Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

laptop: which is better, USB audigy or pcmcia audigy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• laptop: which is better, USB audigy or pcmcia audigy?

looking at using an inspiron 600m for a carputer -- what do people suggest, the usb audigy or the pcmcia one? they both seem to have about the same specs -- although since the USB one has a remote, do you think I could use a PAC switch to control the volume with my steering wheel stereo controls?
    2005 m3 coupe, carputer to come...

pcmcia if your laptop has the guts. im having truble powering my Audigy NX. also the remote is IR so you will need to have the box sitting out some where.

EDIT: i did not read all the way thrue. I dont know about the PAC but it would be nice. I dont see why not.
    now working on my Dodge Dak
    toshiba portege == done
    audigy2 NX == done
    7" flush mount == 0%
    pimp rating == 48%

Comment

no idea on the PAC unit, but the PCMCIA card is a better card for sound quality, the in and outs are TRUE optic....even though it says 1/8" phonojack, according to Creative when I emailed them about it, it's a true optic out, just with the metal ring around it to make it phono capable.....all you need is a 1/8" phono to tos-link adapter.....this is what I am doing in my car since my mobo has a pcmcia slot....haven't had a chance to try it out yet though....will be posting my findings once I try it though!
      Jan Bennett
      FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

cool thanks guys -- assuming i went with pcmcia, is there any way to get my stereo volume control hooked in?
        2005 m3 coupe, carputer to come...

Comment

Originally posted by Red GTi VR6
          no idea on the PAC unit, but the PCMCIA card is a better card for sound quality, the in and outs are TRUE optic....even though it says 1/8" phonojack, according to Creative when I emailed them about it, it's a true optic out, just with the metal ring around it to make it phono capable.....all you need is a 1/8" phono to tos-link adapter.....this is what I am doing in my car since my mobo has a pcmcia slot....haven't had a chance to try it out yet though....will be posting my findings once I try it though!
          Could you explain that better?? I don't understand how u can take a physical
          metal connection (1/8" phono) to a toslink optical? unless your speaking of an actual
          optical to coaxial conversion board... but then the inputs on the card are not OPTICAL...
          Plus I've only seen coax to optic converters that require 110v...

Just curious.. was thinking of switching to this card to see if it cures the LINE-IN probs
          I have of my radio only coming out of my front 2 speakers....
          CarPuter: Dell P3-500 Laptop; D-Link WiFi; Deluo GPS; D-Link Radio; iMac DVD w/ ide2usb
          Audio: Audigy 2 NX; Kicker KX700.5 amp; 20w center amp; Kicker L7 10" Sub
          Display: Lilliput 7" TouchScreen
          CarPuter Install

Comment

I don't know why everyone seems to like Creative, in my experience of their PCI cards they're terribly noisy and generally rubbish, if I was looking for a PCMCIA card I'd go for: http://www.turnkey.co.uk/tkweb/stock...GO&context=WEB or USB http://www.turnkey.co.uk/tkweb/stock...FX&context=WEB I know they're english links, but you know there are better sound cards than creative... just my 2 cents

Comment

They are quite nice - never seen em before. I like the volume control. Could take the card apart and hook it up to your dash but probably a bit risk with a 90 card!

Comment

Yeah that PCMCIA card from Echo is really nice, I used a similar version which had 1 in a 1 out on it for audio on my laptop, (the one in the link is just audio out), was very impressed. Pay for quality, you won't be disappointed! Compared to a creative it's miles apart, much better.

Comment

seems as though they ar eonly stereo out. would want to get a 4 channel hooked up to an amp so i could alter the fade and balance from the PC.

Comment

http://www.turnkey.co.uk/tkweb/stock...RO&context=WEB though I think I might of blown your budget at 175.99!! Still nice.

Comment

and also I've just found 4 channel output version of the PCMCIA card at 120, though they call it a DJ which puts me off!! Hehe. http://www.turnkey.co.uk/tkweb/stock...DJ&context=WEB
                      now that's my top tip!

Comment

yeah i saw the dj but it hink it is two separate channels ie routed form different inputs not like the normal 4 channel out. might be wrong though.

Also that usb thing is nice and they have bstock for 134 - what a bargain!!!!!!! hmmm

Comment

Well sticking to cards in my country... me and my friends have pretty much owned all
                          of the diff audio cards out there over the years... and the Audigy has come out on top
                          for me by tons... super clear... and 5.1 surround... and thats what I have in my home
                          and in my SUV...

I'm all for competition and better products... I know creative's drivers suck and they have
                          some hardware shortcomings... but that's all I really see for a viable product nowadays.

So anyways... back to dissecting the Audigy PCMCIA card... more info please
                          CarPuter: Dell P3-500 Laptop; D-Link WiFi; Deluo GPS; D-Link Radio; iMac DVD w/ ide2usb
                          CarPuter Install

Comment

sorry to mess up your Creative thread!! hehe, just one quick note, all the products discussed by me are available in the USA, that's just an UK website which I buy from.. sorry, back to Audidgy now!!

Comment

np
                              I enjoyed the info!

I've just been waiting to hear about the performance of this PCMCIA card and I didn't want to be the guinea pig
                              CarPuter Install

Comment

Working...
                              X