Getting sound to car's speakers....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting sound to car's speakers....

I just registered with the site the other day, but I have been learning alot from here for almost a year now. I am a car audio installer by profession..... I notice alot of talk about people getting amps so they can put the sound through the stock speakers. You dont have to get an amp to do this. An FM modulator would work just as well and be alot cheaper. Also I see that most people use the output on their sound car and an adapter to get the output to RCA style outputs so they can plug it into an amp. If The sound from the computer is set up this way you are looseing a ton of sound quality due to the fact that there is no left, right seperation. I highly recomend an external usb sound card that has RCA outputs on it for optimal sound,

Not trying to bash anyone or come into your forum and tell you that you are doing anything wrong, just trying to help out and share my experices.

BTW, I have a 95 chevy S-10 and my computer project is about ready to go into the truck.

Well, the FM modulator is one (known) option, an aux input (maybe by emulating a cd-changer) is another.

On the second matter, it depends what kind of adapter you use to get to rca. I have cables that are separated, right in the mini-jack connector, so I will not notice much interference from the other channels, will I?

Either way, welcome to the forum, and thanks for that helping spirit (much better that those people posing 1000 questions in their first post, with answers just a search away )

Joa
    List of front-ends/usefull apps
    XTroniC | XTroniC Direct

Comment

I use a 5.1 PCI sound card. I have L/R + F/R using RCA to 1/8" jack cables. No sound quality loss.
      My Install Thread
      digitaljetta.com

MKIV VW Jetta
      How do I get sound to my car?

Comment

Originally posted by futuresweets10
        You dont have to get an amp to do this. An FM modulator would work just as well and be alot cheaper. Also I see that most people use the output on their sound car and an adapter to get the output to RCA style outputs so they can plug it into an amp. If The sound from the computer is set up this way you are looseing a ton of sound quality due to the fact that there is no left, right seperation. I highly recomend an external usb sound card that has RCA outputs on it for optimal sound,
        If you'd read in depth at all, you'd know the following:
        1) Sound quality from FM modulators is spotty, at best.
        2) The best sound quality is from the external SoundBlaster Audigy units that have the L/R RCA outs, just like you recomend.
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert
          2) The best sound quality is from the external SoundBlaster Audigy units that have the L/R RCA outs, just like you recomend.
          1) Agree.
          2) There is no SQ loss whether you use the RCA out or a 1/8" -> RCA L/R cable.
          My Install Thread
          digitaljetta.com

MKIV VW Jetta

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert
            If you get a good modulator and it is a WIRED in one and not the common "wireless" type they sound just as good as the quality of radio stations

Comment

Originally posted by futuresweets10
              If you get a good modulator and it is a WIRED in one and not the common "wireless" type they sound just as good as the quality of radio stations
              and radio stations don't have very good quality

Comment

really good FM is still poor quality, not something I'd recommend for a good audio system.

Cheers,
                Grant
                http://www.bluetube.com
                Cheers,
                Grant
                '03 Corvette Z06 - car pc soon
                '99 Eclipse GSX
                '03 Ducati Monster

Comment

future: You may want to (re)check my sticky;

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32430

It's in the newbie area but I think it might serve just as well in the car audio section.
                  My Install Thread
                  digitaljetta.com

MKIV VW Jetta

Comment

Working...
                  X