MB Quart?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MB Quart?

I've been looking for some good component sets, kinda ran into some financial trouble right now so I cant afford them yet again, but I would like to know what you guys think of them. According to Audio Express locally they are the brand right beside Focal. Now theres no way I can afford focal, nor have the need to use them, so I'm looking for 2 sets of 2 6.5" component speakers to run a full surround sound for DVD. I will have a front and rear center channel aswell, but for the time being I am looking for components. I do not need an amplifier for them, just the speakers themselves.

I dont have a specific model number I am looking at, but probably one of the higher quality ones. I cant justify spending 1200+ for 2 speakers for focal. So if I can keep each pair under or around 300$ that would be good. My whole system will be all SQ, not too interested in pounding bass, but I am still looking at 2 12" Type R subs to replace my older rf punch HE 12" (which I am very impressed with the way it sounds with my current setup)

I know quart is good quality, but maybe someone can suggest some better alternatives in the same price range. I still have about 2 months now before I can purchase them

In case you guys want to know, I will be fabbing my door panel a little on my 04 sunfire to hold the 6.5" and I will run the tweater up to where the mirrors are, like some cars come stock with. I dont want to deal with kickpanels in this car, I want a clean looking install and I dont like the looks of kickpanels.

For the rear, they definately wont be back where the 6x9s are(were) they will be in the rear arm rests with the tweater by the rear window (back about 2 inches from the 6.5 and up about 12) and then I will have a rear center sitting in/on the rear deck. The front center will be molded into the dash around the 15" LCD.

EDIT: These are the ones I was looking at, no idea on the price thought. http://www.mbquart.com/2003/en_US/pr...&model=PCE+216
    EDIT 2: Or these ones as an upgrade to those ^^ http://www.mbquart.com/2003/en_US/pr...&model=QSD+216

MB Quarts have a reputation for having very bright highs. If you don't like that sound you might want to reconsider the Quarts.

Other in similar quality are the Infinity Kappa Perfects (around $250-$270), Diamond Audio Hex (300+), A/D/S...
    Car: 2000 Audi A4 Avant 1.8t
    Carputer 2.0: removed. Back to stock.

Comment

What do you mean very bright highs? Like ear piercing?

Comment

MB Quart tweeters are very bright as in hard to listen to for extended periods of time. They sound really harsh to me. I prefer silk tweeters over metal - they just sound much, much better to me.
        Dave
        97 BMW M3

Comment

I bought a pair of MB 6.5" components several years ago, and they still sound great. My local car stereo shop told me that MB Quart was bought out by Rockford Fosgate and they arent the top-end speaker they used to be...They dont even carry them anymore.

I dont find mine to be that bright, but the tweeter brightness is adjustable on the crossover, at least mine are.
          G945GLCF2 | 512MB RAM | 160GB HD | Holux GPS w/ Routis | XMPCR w/ TOSLINK mod | Audigy 2 NX | | Xenarc 700TSV |Opus 150W PSU.

Comment

Check out Adire Audio's Koda components. Expensive to buy retail, but can easily find a used pair on car audio forms. (~$200)
            steven n

95 Saturn SC1
            Alpine 9831 + Blaupunkt SR04
            Stereo Integrity 327 Comps + MTX 4244
            Resonant Engineering XXX 18 D2 + Elemental Designs Nine.1 + 7.5ft^3 tuned to ~29Hz

Carputer Progress: Rethinking, box has consumed my trunk

Comment

I've got MB 6.5" components too. I don't find the highs to be harsh at all. I drive my car for up to an hour non stop on a usual basis and have music on all the time, with no problems.

I would get either those or the Infinity Kappa's. Both are good speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by hmp
                I've got MB 6.5" components too. I don't find the highs to be harsh at all. I drive my car for up to an hour non stop on a usual basis and have music on all the time, with no problems.

I would get either those or the Infinity Kappa's. Both are good speakers.
                If you go the infinity route, get the Kappa's, not the kappa perfects. The extra $$$ is not worth it. A good used pair (barely used) can be found on ebay for like 40-60 + shipping. Still would go with the koda's though if you have the time and money
                steven n

95 Saturn SC1
                Alpine 9831 + Blaupunkt SR04
                Stereo Integrity 327 Comps + MTX 4244
                Resonant Engineering XXX 18 D2 + Elemental Designs Nine.1 + 7.5ft^3 tuned to ~29Hz

Carputer Progress: Rethinking, box has consumed my trunk

Comment

I decided on Infinity Perfect 6.1 and Infinity Kappa 692.5i for my components and I couldn't be happier with the sound

Comment

I've heard Quarts in my friend's Lightning, and to my ears, my Infinity Reference speakers easily sound as good, for a third of the price. The Kappa's are even better, if you're set on spending that much money.
                    JW™
                    Powered By Sarcasm

Ranger: Just bought all my replacement goodies
                    Expy: Kenwood KDC-X579 from the Ranger; unknown speakers/amp & 10" Earthquake sub, that all came with the truck

Comment

Check out the Focal Polyglass. Its priced about the same as some of the MBs and sound a lot better.. Try to find a shop that sells both and A/B them. Really no comparision. I use Dynaudio only but if I was to buy a speaker in the 200-300 range it would be the Polyglass hands down.
                      2007 Tahoe
                      Opus with iBase 896 and Pentium M 735 Transflective Xenarc Alpine DVA-9861, PXA-H900, Sinfoni 45X2 (2) 90x2, Genesis Dual Mono, JL 1000/1 (2), Focal Be tweeters, ScanSpeak Revelator Mids, Dynaudio MW170, Dayton 12" Ref.

