2ch or 4ch amp

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2ch or 4ch amp

Iím getting ready to do a reinstall so I was thinking about getting an amp for the speakers and not using my HU amp, I got a Sony HU that has 4 ch output so a 4ch would make more sense.

I would need a semi small one to mount it where I want.

So whatís a good brand I have been looking at infinity amps (since I got infinity speakers) but what do you think of clarion? Or what brand do you recommend, I want something fairly affordable.

Should i think about a 5 ch amp since i want to replace my sub amp?
    1990 Jeep Cherokee
    2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
    2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

if you really want to go with a 5 channel you can, nut good 5 channels are rare IMO.

stick with a 4 channel if it's just for your door speakers.....in most instances an amp is better by far than what any head unit can provide via internal power.....head units don't put out that much power.....and don't EVER pay attention to that annoying sticker on the front of the deck that says 55 x 4...you will never see that....well.....maybe ONCE in the life time of that deck....hehehe

infinity is good, just keep in mind that you don't HAVE to stick with teh same brand....

some brands to consider:

Infinity, Alpine, JL Audio, Clarion, MTX, etc.....most major brand names will be find for what most people are looking for

=]
    Jan Bennett
    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

5 ch amps arent cheap thats for sure. Go with 4 channel amp like rockford,kicker and etc. Dont get thos cheap POS amps. I know kenwood is a good company,but when i switched from kenwood 4 chanel to kicker 4ch 300.4. The difference is great i have no engine noise at all. NONE. i am loving it.

Comment

Yea,
        Ill probably try to sell my Kenwood sub amp and get one that has remote gain. And get a mono and a 4 ch, I just did a quick and bad looking mock up but you can see my idea for placement will the speaker cables be fine running like that?
        Attached Files
        1990 Jeep Cherokee
        2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
        2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

i had a 5 channel eclipse amp that performed well, i since have sold that along with the car and now will be only running front cdt components and a 12 image dynamics sub froma 4 channel phoenix gold titanium. I'm doing this because i have a 2 seater and can get away with just fronts for better imaging :-D
          New System in progress:
          M10k
          Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
          Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
          Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
          Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
          Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
          My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

What sound card are you going to be using on your computer? Most only support 2ch (left/right) so getting anything more would be a waste.

Comment

Originally posted by XxAndyxX
              What sound card are you going to be using on your computer? Most only support 2ch (left/right) so getting anything more would be a waste.

how do you figure? if he wants to drive 4 speakers he should have four sep. channels. he would just have to get a y-adapter for the audio out if he only had a 2-chan soundcard. that way you would have clean 4 ohm power going to all the speakers.

while we are on soundcards...
              the soundblaster live 5.1 cards have the full 6 channel outputs and are under $40.
              New System in progress:
              M10k
              Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
              My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

When I was looking for amps, 5ch amps were more expensive then just 2ch amps. If he has a 2ch soundcard, why would he spend the extra cash for a 5ch amp? What do you mean by 'clean 4 ohm'? I might be mistaken, but isn't clean ohms dependent on the quality of the amp?

Comment

You people are messing with this mans mind. Bro just get a 4 CH amp.

Comment

Originally posted by XxAndyxX
                    When I was looking for amps, 5ch amps were more expensive then just 2ch amps. If he has a 2ch soundcard, why would he spend the extra cash for a 5ch amp? What do you mean by 'clean 4 ohm'? I might be mistaken, but isn't clean ohms dependent on the quality of the amp?
                    let me clearify; instead of running four speakers from two channels so that the amp sees a 2 ohm load, run four speakers from four channels so that the amp doesnt have to stress (hence putting out a clearer/cleaner signal)
                    New System in progress:
                    M10k
                    Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                    My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Originally posted by scott_fx
                      let me clearify; instead of running four speakers from two channels so that the amp sees a 2 ohm load, run four speakers from four channels so that the amp doesnt have to stress (hence putting out a clearer/cleaner signal)
                      yea thats the idea, Im actually using a USB aux in for my HU XA-300 but once it gets their i belve its 2 ch that goes tot he HU, but then the HU splits it up to 4ch + sub. So that way i cut out hte sound card problem.

i was looking at this one http://www.crutchfield.com/S-oL2YsSe...0&I=113KAC8401

is 60 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms good?
                      1990 Jeep Cherokee
                      2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
                      2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

[QUOTE=kickercivic1]

Comment

huh?? you got me confused now. lol
                          1990 Jeep Cherokee
                          2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
                          2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

you had me confused for while now "belve its 2 ch that goes tot he HU, but then the HU splits it up to 4ch + sub"

Comment

well the HU has one pair input and then it has 3 par output and one is for the sub, 1 is for fronts and one is for rears.
                              1990 Jeep Cherokee
                              2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
                              2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

Working...
                              X