Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on building a carputer on a ford focus 2005

Hey,

I'm asking for your help in some trouble I ran into.
    I'm thinking for a few month now to build a car pc (laptop based) but my biggest problem is connecting to the car stereo.

The car is a ford focus 2005 (I donít know what model yet) and it has a built in blankpunkt radio. The radio has no aux in inputs, and the only visible way to connect directly to the radio is buying a adapter that nobody can tell me for sure if it works and it costs 79$(!).

So I need to find a alternative solution, I must say that that I'm getting the car from my company via leasing,
    I cannot really make big changes in the car, even replacing the radio is a big deal.

So here are the solutions I have:

- Replacing the radio with one that has built in aux inputs.
    - Using a adapter tape directly to my laptop
    - Buy a amp that supports 4 speakers and 2 inputs(one from the radio and one from my laptop)
    - Use a FM adapter

My project has a very low budget, the only thing I spent money on is the docking station for the laptop (allowing me to connect a video card with a v-out to my lcd screen)

Can you guys help me find the best solution?
    I don't mind spending some money (no more than 100$),
    But I also want something with a decent quality.

Btw, anyone here with Ford focus?
    Im also looking for a good place to put the lcd screen.

Thanks,
    Gideon

how long have you been looking on this web site? I believe there are like a BAGILLION threads on this very subject.....and a few people with Foci

=]
    Jan Bennett
    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Red, i think we need a head 'banging on wall' image!

EDIT: dude, we all start off as low budget but eventually it will take over your life and your wallet! I would suggest reading this forum a lot more than you have. At this stage of your project all the answers are out there....

Comment

one thing I am a little confused on is that you were complaining about a part being $79 but then you say that you are willing to spend no more than $100?

yes - I agree Scouse....that would be a nice smiley to have....lol
        Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Originally posted by Red GTi VR6
          one thing I am a little confused on is that you were complaining about a part being $79 but then you say that you are willing to spend no more than $100?
          Ditto that! And besides, $79 is not bad by the time you look at buying an amp, a new headunit or if you had a capable HU building a link like the alpine or sony ones.

Comment

Cheapest solution without really doing much and OKay sound quality: Tape adapter.
            FM Modulator: don't get it.
            Aux input adapter: best sound quality and you have to get to the rear of the radio.
            Anything else will cost you over 100 buck.
            2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
            89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
            Y2K Accord Dell GX150
            RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
            EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Thanks Matrix,

The Problem with the tape adapter is that the car comes with a built in cd, no tape. )-:

is the FM Modulator that bad? i can get a heavy duty (not portable) one, manufacterd by lanzer (pic:http://www.netaction.co.il/Files/Pro...mage/32091.jpg)

is it possible to connect my speakers to a amplifier and the laptop directly to it?

Comment

FM modulation sound quality sucks...it's about as bad as it can get.....but then again, it all depends on what type of system you are listening to it on, not to mention the quality of your mp3s

Lanzar doesn't exactly make the best quality stuff either, BTW
                Jan Bennett

Comment

Damm ):

So the only options left is buying an amp or replacing the head unit.

is it possible to use the amp for my needs?

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...948028865&rd=1

What about this amplifier (PYRAMID PB442X) ?
                    it has 4 channels output, but does it have rca input for my carputer.
                    how can i connect the headunit and the carputer together?

Comment

you must not want to spend anything on this project hu?

Pyramid is right next to Lanzar, Boss, and Jensen in terms of quality. Every amp out there will have RCA inputs.

What is your limit? What's the most that you want to spend on an amp? How much power do you need? RMS, NOT peak. We need to find you a better quality amp than what you have been looking at.
                      Jan Bennett

Comment

Hmm.. i will be using the stock speakers that comes with the focus.
                        the only reason i buy an amp is for the rca inputs that allow me to connect the carputer. i have no idea how much power i need..

Comment

just get the line-in adaptor the sound fidelity should be as good as an aftermarket HU $79 i would see if you can get the part number for it and do a search online to find it cheaper. i've noticed the price varies from $65 - $100 just for the stupid adaptor for my car. i have used the FM modulator route and I wouldn't recommend it either. the volume is low, the quality is seriously degraded, and theres always a possibilty that radio stations might interfere

Comment

Originally posted by Gizon
                            The car is a ford focus 2005 (I donít know what model yet) and it has a built in blankpunkt radio. The radio has no aux in inputs, and the only visible way to connect directly to the radio is buying a adapter that nobody can tell me for sure if it works and it costs 79$(!).
                            You say that no one can tell you if it works? Who exactly have you been asking? I have a similar problem with my VW's stock stereo, and looking around and asking manufactureres of different adapters I got all the information I needed.
                            This site http://www.installer.com/aux/ has several Ford specific adaptes, some even have several inputs to choose from. Emailing or calling them will most likely get you all the information you will want.

Also, you say you need a docking station for v-out? What kind of laptop do you have? most of the ones I've seen have at the very least a vga-out (which is the one you will want the most).
                            I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you an understanding.

Comment

two things:

#1 its a company car you are leasing
                              #2 its a low budget starter in car computer

to me, I interpret this as that its maybe a play toy, an experiment, something to use as a learning experience, etc. furthermore, that its NOT your car, that, as you said, even replacing the radio i a big deal. how about running power lines through your firewall? that amplifier isnt "installess" either!

the fact is, an FM modulator is your best option. its a lease and not your car. Its temporary! why spend the money on proprietary adapters that are worthless to you after you have to give back the car? its an experiment (im still making this assumption) so why drop big money just to experiemnt with other parts of in car computing?

furthermore, I assume you get most of your MP3's from internet sources, yes? what kind of quality music do you think you are getting? about the same as FM radio anyways!

There is only one argument I can think of that would have any weight here agasint the FM modulator. If you live in an area where the ENTIRE FM dial is filled with stations, I can see the modulator presenting a huge problem trying to compete with some signals.

as long as you avoid modulators such as models made by BOSS and pyramid, stick with modulators built with more reputable components, such as those available form www.davidnavone.com , then in fact you can get a very nice sound. competition quality? nope! but does that really matter when the speakers in your car cost 87 cents anyways? remember, bottleneck!

I recommend FM modulation. not transmission, something you actually have to pull out the radio and physically plug in to.

when you get the hang of in car computing, have a more solid idea in which direction you want to go, know your advantages and disadvantages, have power supply issues ironed out (how many members here say FM modulation SQ sucks then turn around and make a post complaining about awful alternator whine?) AND have your own car you want to start doing some more permanent modification to, THEN I would have no reason to suggest a $20 box could yield the same satisfactory results as spending $200 on a new radio!

but for now?
                              in the car you are borrowing?
                              with your budget?
                              and goals I predict you have?

FM modulation is nearly the only way to go.

good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X