Advice Needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice Needed

I need advice. I've been thumbing through major websites and seaching, but I seek the advice of those in this forum.

I drive a regular cab pickup. It has two 6 1/2" speakers and two tweeters higher up in the door. That's all I have and all there is room for.

The stock 6 1/2's were terrible, and I dont have much of an ear for quality. I replaced them with 6.5" from Infinity. They were on sale and sound much much better since they have polypropylene cones. They are 60 watt RMS, 180 peak.

I'm looking at $150-$200 for a head unit. I need front AUX inputs for my mp3 player and would like XM builit-in. I hate to seach car audio forums because they are overwhelming to me. Can anyone recommend a head unit around that range? Or suggest ones to stay away from? I have a GMC stock radio, which is slightly larger than double din.

I'm thinking it would be nice to have a din HU with a CB radio under it in the stock opening. Thanks for the advice.

Joe, computer guru, not much much for car audio
    ,./(0)3

'04 Canyon 4x4 pickup

[---PC on hold----working on external fiberglass "tool" box---]

Personally, I find it easiest to just go to a local car audio shop, tell them what you want, and see what they offer you.
    2007 Honda Fit Sport 1.5L SOHC-VTEC

Comment

...and apparently everyone agrees with you.
      ,./(0)3

'04 Canyon 4x4 pickup

Comment

Check out the Crutchfield site for headunits that offer the features you want, then find a local store where you can actually listen to them and play with the controls.
        System status: in progress

Comment

No stereo has XM Built in, you have to ad a unit to it. To to a car audio place that the people are not on commision and tell them exactly what you want.
          2002 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 4DR
          Aleroputer 90% done (ripped out and being rewired)
          MYMODS:
          Pioneer Head unit in a remote location, Clarion Amp, XM Satilite Radio, 2 10" Audiobahn DVC Subs wired 1 ohm in a bandpass box, Grill Mesh, Halo Guages

Comment

Originally posted by aleromaster
            No stereo has XM Built in
            That's not true because I've seen a few.
            ,./(0)3

'04 Canyon 4x4 pickup

Comment

Originally posted by EBFoxbat
              I need advice. I've been thumbing through major websites and seaching, but I seek the advice of those in this forum.

I drive a regular cab pickup. It has two 6 1/2" speakers and two tweeters higher up in the door. That's all I have and all there is room for.

The stock 6 1/2's were terrible, and I dont have much of an ear for quality. I replaced them with 6.5" from Infinity. They were on sale and sound much much better since they have polypropylene cones. They are 60 watt RMS, 180 peak.

I'm looking at $150-$200 for a head unit. I need front AUX inputs for my mp3 player and would like XM builit-in. I hate to seach car audio forums because they are overwhelming to me. Can anyone recommend a head unit around that range? Or suggest ones to stay away from? I have a GMC stock radio, which is slightly larger than double din.

I'm thinking it would be nice to have a din HU with a CB radio under it in the stock opening. Thanks for the advice.

Go to Crutchfield.com and do the research then head to eBay for a deal. I bought all of my equipment on eBay...
              "Everything is possible"
              MB Quart 6 1/2" comp, 5 1/4" coax
              2 JL 8W0, RF 500s 250 x 2, 400x 100 x 4
              HU: RF 9210G CD / MP3

PC: VIA M1000, 512 MB RAM, Pioneer CD/DVD Slot Load, Linksys WiFi,

IgnitionMediaPC - home grown C# application.

Comment

Could you not just bring an RCA cable from the back of your headunit round to the front?
                Leo

http://www.talkaudio.co.uk

A million people can't be wrong, right?

Well... unless they're all from the red states...

Comment

That's not true because I've seen a few.
                  Can you post one? I don't feel like searching for one to see what other features it has.
                  [COLOR=Navy][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Tektility

Comment

I was just kidding
                    here is the alpine one
                    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-zOL4Rz0...&avf=Y&search=

Comment

oh my bad I guess i've been out of it a little to long. Eh its ugly, lol.
                      2002 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 4DR
                      Aleroputer 90% done (ripped out and being rewired)
                      MYMODS:
                      Pioneer Head unit in a remote location, Clarion Amp, XM Satilite Radio, 2 10" Audiobahn DVC Subs wired 1 ohm in a bandpass box, Grill Mesh, Halo Guages

Comment

http://search.ebay.com/CDA-9820XM_W0...tleZCDA-9820XM

I cannot find one for 150 to 200 like you wanted though.

Comment

ikesound.com has some amazing prices on HU and Componets, I'v ordered several products from them over the last few years.
                          Much cheeper than anywhere else.

Comment

How are those Sony Xplod units... CDX-F7700 ?
                            ,./(0)3

'04 Canyon 4x4 pickup

Comment

I have a CDX-F5700... I love it, a bit expensive though.
                              2007 Honda Fit Sport 1.5L SOHC-VTEC

Comment

Working...
                              X