X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many people use only an amp for sound

Hi,
    I am building my system for my dads showcar in his shop
    But then i will have it for myself...well What I am wondering is if I plug my PC into the amp, and control the sound purly from frodoplayer, might one day the sound lock up and jump to 100%?

Has anyone had any issues running the sound only off the amp.
    thanks
    Noobiiiii
    with much knowledge!
    50% completed demo car for Dice, Inc.

bumpy
    wow noone had issues or any anything come up which they can share?
    Noobiiiii
    with much knowledge!

Comment

I use an old radio shack amp to powever my speakers, it's an optimus 340 watt amp.. I know but it was 25 bucks off of e-bay I know it's pretty good for that price. Well I enjoy it.. I noticed an incredible imporvement, especially with my phillips soundcard. There is a grounding probelm that I will eventually search this site for more info, I know I've seen people discuss it.. happens on shutdown and truning the car off, big loud scary noise.. but other than that the best thing to do is turn off all the event sounds just incase.. helps with startup. I haven't had a progblem with loss of control or it getting really loud, although I did use my remote and stand outside the truck to see how loud it got. I think if your gonna get a 3D card like what I did, use a good 4 chennel amp, that's what I did and noticed a huge difference. Plus I'm sure you know you can get an amp with a remote volume control
      [------|-] 95% computer... is it ever really done?

www.vehicross.info for all you VXer's

Comment

I'm going to be putting a few "kill switches" within reach while sitting in the driver's to shutdown the amps (inline on REM lead) and the carputer (not sure which lead)

May do some digitial volume control directly on the RCA outputs too via rotary encoder up front sending it's position information to some amplitude limiting circuit running in-line with each of the 3 pairs of RCA outputs in the carputer (Limiting RCA length)... And if this circuit shuts down, the amps should get no input or maybe even shutdown...

VehicrossPC: Sounds like you need to delay the startup of the amp by 3-4 seconds until the carputer hardware initializes (My desktop PC does the same thing on turn-on/turn-off with my logitech 5.1 speaker set)... May be able to fade volume to 0 as part of the carputer shutdown sequence or just cut power to the REM lead when Ignition power is off?

Comment

I have never had an issues with the sound getting too loud if the computer crashes. Only two problems I seen:
          1. If using hibernate, after comming from hibernation the sound jumps to 100% However I have read that to overcome this, do not use the master volume to control your music. Use the wave volume to control your music.

2. If the system crashes and has an auto-reboot function you will get a rather nasty speakerpop. I haven't had any crash issues since upgrading from Win98 tho.

Comment

Thank you guys
            I think what we will do is run an extension of 12V wire out of OPUS to the Amps remote turn on. So when the computer turns on the AMP will too.
            Couple things i fear will go wrong is that the 12V is always providing power out of Opus and that the draw might be too much or might effect the screen to flicker...

anyone agree on this method?
            Noobiiiii
            with much knowledge!

Comment

bump...anyone think its a bad idea?
              Noobiiiii
              with much knowledge!

Comment

Working...
              X