what kind of wiring do i need?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what kind of wiring do i need?

I am getting a hifonics bx1500d and a hifonics zx6400. I am pretty sure i need 0 gauge wiring but im not exactly sure what to buy. Can i just get a regular 0 guage amp kit or do i need some special stuff.

Looks like around ~1200W RMS, 0 gauge will work fine...

Check out this kit...
    http://knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=KOL-AK0... $70

You should probably also get:
    - 0GA to 4GA fused distribution block (With 100-125A ANL fuses protecting each 4GA line, http://knukonceptz.com/productDetail...rodID=FB-1024D, $40)
    - 4-8 feet of 4GA power and ground wire to (connect distro block to amps and amps to ground. $0.99 per foot, so another $15 or so)

So like $125 or so plus shipping for a pretty sweet 0GA setup... 0GA Power wire alone costs upwards of $200 in most retail stores... and knukonceptz ships fuses with all of those items...

Comment

i have some 0 guage wire i wanna get rid of..50 plus shipping if your interested.
      i got dat ***** sittin on 22s! SUPERMAN EDITION!

Comment

Also check out these sites.
        If you decide to use a dist block, check these out. http://www.tsunamionline.com/product_home.php
        Find the one you like then search for it on http://www.froogle.com They have some good prices. Also check out http://www.partsexpress.com for amp wiring kits. They have some good prices sometimes.
        2.4 celeron
        150 watt OPUS
        micro atx
        xp pro
        tv/radio tuner card
        audigy
        Dual monitor Radeon
        802.11G Mimo
        xm pcr
        dvd
        gps
        8" Lilliput touch screen
        IGuidance
        dual optimas
        battery isolator
        15" screen
        My Truck

Comment

A little off topic...

Sorry to thread jack this one, but I had a quick question on distribution blocks:
          Would something like that work to split power to one amp and the opus in my carPC? That way only one set of wires would be going to the front to power both those things in the back. Seems like it would work to me, but I don't know much about this stuff.
          Thanks.
          ps: n8, check your pm.
          Spent so far: $1,755
          Check Out My Work Log for Specs/Pics
          CarPC Progress[!!!!!!!!!!!!!!].....Installation[---------+].....Pastrami Progress[!!!!!!!!!!!!!!]
          Don't mess with Texas.
          It's not nice to pick on retards!

Comment

Originally posted by edrex
            Sorry to thread jack this one, but I had a quick question on distribution blocks:
            Would something like that work to split power to one amp and the opus in my carPC? That way only one set of wires would be going to the front to power both those things in the back. Seems like it would work to me, but I don't know much about this stuff.
            Thanks.
            Thats exactly why you want to use them. I have one 1/0 gauge wire from the battery, into a master fuse (near the battery) then into the fused dist block. From there I power my inveter, and 2 amps.
            2.4 celeron
            150 watt OPUS
            micro atx
            xp pro
            tv/radio tuner card
            audigy
            Dual monitor Radeon
            802.11G Mimo
            xm pcr
            dvd
            gps
            8" Lilliput touch screen
            IGuidance
            dual optimas
            battery isolator
            15" screen
            My Truck

Comment

Originally posted by edrex
              Thanks.
              Originally posted by n8scstm
              Thats exactly why you want to use them. I have one 1/0 gauge wire from the battery, into a master fuse (near the battery) then into the fused dist block. From there I power my inveter, and 2 amps.
              Yep, but you basically have to have a fused distribution block or fuses on each of the wires after the distribution block to prevent fire issues. Not just 1/0 into distro to two 4GA outputs...

Fuse at battery prevents wire from battery from burning, then fused distribution block prevents wires after it from burning... This is because you can push all of that power flowing into the distrubution block out one of the 4GA outputs (250A through 4ft of 8GA will burn) and it's better to pop fuses than start fires...

Maybe burn is a bad way of describing it, because it does not actually catch fire, it just gets glowing red hot... but red hot = melted sheathing = carpet igniting/plastic melting/massive short/giant arcs.

