remote mounting head unit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• remote mounting head unit

I'd like to run a head unit with my car PC setup for AM radio and easier FM input, but between my LCD and AC controls I won't have room for the head unit up front in the dash.

I read in some other thread that people had used a removable face unit and mounted the face in the sunvisor and the headunit else where, does any one have an links to how it was done? I looked at some head units with removeable faces and the connection looked like a pain in the *** to duplicate as a cable, also any recommended head units that would be easier to do this with, I prefer Alpine and Kenwood units, and maybe some of the newer sony's I like minimal faceplates something simple looking.

cheers,
    Grant
    Cheers,
    Grant
    '03 Corvette Z06 - car pc soon
    '99 Eclipse GSX
    '03 Ducati Monster

just search the form. The people just cracked open the faceplates and soldered directly to the pcb using a couple cat5 cables for their length. It was as simple as matching up the pins from what everyone said.
    PC Components:
    Lilliput; XPC/FLEX mobo; 1.7 ghz P4 Mobile;512 DDR; 160 gb HDD; opus 150; slot usb dvd-rw
    My work log

Comment

yeah - there's been a few threads on it actually.....not that hard to find really

search: remote faceplate:

second find:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...mote+faceplate
      Jan Bennett
      FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

sorry, I was using poor search keywords
        Cheers,
        Grant
        '03 Corvette Z06 - car pc soon
        '99 Eclipse GSX
        '03 Ducati Monster

Comment

=]
          Jan Bennett
          FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Just had to comment that its good to see some others have already done this. I may be faced with the same situation of no room if I go ahead with another project I've just about decided on. I'm looking at a military surplus rig that has no din slots or anything like that. It doesn't have a radio at all. With a ham radio, cb, stereo, carputer LCD to install, there's not enough space unless I totally rebuild the dash to take out the giant switches that I'm sure were meant to be operated by someone wearing mittens or heavy gloves.

There must be a couple hundred different audio headunits out there. I can't believe there are so few options for remote mount of the faceplate. With CD changers, mp3 and iPods, etc. having a handy CD slot isn't much of a priority anymore to me.

Not too many people are into amateur radios, but at least you've got a few remote faceplate options with all the controls available from the major mfgrs. The ham rig I have has all the connections between the main unit and the faceplate on one cable with RJ-45 connectors.

Just had to vent a bit. Never fails that I'm looking for something that seems so obvious to me but almost no-one makes.

Comment

Google "secret audio" for a remote faceplate that comes standard.
              My install log
              My "selling entire system" thread

Comment

Working...
              X