Total Frikin n00b here

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Total Frikin n00b here

Hi... n00b to carputer, but systems engineer, so I can finger stuff out pretty well on my own.

However, on to my divisive and subjective question.

The carputer I am about to start out with is loaded with MediaCar. I understand development has ceased, so in its place I am likely to go with Road Runner. I decided to install a carputer because I like toys, and I will actually use this for business purposes. My car is my office, so I can track what I need and store my daily information on a USB drive or what have you.

Unlike many of you, I listen to the radio alot (as opposed to mp3s and the like) and will miss that immediately (I have to remove my factory HU in my 01 325ci). I am interested in using a USB FM receiver, but without any experience, I am at a bit of a loss.

Before you say it... yes... I did search, and there is plenty about "use a USB FM receiver", but nothing really specific.

I was sort of thinking of using a Hauppauge WinTV-USB-FM but.....

I am interested in opinions, specifically with Road Runner. What is the interface like etc.

Your help and input will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

There's a guy who mounted his stock radio BEHIND the LCD and when you pushed the LCD in, the radio area was exposed. I think this would be perfect for you.

The good radio is still under development
    PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
    GammaControl v2.4
    SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Try the Griffin Radioshark. It has an external antennae plug on it.

Or go with XM. Not sure if you want local radio stations or not.

For my rig, I have a stock head unit and full FM/AM. I switch to aux inputs for the carputer. Works fine and best of both worlds unless you're really picky about your audio.
      Originally posted by ghettocruzer
      I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
      Want to:
      -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
      -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

ya know, I havent had a radio in my car in 18 months or so, but when I went home last weekend and drove my mother's car around, there wasnt anything playing on any station that I didn't already have.

Unless you are talking about talk radio......
        Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
        Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
        I'M DEBT FREE!!
        I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

Well.... This site rocks.... 3 replies in 10 minutes... that has to be some kind of record. Thanks everyone... I was thinking of leaving the stock H/U connected. I don't know if this is possible, and I would like control of the radio through the front end. I don't really care if the performance is all that great as i usually use the radio for listening to the weather forcast or local news. If I want quality audio... I bet you can guess what I am about to say.

Mostly I want FM for local stuff. I'll be happy to wait for some better technology when it arrives (I saw the thread in progress), but until then, I want something that works. I did see the radioshark, but I have a convertible and the antenna might pose a problem for me.

Comment

Working...
          X