Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amp wont turn on, just keeps blinking, help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp wont turn on, just keeps blinking, help!

Hey everyone,

I bought a used Clarion APX400.4 amplifier off a friend. I wired it up and when I try to power it up (turn on the stereo), the power LED just keeps blinking once every maybe 5 seconds and I hear a slight pop in the speakers. I tested the connections with a multimeter and they all appear fine. Any ideas what might be wrong and/or how I can fix it?

Thanks,
    Chris
    2004 Ford Mustang Mach 1
    Specs: Epia M2-1000, 512mb ram, SB Audigy NX, Lilliput 7" Touchscreen, M2-ATX, DVD, 160gb HDD, gps, obdII, wifi, bluetooth, XM radio, HQCT and Logitech wireless gamepad.
    Install Status: DONE

My XM FAQ

Is your ground ok? This is the most common problem...
    05155'30"N 0434'31"E

Comment

Check your ground, fuses, and wires/connections. What size amp and what gauge wiring are you using?

Comment

Like he said... check all your connections. then double check, mine has done that a couple times and it was always mis wiring
        -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

my guess is check the ohm load.
          Chris
          Car=Dodge Neon ACR.
          PC=Cappuccino GX1 Mini-Book - 800MHz, 256MB ,5GB, CD, XP payed $230
          Screen=8" Lilliput XGA T/S payed $360
          ITPS payed $46
          DVD Drive payed $43
          Ebay GPS Mouse + Software payed $52

Comment

My first guess would be the remote wire. Make sure that it has a good connection. I went through hell with one of my amps because of a single remote wire.
            Quick! To the Popemobile!

Comment

i've checked all the connections, they are fine. i thought it was the ohm load too, doesn't seem to be. if i disconnect all the speaker wire and try to power it on, i get the same thing. the fuse keeps popping, so i just jimmy rigged a bypass and it still doesn't power on. just keeps blinking. god damnit. i think its fried
              2004 Ford Mustang Mach 1
              Specs: Epia M2-1000, 512mb ram, SB Audigy NX, Lilliput 7" Touchscreen, M2-ATX, DVD, 160gb HDD, gps, obdII, wifi, bluetooth, XM radio, HQCT and Logitech wireless gamepad.

My XM FAQ

Comment

If you bypass the fuse then that chance is big yea
                05155'30"N 0434'31"E

Comment

i bypassed it after everything else failed
                  2004 Ford Mustang Mach 1

My XM FAQ

Comment

Which fuse is popping? The amp fuse?
                    Georgia Area Meet Photos

Comment

Another question: Are you using RCA inputs?
                      Georgia Area Meet Photos

Comment

the amp fuse is popping, i'm using rca inputs which are coming from my sb audigy nx sound card
                        2004 Ford Mustang Mach 1

My XM FAQ

Comment

If you're blowing fuses whenever you turn on the amp, then its toast. Those should only blow when you're drawing too much amperage (IE, you've got it turned up too loud). Any other time they blow, its cause you've got a malfunction. Shorting it out to make it turn on is a seriously bad ******* idea. You could be dead shorting your battery, leads to dead batteries and melted insulation on your wires. No insulation means fire.

Comment

oh isn't that wonderful, sweet!
                            2004 Ford Mustang Mach 1

My XM FAQ

Comment

Adam is right. There is an internal short somewhere and the amp is probably blown. I would take it to a local electronics repair shop that does free estimates and see what it would cost to fix it if you can't send/take it back.
                              7" Lilli TS, Soyo K7VME, Semperon 2200, 160GB Maxtor, 512mb PC3200, Deluo GPS, Panasonic Slim DVD/CD RW, Linksys WMP545G , Opus 150w, XMDirect, XP Pro, FP, IG [XXXXXXXXX-] 90%
                              ATVMS.com

Comment

Working...
                              X