Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dynamat substitutes?

dynamat is expensive

what are the cheaper substitutes to use that will yield the same type of sound deadening results?
    2004 G35 Coupe project

Paxmate is made for computers.
    ,./(0)3

'04 Canyon 4x4 pickup

[---PC on hold----working on external fiberglass "tool" box---]

Comment

using it for computer or car, as in to stop your trunk from rattling from too much bass? anyway something called brown bead is used. But i prefer the spray on stuff, that stuff gets in all the cracks.

Comment

http://www.b-quiet.com/

I used the b-quiet extreme... works very well. Can be found on ebay for like $125 shipped for 100 sq ft with the free wooden roller.

Comment

Roofing ice guard, 'tis thick butyl rubber with an adhesive backing, $50-70 for a 60' roll which equates to 180sqft I think.

Comment

Originally posted by wizawuza
            http://www.b-quiet.com/

I used the b-quiet extreme... works very well. Can be found on ebay for like $125 shipped for 100 sq ft with the free wooden roller.

Thats what i used, i bught it direct from them. i can acutally say it works GREAT i hear almost no road noise and now i can here my audio.
            1990 Jeep Cherokee
            2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
            2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by msb5150
              Roofing ice guard, 'tis thick butyl rubber with an adhesive backing, $50-70 for a 60' roll which equates to 180sqft I think.

PEAL n' SEAL! There are also other substitutes used in machinery.... it has a 1" foam backing to it. Supposed to be really good stuff.
              2000 Subaru OBS

Dell P3 @ 900 Mhz
              7" Lilliput TS w/DigitalWW in-dash mount
              80GB External HD

I am Zero Bitrate....

Comment

secondskin

Comment

http://www.edesignaudio.com/edead.htm

Haven't used but looks good. I think I found out about it from a post on this board.

Comment

I've used PEAL n' SEAL!. You can get it at Lowes. It's made for water sealing roofs, but it's works just like Dynamat extreme.

Comment

I used 2 rolls of raam mat on my last project and it worked quite well for a good price. But then again the guy is about 15min away, heh.

http://www.raamaudio.com/

Comment

I have like, 400 sqft of bquiet extreme in my suburban, this stuff works better than dynamat xtreme, and I've used dynamat products for years. It's just too expensive to use that much dynamat when the bquiet stuff sticks better. DO NOT USE THE INDUSTRIAL STUFF. It will peel off and doesn't have near the qualities of real sound deadening stuff. It is not designed to be applied to surfaces which are not flat and clean.. and it's brittle. You need the extreme series mats, stuff which has aluminum backing and a really ridiculously sticky tar. Also, overlap all your sheets/pieces. roll down every bit of it with the roller.

Comment

stay away from stormguard, it doesnt work.

my favorite deadener of all time is expanding foam. Nothing strengthens a car better (maybe cement. Actually definitely cement)

expanding foam can't be used in as many places as a good sheet mass loading deadener, however. I like to use the proper deadener in teh proper locations for best effect. For example, foa in teh trunk lid, covered with sheet deadeener. spray rubberized undercoating on the door skins. foam in the rear quarter panels and in the trunk behind panneling. cloth padding for interior panneling. etc

edit: I like the aluminum backed stuff too, but it can be a real problem in doors where resonance from speakers can cause isues with cone motion. I dont even know if thats the cause. but aluminum backed deadener might cause you problems in the doors behind the speakers. I like it especially for the trunk lid over the foam though, the aluminum provides a surface to put a cosmetic covering over.

Comment

Foam??? I'm no expert in this area, but wouldn't foam absorb moisture and cause a deadly function by applying constant moisture to the body which will end up in premature rust.

big_cali - about the b-quiet - does your car smell like tar on hot summer days? Know a few people who have complained about that.
                            Mark

Car'Puter Project
                            - Xenarc 700TSV
                            - MSI RS482M-IL Mobo + AMD Turion MT-32 (25W)
                            - 1x 256MB Corsair XMMS DDR400
                            - M2-ATX
                            - Belkin 802.11G W-Nic
                            - Garmin 15H GPS
                            - WinXP SP2 (NLited)

Comment

*shrug* water will soak into your seats too and mold and mildew, ruining your interior.

noone foams the outside of their car!

Comment

Working...
                              X