos.com

  • #2
    WooWoooo!
    www.i-hacked.com Hardware hacking articles

    Comment


    • #3
      Ur right ! that is helpful !
      I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.

      www.neoterikos.com

      Comment


      • #4
        actually its

        WooWooo!


        and did you check all your fuses?

        what kind of amp?

        are you confident with your installation abilities?
        rebuilding carpc... kinda..

        Comment


        • #5
          fuses are good

          amp is a crunch PZN-2250 250 x 2 watts

          I know little about car stereos, but dad has a major in electical engineering....
          I was raised believing that meant something..
          I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.

          www.neoterikos.com

          Comment


          • #6
            it might just be your car dying.
            rebuilding carpc... kinda..

            Comment


            • #7
              o ok good
              I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.

              www.neoterikos.com

              Comment


              • #8
                got it you only let some of the smoke out of the wiring -- keep going so you let the rest of that bad smoke out and YOU WILL find out what went wrong
                go to sears and get a optical temp prob find the hot harness-- then fix befor you have a fire .
                http://www.infrared-usa.com/default.asp?param1=overture

                Comment


                • #9
                  I didn't really understand that, but it sounded like a bad idea.. so explain further if its an idea worth being heard
                  I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.

                  www.neoterikos.com

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    run the amps for a short (non damaging ) amount of time. then use the temp prob to check the temp of suspected wiring-find a hot harness- then follow that to the source of high load. i use this a work to find melfunctioning componets in cars. i am a mitsubishi/nissan master tech, this help to find a cuciut that is not shorted but has a high draw.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      ok that makes sense. Good idea. I may try that
                      I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.

                      www.neoterikos.com

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by pimpJ
                        I just installed my subs [and] I got a melting/burning smell.
                        Dude... I love that smell. Its the new sub smell. I'm not kidding and I'm sure that's what it was. Just like breaking in your car when its new, you break in your speakers when they're brand new. You'll probably notice it again a few more times, but it should go away soon.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Adam432823
                          Dude... I love that smell. Its the new sub smell. I'm not kidding and I'm sure that's what it was. Just like breaking in your car when its new, you break in your speakers when they're brand new. You'll probably notice it again a few more times, but it should go away soon.
                          Adam has a point, depeneding on there power ratings (Handling) and matching impedance you will normally cause the Voice coils to smoke and burn a little this is purely the varnish laquer that the coils are coated in, normally this smell should fade away, smell closer to the speaker cones to see if you can isolate the smell to that area.
                          As for damagin the speakers this will quite clearly be heard by distortion in the sound at higher volumes the only damage you may possibly be doing to you amps would be prehaps shorting them or partially shorting them, this again all comes to matching impedance ratings on the subs and making sure that the speakers are capable of accepting the power the amp can provide, this works both ways for protecting your speakers and your amps, By the way i am not a car audio engineer and i know very little about it, so i hope any of this helps
                          Co Develper of A.I.M.E.E Automotive Intelligent Multimedia Entertainment Engine
                          www.aimee.cc

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by lawrence
                            run the amps for a short (non damaging ) amount of time. then use the temp prob to check the temp of suspected wiring-find a hot harness- then follow that to the source of high load. i use this a work to find melfunctioning componets in cars. i am a mitsubishi/nissan master tech, this help to find a cuciut that is not shorted but has a high draw.
                            off topic here, but could you get me a technical repair manual for mitsu diamante?

                            On topic I don't think you have a problem. If you do you'll find out sooner than later and as long as you have the proper fuses in place then you'll find out safely.
                            Georgia Area Meet Photos

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              that's comforting, but...

                              today, on a few occasions, my battery light flickered.. I checked out the owners manual and everything and the most descriptive they got was "get the electrical system checked." The 2 times I noticed it were both when I had the car at higher RPM. (possibly coencedence, maybe not.)

                              I really haven't had any problems yet, I'm just concerned a bit
                              I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.

                              www.neoterikos.com

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X