My Install

Comment

All my internals are MB Quart (6.5 components in front and 6.5 coaxials in the rear) and I love them. The highs are bright, but there are 3 connections on the component crossover to adjust the tweeter to 0db, -3db, or -6db.

Everyone has their certain brand preferences. Truefully, any of the higher ends are going to sound superb.

Comment

Originally posted by FyreDaug
                          IAccording to Audio Express locally they are the brand right beside Focal.
                          As long as you are talking about the lower line of Focal, then this is a true statement. As long as you are comparing them to the Polyglass and Access ines. There are very few other companies out there that can compare to the Utopias and K2 Powers.

I dont have a specific model number I am looking at, but probably one of the higher quality ones. I cant justify spending 1200+ for 2 speakers for focal. So if I can keep each pair under or around 300$ that would be good.
                          For Focal you can look into:
                          The Polyglass 165v2s (MSRP is around $500, I bet you could find them for closer to your price range if you looked online)
                          http://www.focal.tm.fr/gb/car/polyglass/165v2.htm

Or the Access 165As
                          http://www.focal.tm.fr/gb/car/accessline/165a.htm

My whole system will be all SQ, not too interested in pounding bass, but I am still looking at 2 12" Type R subs to replace my older rf punch HE 12" (which I am very impressed with the way it sounds with my current setup)
                          This sub might sound good to you but it's deffinately NOT a SQ sub.....but if you're happy with it, keep it....save yourself the money!

I know quart is good quality, but maybe someone can suggest some better alternatives in the same price range. I still have about 2 months now before I can purchase them
                          Face it, if you want quality you will pay for it. Some other brands to look into though would be Rainbow, the Alpine Type R seperates are decent, Morel, but those are expensive as well.....

honnestly, try ebay, look for an ebay store and see what kind of prices you can find. You would be amazed. You can also surf some of the dedicated caraudio forums and check out their for sale forums. I usually post my stuff on those to sell, and I take really good care of my equipment. You will find that there are a lot of people out there like me, who are sponsored, or who get stuff at cost, who will use the stuff for a year, then sell it and buy the new stuff that's out.....take advantage of it.

In case you guys want to know, I will be fabbing my door panel a little on my 04 sunfire to hold the 6.5" and I will run the tweater up to where the mirrors are, like some cars come stock with. I dont want to deal with kickpanels in this car, I want a clean looking install and I dont like the looks of kickpanels.
                          Kicks will give you the best SQ, as some will argue. Crappy kicks will ruin a good install with their looks. But if you get someone who knows how to work with the materials, you can make a set of kicks that looks like they came from the factory with the car. as for the tweeters, to get the best imaging you should place them in the A-pillars....see my sig to see what I am talking about. Though, if you don't want to go that extreme it's understandable. Just keep the angle of the tweets in mind when fabbing up your pods.

EDIT: These are the ones I was looking at, no idea on the price thought. http://www.mbquart.com/2003/en_US/pr...&model=PCE+216
                          EDIT 2: Or these ones as an upgrade to those ^^ http://www.mbquart.com/2003/en_US/pr...&model=QSD+216

MB Quart is a good brand, there is nothing wrong with them. Go for em!

Let me also add this. Going off of what other people say about speakers that they have heard is a BIG mistake. There are so many variables out there for this stuff that it's mind bogeling....

What kind of amp were those speakers on, what kind of music, how hard had those speaker been pushed through out their life time, how are they all wired up, how good is the install, how does that person typically like to listen to their music, is it anything like how you like to listen to your music, I could go on and on and on....

some speakers sound like crap when running off of the headunit power simply because they were designed to be run off of a dedicated amp and need more than the 25watts that the vast majority of headunits out there put out.....I don't give a crap what the face plate says, 55w x 4 is something you will NEVER see out of a head unit durring normal listening....

This is somehting that will require you to listen to for yourself and make up your own mind on....
                          Jan Bennett
                          FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

just purchased from www.thezeb.com got some 6.5 " cdt components for my corvette for $150
                            New System in progress:
                            M10k
                            Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
                            Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
                            Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
                            Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
                            Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                            My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

cdt???

can you link to them please?
                              Jan Bennett
                              FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Working...
                              X