Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home speakers in the car

Hello all ...

A relatively simple question that I've not been able to find here, on 12volt, etc. What is the basic difference between home speakers and car speakers? I've heard car speakers are 'shielded' but don't know how that will affect the stereo or if it can be fixed. I would also guess that the power supply will be different but also guess that there's a workaround for that that's probably cheaper than buying 8 new speakers.

I ask because I am flush with perfectly good home speakers that I just don't really need ... but have no speakers to install in my car unless I can buy some or Frankinsteinify the bunch I have around the house.

steve
    You are all guilty of feeding the drug habit I have: obsessing with my car. Damn you!!

Home speakers normally have a resistance of 8 Ohms, whereas car speakers are normally 4ohms or even 2ohms.

therefore depending on headunit or amplier you will more than likely have a impedance mismatch. The higher resistance is likely to put more of a starin on the amp/HU, and you won't get the same power output as rated.

Comment

Red's gonna have a heart attack when she sees this thread...home speakers in a car!!!..she will have nightmares

Comment

DJ speakers in the car :-D haha one of my friend was messing around and he did that off a 1000 watt amp on my jbl speakers droped em down to 4 ohms :-D

Comment

Originally posted by Enforcer
          Home speakers normally have a resistance of 8 Ohms, whereas car speakers are normally 4ohms or even 2ohms.

therefore depending on headunit or amplier you will more than likely have a impedance mismatch. The higher resistance is likely to put more of a starin on the amp/HU, and you won't get the same power output as rated.
          a higher resistance will put less strain on the headunit or amplifier and thus you will get less than the output rated
          Signature: [==||========] 20% complete

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Monkey
            Red's gonna have a heart attack when she sees this thread...home speakers in a car!!!..she will have nightmares
            absolutely not...

some of hte best sounding vehicles in competitions are using home speakers.

it's been going of for ever...

for example: Morel, Mark Levenson, etc...

you can run a car audio amplifier at 8 ohms, you will just have less power out of it. A lot of the higher end home audio equipment out there (speakers, amps, etc) actually run at lower impedences....4-2 ohm. So many times there isn't an issue there.

For instance, the Focal Beryllium tweeters that I am waiting on for my car....came from the home line....they have just been tweeked a bit for car use....

remember that black eclipse (Mickey) that I posted pics of from the pics from padre thread? Those tweeters that he's running are the home berylliums....(which is why I took a picture of them...lol).

Totally possible and very feasable....if set-up right
            Jan Bennett
            FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Originally posted by impulsenine
              Hello all ...

A relatively simple question that I've not been able to find here, on 12volt, etc. What is the basic difference between home speakers and car speakers? I've heard car speakers are 'shielded' but don't know how that will affect the stereo or if it can be fixed. I would also guess that the power supply will be different but also guess that there's a workaround for that that's probably cheaper than buying 8 new speakers.

I ask because I am flush with perfectly good home speakers that I just don't really need ... but have no speakers to install in my car unless I can buy some or Frankinsteinify the bunch I have around the house.

steve
              you will need to know what kind of home speakers they are first of all...or let us know....and we can work from there possibly...

=]
              Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

I agree with Red, but watch out because car speakers are built with the harsh automotive environment in mind. (open your door panel after a rainy day, you will probably find moisture/condensation in there)
                New System in progress:
                M10k
                Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
                Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
                Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
                Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
                Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

might as well add Focal to that list of home speakers that are used in the car at times....
                  Jan Bennett

Comment

Duly noted - I will continue this thread when I've gathered, tested, optioned, and approve all my potential speakers.

In particular, this came up because I have a nice pair of 2.1 PC speakers whose wiring is all sorts of bad (that is, the wiring between the bass/amp and the sattelites is a cruddy hardwired cable) but the speakers themselves are very nice and clear. Seems a waste to not use them. Uhh plus I won't have to blow tons of cash on speakers.

I wonder if it's possible to have all these crazy carputer/stereo /lighting ideas come to life for <$1000 ... 'cos that would

Oh and Red ... nice homepage. I'm hoping to do similar things with me vehicle and on the web.
                    You are all guilty of feeding the drug habit I have: obsessing with my car. Damn you!!

Comment

it's really ghetto...lol

I hope to have time over spring break to redo it...haven't updated it since I finished..heh
                      Jan Bennett

Comment

If you wire TWO 8-ohm speakers in PARALLEL, you'll bring the impedance down to 4 ohms.

Comment

wow! I did not know that!

hehe
                          Jan Bennett

Comment

and if you wire them in series will it be 16?

sorry.
                            now working on my Dodge Dak
                            toshiba portege == done
                            audigy2 NX == done
                            7" flush mount == 0%
                            pimp rating == 48%

Comment

my favorite series was family ties....wait, what are we talking about :-)
                              New System in progress:
                              M10k
                              Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
                              Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
                              Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
                              Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
                              Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                              My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Working...
                              X