Monster cable?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monster cable?

I wanted to get some of the audiophiles on the board's opinion on the benefits of Monster cable over more normal shielded / gold plated designs from say, Radio Shack.

I'm looking at getting an 1/8" stereo jack (comptuer) to 2xRCA (amp).

Monster Interlink 400 MkII:
    http://www.monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=135

Any audible benefits you think? Thanks.

they are good cables, and yes, you will hear an audible difference between the monster cable stuff and the cheapo Radio Shack stuff....

what you have linked to there should work just fine!
    Jan Bennett
    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Radioshack sells 3 distinct lines of cables. Monster (which has up to 3 different quality cables), RS Gold, and RS Silver. There is a VERY big difference between the Monster and Silver and definately a noticable difference between Monster and Gold. The nice thing is that Monster is about the same price as the RS Gold and the Monster comes with a limited lifetime warranty, just bring it into RS with your original RS receipt and they will exchange it for you.

Comment

I have that cable in my home theatre setup, and it sounds great! I love my Monster cables.
        1990 Jeep Cherokee
        2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
        2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

i have some monster cables and some other brands of gold plated interconnects that were less than half the price. I cannot tell the difference between them. I will never waste my money on monster brand cables ever again. A lot of it has to do with you other hardware too. if your stereo system is sub-par monster probably wont help too much.
          System: AMD Duron 1200+ , 512 MB ram , usb sb mp3+ , Tview 7" touchscreen , M1-ATX PSU , Slot Load iMac DVD-Rom , 40 GB laptop HDD, netgear USB 802.11g

Progress: Installation: 90% Dash fabrication: 80%

Parts Needed: USB GPS

Comment

Those of you who like to invest in expensive cables, i suggest you have a read of : http://sound.westhost.com/cables.htm

Its long, but very informative.

Long story short, theres one of car audio's most famous engineers, Richard Clarke, offering both to give you $10,000 AND he'll also go stand in the middle of Baghdad and curse Allah, if you can hear the difference between any two normal cables in a blind test (i.e one where you dont know which cable is being used at any point in time)... so far, noone has, and noone will.

But honestly, read the above link I've got some SERIOUS gear going in my car, as in $20-25k worth of audio, and i'm using US$50 cables, simply because there's no point spending more, all you're buying is marketing claims and snake oil.

All WELL DESIGNED interconnects will sound the same (bar the ones that use extras like Zobel networks, thats cheating)... if anyone wishes to prove me wrong via some form of scientific test, you're welcome to try, heck, i'll give you $1000 myself if you do it right and still pick a difference

Comment

Originally posted by Blackrazor
              All WELL DESIGNED interconnects will sound the same
              that's the key, an no, walmart $7 cables aren't well designed
              Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Damn it.. I just baught the Radioshack 7.00 special (gold plated) now that I read this.. I might have to buy the monster cables... GRRRRR curse you all
                Progress [I will seriously never be done!]
                Via EPIA MII
                512MB RAM
                OEM GPS (embedded)
                nLite WinXP pro on
                1GB Extreme III CF card
                Carnetix 1260 startup/ DC-DC regulator
                Software: Still, re-Writing my existing front end in .Net

Comment

Originally posted by Red GTi VR6
                  that's the key, an no, walmart $7 cables aren't well designed
                  Not usually, no. I would personally say that if you are interested in SQ, i wouldnt spend less than $20 per pair and no more than $75 per pair (US$). Below $20 you'll probably buy rubbish, above $75 you're probably buying snakeoil

Comment

I paid around $50 a set of mine - but that was at below dealer cost though an accomidation form.

I also had some special needs in terms of interconnects...so I ended up going with what fit those needs...lol
                    Jan Bennett

Comment

i use knukonceptz wiring for rca's but alas.. i dont need rca interconnects anymore so i have a bunch of twisted rcas sitting around...

i picked up some nice flexible cable at my local frys electronics, that go stereo plug to RCA... i think they are called "pure av" they werent too expensive and hell they sound pretty good..
                      Carputer HIFI car stereo project!
                      [XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX-]
                      95% COMPLETE! FINALIZING SOFTWARE PLATFORM!

[XXXXXX--------------]
                      30% COMPLETE! CAPUTER Version 2.0! Hardware FAILING! CARPUTER BLEW UP! AND NOW MONITOR TOO! WTF?!

Comment

Working...
                      X