Does anyone know how to?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know how to?

I was wondering if it is possible to use stock HU, replace all speakers with a 4 ch amp, and have a carpc and have full function of the stock HU (which has no AUX input) and have full function of the carpc without having both of them on (like a switching device), thanks

hmmm cant u hook it up to the amp? thats what i think ppl do, when they dont wanna get a hu, they get an amp instead....correct me if im wrong. (but not sure if u can turn off ur hu tho, like on most u can theres a button...)

Comment

Originally posted by eddiesbu
      and have full function of the carpc without having both of them on (like a switching device), thanks

that bit didn't quite make sense to me.

You mean you WANT a switching device that lets you select whether the audio coming from your speakers is that of the HU or PC?

Please clarify.

Comment

sorry, i want to be able to use the HU or the carpc, there is no aux input to my HU, I will have an amp and speakers but how will i connect the head unit and the carpc to the amp at the same time?
        thanks

Comment

IMHO:
          Wire the HU into the PC's (line in audio input) and use it switch/mix betweent the two.
          anything short of replacing the HU w/ one having AUX option is not going to be a 'pretty' solution.

--But it means the PC must be on at all times (while you're listening to the HU).
          •Micke

Comment

get 2 five pole realys, wire the 2 audio rca outputs from your head unit to the contacts of each realy that are normaly closed, wire the 2 line outs from your pc to the contacts that are normaly open and wire the common poles to the rca inputs on the amp. power the coil from your pc 12v supply with a switch in line. now when you turn on your stereo you will hear it and your pc will sound when you turn that on. if you want the stereo while the pc is on flick the switch (or make something to do this from the pc) you will also have to provide a supply for the amp remote from the pc if this is supplied from the stereo
            PB 2.0Ghz, 20GB, 512mb, XPpro. 300GB Usb HDD, Griffin pwrmate, m-audio audiophile fw. BU-353 gps. 2x100w sony amps, 1x150w JBL sub amp, MBQuart front components, 6x9 rear, 10" sub. Audiocontrol epcienter, esp2, 3xs. Clifford G5, Finished, fitted, problems

Comment

replace all speakers with a 4 ch amp
              I'd love to see how you would get the amp to actually PRODUCE sound, and not just amplify it.
              PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
              GammaControl v2.4
              SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

sorry
                + and
                - with

Comment

now i have seen amps that accept line level and rcas, how would it sound or will it even work if i put both into the amp (lines from the HU and rcas from carpc)???

thanks for ur help

Comment

With most amps, the manual will have a warning not to connect speaker level and RCAs at the same time. Check what your amp manual says, and if it doesn't say anything, play safe and don't connect up both.

As other people have said, you'll probably need to wire up a switch / relay to do this.. if you use an RCA joiner to connect both your HU and PC up, you might end up with a ground loop.

Comment

thanks for ur help

Comment

There are small devices that act as audio/video multiplexers.

Comment

What if I used an a USB audiocard with an lineinput, If it is powered up but has no input from the USB will it allow the lineinput to pass through and work?

Comment

What if I used an a USB audiocard with an lineinput, If it is powered up but has no input from the USB will it allow the lineinput to pass through and work?
                            Yup, the standalone creative soundcard that can be used as a home dolby decoder could possibly be used for this. Not sure what its called though. The Audigy NX might also allow this if it has an input selector but i am not sure.

Comment

I think it is the Audigy 2?? but I need a 5V input but that is easily plausible, that might be the easiest and best sounding, thanks for your help

Comment

Working...
                              X