Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5.1 output, 4.2 speakers...?

Hi,
    i have a mii10000 and a 6-channel (4+2) infinity-amp. This is again hooked up to a set of front speakers, a set of rear speakers and two subs.

How do i get "rid of" the center-channel? With 5.1 enabled I guess one of the subs will get subwoofer-signals and the other one gets center-signals. Should i use a Y-split from the front or rear output instead?
    My ride (norwegian)

-92 CitroŽn XM 2.1TD / MII10000, 7" TS, 150W Opus, WLAN, GPS, BT / Infinity REF5760A, RockfordFosgate Speakers + 2 subs

what you need to do is for the 5+6 channel your amp should allow you to Bridge. Comping from your sound card you need a 3.5 to 2 rca stereo connector, from that find the sub channel, now you need a single rca to 2 rca mono plug.

This will get the results your looking for. If you would of asked sooner I would of had the Radio Shack part numbers you were looking for, however threw them away. Now a company called sonicwave makes some nice cables that I am getting to replace the radio shack stuff.

Comment

Thank you So i'll just split the center/sub-output and then again split the sub-channel... It even makes perfect sense! Thanks!
      My ride (norwegian)

-92 CitroŽn XM 2.1TD / MII10000, 7" TS, 150W Opus, WLAN, GPS, BT / Infinity REF5760A, RockfordFosgate Speakers + 2 subs

Comment

I'm having the same problem, except I have the 3.5 to stereo rca's. I found which is the sub line and which is the center line, the problem is, my sub channel isnt outputting anything. Thus I'm stuck with the bass from the center channel (not much)

-w
        P4MST-890 775 MicroATX Pentium Dual Core E2140 , 80GB 2.5", OPUS 320W, MS GPS, SB EXTREMEGAMER PCI, 8" LILLIPUT TS, 15" NEC TS, SIRIUS USB PC INTERFACE, STREETDECK, KICKER ZX850.4, KICKER 2500.1, 2xKICKER SS65.2, 2xKICKER 10"COMPVX

Comment

Waltwalt, what you need to put on your Male Rca plug is a female RCA to dual Male RCA mono. Radio shack should have this. I know they have the 3.5 to stero, than the male rca to 2 female rca mono. This is what I used for my solution, until my high quality cables come in.
          Hope this helps you out.

Comment

Originally posted by waltwalt
            I'm having the same problem, except I have the 3.5 to stereo rca's. I found which is the sub line and which is the center line, the problem is, my sub channel isnt outputting anything. Thus I'm stuck with the bass from the center channel (not much)

-w
            Alot of soundcards allow you to swap center and subwoofer output. I can do this with my onboard sound (iBase MB870 motherboard). Go into the settings for your card and see if this is available.

Comment

I've got a set of the 3.5mm to stereo RCA's, one line clearly has the sub and one line clearly has the center channel. I don't want too many connections in there if possible.

I will look around for the settings to swap my center and subs, but I don't think there is one. I have the external 24-bit live soundblaster, I didn't install creative mediasource which seems to have disabled a lot of options. I'll check it over at lunch and let you guys know.

-w

PS. thanks for the replies
              P4MST-890 775 MicroATX Pentium Dual Core E2140 , 80GB 2.5", OPUS 320W, MS GPS, SB EXTREMEGAMER PCI, 8" LILLIPUT TS, 15" NEC TS, SIRIUS USB PC INTERFACE, STREETDECK, KICKER ZX850.4, KICKER 2500.1, 2xKICKER SS65.2, 2xKICKER 10"COMPVX

Comment

I checked it out, there is no option anywhere to switch the channels. Strange thing I noted though, when you run through the creative speaker setup, it plays the "front left" "front center" "front right" "rear right" "rear left" etc. shows the little soundwaves comming out of the speaker on screen, but doesnt do anything on the sub channel, no pictures no sound. But when I goto the noise check, it plays noise across all the speakers and then the sub, and I hear the noise from the sub.

So why doesn't anything else use the sub channel?

-w

Comment

WOAH.. why do you want to split your subwoofer sound? Thats a mono channel. Subs are recorded as mono, and will always sound better as a matched mono pair, than splitting them into l/r sub channels. You would only split sub-bass if you had distinct subs up front, and that would be running from the front channels. Leave it alone, leave it mono. And your amp should work fine having sub be a mono input. if not, then yeah, you'll have to split the sub channel only, and use it on both sides. Just leave the center disconnected.

Comment

Which is what I've done and it doesn't work. The Sub out channel from the SB-Live is in the same 3.5mm hole that the center channel is. So I went out and bought a 3.5mm to stereo RCA cable. (Stereo channels on both RCA jacks, one jack sub, one jack center) The sub channel does nothing to the amplifier, the center channel works fine through the amplifier, except most of my songs are playing bass on the subfwoofer channel which isnt comming out of the soundblaster. It sounds like I might need to reinstall my creative software.

-w

Comment

You sure you got the right kind of adapter? Didn't the card come with one? Sounds like you might have the wrong channel / wire.

Comment

Yes, I have all the correct adapters, it is something to do with my Sb or Sb software.

To get around the problem, I bridged my front left and front right to the center channel, the sub channel now does nothing anywhere. I took my front left and front right channels and ran them to the subs, so now I get more bass, but still probably not the whole amount.

So instead of a 5.1 system, I'm down to 3.2, one center (two speakers), back left, back right, and the subs.

Seems to work fine for now.

-w

Comment

Working...
                        X