My computer fried my Alpine!?!?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My computer fried my Alpine!?!?

Ok...there I was in my car, had the computer running and grabbed my aux input cables and plugged them into my head unit...waaallla...distorted sound! So I whipped around and grabbed my sony mp3 player and plugged that in...distorted as well..but yet it worked the day before...what the h#ll happened?

I am almost positive the computer had the output voltage all jacked up since it didnt have any load on it so it fried my Ai-net controller. Of course the HU was used and had no warranty so i ordered a new one. Now I am kindof leary about hooking the computer back up to the new one.. ..has anyone had this problem before or have you even heard of such a thing happening?

I am thinking about getting a preamp attenuator to solve this problem and minimizing the threat of voltage spikes so they dont burn out my new HU since its so nice...Alpine CDA-9815! And theres no way im going back to mp3 cd-r's so I need to figure something out ASAP!

BTW!! My new lilliput 7" touchscreen is on its way!!
    PC: PC-CHIPS 955G,P4 2.6Ghz,512Mb,80Gb,16X DVD
    Screen: 7" Lilliput 619
    HU: Alpine CDA-9815
    Front: 6.5 rockford components system with 4 tweeters
    Rear: 6X9 Kicker Impulse
    Amp: Profile Clarus Cl400
    Subs: (2) Kicker CompVR 12"
    Amp: RF 500a^2

i think you should do more investigating before you blame it on the computer..i have the same setup but with pioneer headunit..comp running right into aux input with no problem...maybe you headunit just gave up?? lol
    i got dat ***** sittin on 22s! SUPERMAN EDITION!

Comment

pioneer HU's might have a higher maximum input voltage on the aux adapter..i called alpine today and they said the input voltage is 150mV..but that just doesnt sound right to me...thatd be fine for things such as mp3 players but computers can output as much as 2V.

Comment

That 150mv is way too low for aux input. Even normal valkman gives more voltage. Normal aux should handle that 2v as it is "normal" line voltage.
        Carputer
        Via Epia 800MHz\389MB\200GB\ 10,4" LCD
        Wlan And Gps via USB (broken)

Audio
        Hergules game thether 7.1, SinusLive 3505 amp OEM speakers+15"Sub

Bump...Bump...Bump.... Here we go again.....

Pictures
        http://www.javapeli.net/opel/

Comment

Was your headunit on at the time?

You need to be VERY careful plugging and unplugging cables while your equipment is switched on.

I fried the right channel on my AI-NET on my Alpine by fiddling with some totally unrelated power cables while my headunit was on. The small spark I created somehow caused a spike on the line-in and damaged an IC.

I had to send it back and have it replaced.

Also.. make sure your PC is not putting out DC on it's lineout. My laptop does so I have to stick a ground loop isolator on the line-in cable. (A ground loop isolator is basically a 1:1 transformer.)

Comment

I have heard of alpines getting fried before by the DC output on a soundcard. May have been you Engram but i don't think so.

Comment

Why not just put the output under load with some cheap RCA cables, strip them bare in the middle, put a multimeter across them and jack up the volume all the way on your soundcard.
              Visit my website at:
              http://www.hostilejava.com
              http://hostilejava.com/gerbil5.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by HostileJava
                Why not just put the output under load with some cheap RCA cables, strip them bare in the middle, put a multimeter across them and jack up the volume all the way on your soundcard.
                I prefer the ground loop isolator idea - sounds a bit safer!

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Monkey
                  I prefer the ground loop isolator idea - sounds a bit safer!

That's not going ot help if it's putting out to much voltage for his input to handle. He needs to identify the high output voltage from the card some how. Unless he can get the specs on it he's just going to have to take measurements.
                  Visit my website at:

Comment

That's not going ot help if it's putting out to much voltage for his input to handle. He needs to identify the high output voltage from the card some how. Unless he can get the specs on it he's just going to have to take measurements.
                    ahhh i thought you were using the mulitmeter as a load of some sort. Head's full of chemicals today (i don't mean literally - i mean thinking about them)

Comment

No I meant plug it into an amp or somthing since the voltage readings are going to be different when the circuit is loaded down and take voltage readings from it.
                      Visit my website at:

Comment

No I meant plug it into an amp or somthing since the voltage readings are going to be different when the circuit is loaded down and take voltage readings from it.
                        yeah i realsied that, eventually.

Comment

Ill try the multimeter idea..i tried testing the current with just a multimeter but i was getting readings that would continuosly drop and it never went high enough to even hurt nething

i ordered a peripheral Attenuator last night..this will allow me to adjust my input current so it matches my HU better

Comment

are you powering your comp w/ an inverter?
                            if so this may be the cause of your distortion. my inverter would put out alot of distortion w/ my subs before I grounded seperatly from the amps.
                            amd 1700, biostar m7ncg 400, hitachi deskstar 120 8mb , 512 pc2700, liliput 7"
                            now to put it all together

Comment

yes i am powering it with an inverter an i have realized that before my computer powers on it makes a kindof buzzing noise like some kindof ground loop or somethin

Comment

Working...
                              X