VW owner help me out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VW owner help me out

are you guys using crossover for your tweet and woffer then to the amp or you just running to the amp from the speaker. i got an gti with monsoon system. i'm running the wire from the harness in the back of the hatch.

thanks

are you still gonna use the monsoon amp? .. cos if you are.. it has a crossover builtin for each speaker
    Pentium 4m 1.5GHz|MB896|Roadie Extreme|XM-Direct|Rikaline 6010|T-View 7"|Streetdeck|160gb Western Digital|1Gb DDR2-533 Ram

Comment

i'm not using the monsoon amp i'm not running a head unit.

Comment

Originally posted by heynicecar
        i'm not using the monsoon amp i'm not running a head unit.
        You're probably going to blow your tweeters w/out a crossover.
        My Install Thread
        digitaljetta.com

MKIV VW Jetta
        How do I get sound to my car?

Comment

you need to run a cross over to bump the voltage up to something acceptable for most amplifiers.....in that sense yes, if you don't so it you could blow your speakers....
          Jan Bennett
          FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Originally posted by Red GTi VR6
            you need to run a cross over to bump the voltage up to something acceptable for most amplifiers.....in that sense yes, if you don't so it you could blow your speakers....
            A x-over into amp?

Most (decent quality) amps have a x-over built-in.
            My Install Thread
            digitaljetta.com

MKIV VW Jetta

Comment

some cross overs out there can also bump voltage, but what I ment to say was EQ....

what's of most concern is the voltage here - the voltage coming out of a mobo sound card is less than 1volt....not near enough to supply a clean signal to an amplifier....
              Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

what's of most concern is the voltage here - the voltage coming out of a mobo sound card is less than 1volt....not near enough to supply a clean signal to an amplifier....
                I haven't noticed any real problem and I have no preamp in between the sound card and amp. What are you using?
                My Install Thread
                digitaljetta.com

MKIV VW Jetta

Comment

I'm not a VW owner, but you can probably get by putting a passive crossover between the woofer and tweeter. You can make a simple passive crossover with a capacitor and resistor just . May sure you note the impedence of your speakers and amp.

Comment

If you're going super high-end you would put the X-Over before the amps. Using a 6 channel X-Over you can direct which frequencies go to which amps. You save the amps from having to do the crossover work.

It also gives you the advantage of a single point of tuning. You can tweak one area instead of 3 different amps and their hi/lo/ x1 or x20 settings, etc.

It makes thinks much cleaner to have a separate Xover before the amps, in my opinion.

HTH,
                    CB
                    DashPC - The Linux Car (since 1999).

Dash LCD, Via Epia, GPS, XM, OBDII, DSSC Shutdown Controller.

As seen in the book Geek My Ride

Comment

well, to say that you haven't noticed a difference doesn't say much....it also depends on the quality of the rest of your system...

the amps I'm using donb't come into play here since I'm not having a problem with my sound quality or signal quality, nor did I ever just run the signal direct to the amps from the onboard sound from the computer....

=]

btw - I am using Arc Audio 4150 and a 2500....
                      Jan Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by cbergeron
                        If you're going super high-end you would put the X-Over before the amps. Using a 6 channel X-Over you can direct which frequencies go to which amps. You save the amps from having to do the crossover work.
                        I agree, and active crossover on the line level would be ideal. However, you will need to have 4 channels of amplification for your front speakers. So if you have 6 channels you can provide to the 6 speakers, then go for it. However, if you only have a 4 channel amp (or two 2 channels, whatever) then I would recommend using a passive between the woofer and satellites. Mine is wired this way and it sounds fine. Most of the sound mixes anyways, this just ensures that the tweeters don't erupt.

Comment

active is a beautiful thing!

but then again I am running a 4 channel amp to my mids and highs and running the PXA-H700 processor
                          Jan Bennett

Comment

thanks guys i ran crossover to all my speaker and its working good now thanks for the help.

Comment

=]

btw - I am using Arc Audio 4150 and a 2500....

I wasn't asking about your main amplifiers. You said you had a EQ before the amp to boost the signal from the sound card.
                              My Install Thread
                              digitaljetta.com

MKIV VW Jetta

Comment

Working...
                              X