Need help with wiring a system

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with wiring a system

Hey all, i just got this amp: http://www.carreview.com/Amplifiers/...7_1806crx.aspx
    and 2 10"s for really good price, i was wondering how I could wire them up.
    I am pretty new to amps but i know some electronics, I don't really get how to wire em up. Any help would be great, and what gauge wire do u think
    I need to ground the amp, and to run the signal wire to the deck, and the power from the batterie with the fuse on it.

Thx
    2009 Altima 2.5S CVT Dark Slate

Great amp btw. THe least expensive route is to go to best buy/circuit city and pickup an amp wiring kit. I would not go less than 8 guage. That amp is going to draw quite a bit of current. If your 2 subs are 4ohm/svc each, wire those puppies in parrallel bridged. That amp can do 2ohms without breaking a sweat. You'll get the max power from that amp in that configuration.
    MyMedia Website

Comment

ok, sounds coo, Was wondering if i should just go ahead and buy the wiring by itself and get the fuse and fuse holder from an online store, all i really need is amp power line, the ground and turn on lead are easy, Do you know about ATC fuses and AGU fuses and what the difference between em are?
      I think i can get a fuse holder for around $5 but the shipping is gonna kill it.
      Any good online car audio stores beside Crutchfeild?
      I was checkin out http://www.cardomain.com/item/LITSXPK10IC this and the shipping is the same as the kit, so no thanks, but they have some good stuff on there.

Oh yeah, also can you give me a link to show me how to wire the subs in parrallel bridged? Thx a lot.

Comment

Where are you at in cali--round about. I'm originally from L.A. and can tell you the best place to get stuff super cheap. There really is no difference between those two fuses. Both are rated for low-medium current. I'm a fan of the circuit breakers myself. To wire the subs in parrallel, just connect the + to + and - to -. Honestly, I've only used crutchfield for online purchases. Everything else I find around town. I hate paying shipping.

I would try to buy everything together. Sometimes it more expensive to get peices.
        MyMedia Website

Comment

well you said something about parrallel "bridged" and what do u mean by bridged? http://www.caraudiohelp.com/ohms_law/ohms_law.htm
          Theres parrallel and I guess thats what you mean.
          Also, what amp rating fuse do u think i need? I think a 60 sounds good, but i don't know anything bout fuses.
          And what are circuit breakers?
          I live in Mill Valley, and ya, so there is a bestbuy and a circuitcity around, but I don't really wanna pay more then $20 for a wiring kit, cause i actually bought everything for $60. How much do u think this amp is worth?

Comment

I forget this was a monoblock amp. When I said bridged, this was refering to combining a 2-channel's amp output to 1 channel. For the 250D, just connect your sub to their respective connector. Do not wire them in parrallel. The amp is already wired in this configuration. Rule of thumb for fuses is match the value on your amps themselves. If I recall that amp has 2 20A fuses.

A circuit breaker is like a fuse, except that when the breaker is tripped, you can reset--unlike a fuse. I would pay $60 for that amp in a heartbeat. I think it's worth at least that much, depending on condition of course.
            MyMedia Website

Comment

ok, kool, actually i paid $60 for the amp, 2 subs and a banpass box.
              So i need a 40A fuse?
              And on the amp, there is two connections for 2 speakers, but I guess that means subs, so I wire one sub to one, and the other to the other correct?
              And where is a good place to get a circuit breaker and which would work for my setup?

Thx a lot for helping me too.

Comment

Originally posted by ClubFed11
                ok, kool, actually i paid $60 for the amp, 2 subs and a banpass box.
                So i need a 40A fuse?
                Yes

And on the amp, there is two connections for 2 speakers, but I guess that means subs, so I wire one sub to one, and the other to the other correct?
                You are correct

And where is a good place to get a circuit breaker and which would work for my setup?
                Thx a lot for helping me too.
                Be aware that circuit breakers are generally more expensive that the standard fuse setup. You can almost always get them at any car audio place. Good luck!
                MyMedia Website

Comment

www.knukonceptz.com !!! get their amp wiring kits, and maybe a couple of extra fuses and any other wire you may need while you're at it. Their wire is cheap cost, but damn fine quality. And get other crap while you're at it too.. only bad thing bout this site is s/h.. I think it's in the $6 range.

I highly, highly, highly recommend them.. Easily the best for the money I've seen, period.

Oh, and if that amp can take 4 gauge, just get 4 gauge... it's never worse (other than money-wise) to have thicker wire. But yeah, definately not lower than 8 gauge, that's the thinnest you should go in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by omar
                    A circuit breaker is like a fuse, except that when the breaker is tripped, you can reset--unlike a fuse. I would pay $60 for that amp in a heartbeat. I think it's worth at least that much, depending on condition of course.
                    circuit breakers actually trip quicker than fuses as well. it takes a bit longer for a fuse to trip than a breaker...so a breaker has quicker protection and maybe better to protect expensive equipment. also, the reset ability, as mentioned, is much better than buying a new fuse. this info comes from my grandfather (an EE) it stems from a conversation we had about my car. hope it helps.

Comment

Thanks for the site wizawuza. THeir products look pretty good.
                      MyMedia Website

Comment

so, is it ok if i have a fuse bigger then 40A? will it cause any harm?
                        But as long as i have at least a 40A fuse, I should be allright, right?
                        And I heard the ground cable comming from the amp, shouldn't be longer then 2 feet?

Oh, and also, I think the guy who had this amp and subs before me wired them in Series mode. cause i have the speaker wire he had, and it looks like he wired them like that. What would this mean?

Comment

having too big of a fuse is bad. I don't know what's too "big" for your purpose, but the reason why a 200 amp fuse (exagerrating here) is bad is that those wires will likely burn, literally, before 200 amps is reached.

And yeah keep that ground wire as short as possible, will reduce noise and other junk. And make sure you sand off the paint where you'll be hooking up that ground cable. The paint will act as an insulator, or weak resistor otherwise.

Comment

Well i am gonna buy this kit: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...31979&tc=photo
                            It has 8gauge wires and a 60A fuse, Do you think that will be ok?

Comment

the 60 amp fuse will likely be fine. I think I have an 80 amp fuse for my 4 gauge.

If you can get 4 gauge for only a couple of bucks more, try to.. it's 4X the size (I think??), which leads to 1/4 the resistance.

And that kit looks pretty good.. just try to verify the quality of the wire. I don't know too much about this type of stuff, but there's a lot of oxidation and flexibility problems and junk like that. Wish I could help you more with that type of stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X