Quite a few people think that the fuse at battery or distro block is there to protect their amp/device... but it is actually the wire that needs the protection.

Comment

does this look right?

Comment

ill ace it looks ok except i dont know of any distribution blocks that input 0 guage and output 0 guage also..maybe output 4 guage but thats it..like i said i got a nice 0 guage wire i had in my truck.. i pulled my system and now its just chillen..i paid 100 for the wire alone and ill throw in a free battery connector for 0 guage...all for 50 shipped...

Comment

It is more like this:
                    Attached Files

Comment

is 4 gauge going to be enough power for the bx1500d. It has about 1500rms watts

Comment

should be fine..i had my 0 guage ditributed into 4 guage on a 1500 watt autotek stealth and a 900 watt stealth and it was PERFECT. this is another way to think about it..how big are the inputs on the amp? if they are 8 guage go with 8..if they are 4 guage go with 4..if they are 2 or 0 guage than go with that. unless you have a reallllly powerful crazy amp than itll have a 0 guage input..my stealth had a 2 guage and 4 guage inputs..i used 4 on both and it was really clean.

Comment

It will be plenty. Keep in mind those 4 gauge wires will be pretty short, so you'll have less resistence.
                          2.4 celeron
                          150 watt OPUS
                          micro atx
                          xp pro
                          tv/radio tuner card
                          audigy
                          Dual monitor Radeon
                          802.11G Mimo
                          xm pcr
                          dvd
                          gps
                          8" Lilliput touch screen
                          IGuidance
                          dual optimas
                          battery isolator
                          15" screen
                          My Truck

Comment

Originally posted by guavo
                            Yep, but you basically have to have a fused distribution block or fuses on each of the wires after the distribution block to prevent fire issues. Not just 1/0 into distro to two 4GA outputs...

Maybe burn is a bad way of describing it, because it does not actually catch fire, it just gets glowing red hot... but red hot = melted sheathing = carpet igniting/plastic melting/massive short/giant arcs.
                            Sorry I should have mentioned that I have a fused dist. block.

Actually I have had the wire catch on fire and it wasnt pretty. It was on my mom's car too. That's why I have so many fuses and circuit breakers on my system. I learned my lesson. I had to replace her battery and I spent a couple hours trying to find out why it still wouldnt start. The factory alarm had some fuses under the dash that blew. I was scared that I fried the OEM computer at first. Plus it put some nice burn marks on the cloth where the wire was laying. She wasn't too happy. All that was because I didnt put a fuse at the battery. I didnt think wire that thick would actually chafe and short out, but I was wrong. So don't think it can't happen. Always put a fuse as close to the battery as possible.

In the pic, I have a 4 gauge wire from my isolator going into a circuit breaker then to the battery. The 1/0 gauge wire is fused with a large fuse then continues to my fused dist block.
                            Attached Files
                            2.4 celeron
                            150 watt OPUS
                            micro atx
                            xp pro
                            tv/radio tuner card
                            audigy
                            Dual monitor Radeon
                            802.11G Mimo
                            xm pcr
                            dvd
                            gps
                            8" Lilliput touch screen
                            IGuidance
                            dual optimas
                            battery isolator
                            15" screen
                            My Truck

Comment

Originally posted by ill_ace
                              is 4 gauge going to be enough power for the bx1500d. It has about 1500rms watts
                              It should be fine... because it's a Class D amplifier with 80% or so power efficiency, but you might want to go with 2 gauge though...

Check out the bcae power system interconnect calculator thing and it will tell you all of the fuses you will need too...

http://www.bcae1.com/images/swfs/sys...nassistant.swf

Originally posted by n8scstm
                              Sorry I should have mentioned that I have a fused dist. block.
                              I assumed that you had one... but it is pretty important so I made a big deal of the importance of having one Always better to replace a $5 fuse rather than the $25,000 car

Comment

Working...
                              X