Off to a bad start. Time to buy a new HU. :(

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off to a bad start. Time to buy a new HU. :(

So I started doing the preliminary bits of my car pc installation. I'd found the pin-out for the 13 pin connector on the back of my stock unit and was intending to hook it up to the computer audio. I don't know if I got the wiring wrong (I'm pretty certain I didn't) but when I tested my wire out, there was a small amount of smoke and my radio switched off. I took it out and apart as much as possible (the case sides are soldered into the circuit board!) and can't see anything that looks dead. It still has a green glow when it's powered but it won't switch on.

Looks like I'm in the market for a new HU which is a crying shame since if I'd just gone and bought one with an aux in port, I could have used this one in my other car with the dodgy radio (won't turn on for most of the winter...).
    Progress: 80% - Permanent install left.
    Motion LS800 Tablet PC and dock.
    Vista, Bu-535 GPS, RoadRunner, MPT2006.

Originally posted by Arathranar
    So I started doing the preliminary bits of my car pc installation. I'd found the pin-out for the 13 pin connector on the back of my stock unit and was intending to hook it up to the computer audio. I don't know if I got the wiring wrong (I'm pretty certain I didn't) but when I tested my wire out, there was a small amount of smoke and my radio switched off. I took it out and apart as much as possible (the case sides are soldered into the circuit board!) and can't see anything that looks dead. It still has a green glow when it's powered but it won't switch on.

Looks like I'm in the market for a new HU which is a crying shame since if I'd just gone and bought one with an aux in port, I could have used this one in my other car with the dodgy radio (won't turn on for most of the winter...).
    feel for you dude! open up casing and look for burnt out components
    Co Develper of A.I.M.E.E Automotive Intelligent Multimedia Entertainment Engine
    www.aimee.cc

Comment

Oh My! Well, hard lesson learned... I think most of us have been there one time or another...
      2003 Chevy Tahoe Z71
      STOLEN - M10000, 512MB, 60GB 2.5" HDD, 7" Custom mounted Lilliput, Morex 3688 Case, 90W PSU w/ ITPS, GPS & CD-RW/DVD. New parts ordered for the next generation!

Comment

Is the big many wire connector plug standard or will i have to redo the wiring if I get a too dissimilar radio model as a replacement?

I'm thinking of trying to get hold of the exact model that people reported success with this cable and trying again :-). Mine wasn't the same model but it had the same connector so I assumed it would work. Might have been a bad assumption.

Comment

Originally posted by Arathranar
          Is the big many wire connector plug standard or will i have to redo the wiring if I get a too dissimilar radio model as a replacement?

I'm thinking of trying to get hold of the exact model that people reported success with this cable and trying again :-). Mine wasn't the same model but it had the same connector so I assumed it would work. Might have been a bad assumption.
          Ahhh !
          Co Develper of A.I.M.E.E Automotive Intelligent Multimedia Entertainment Engine
          www.aimee.cc

Comment

If id dosn't look modified and your warrenty is still good bring it in for a new radio. I've done that before
            2002 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 4DR
            Aleroputer 90% done (ripped out and being rewired)
            MYMODS:
            Pioneer Head unit in a remote location, Clarion Amp, XM Satilite Radio, 2 10" Audiobahn DVC Subs wired 1 ohm in a bandpass box, Grill Mesh, Halo Guages

Comment

Woohoo! It was just the radio fuse. I have it working again after replacing it.

Comment

Damn, no it isn't. Connected the antenna back up and was still getting just noise and the volume control had no effect. Then after being on about 30 seconds, it blew the fuse again. Guess I did fry something, but I can't see what.

Comment

Working...
                X