Too big of an amp?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too big of an amp?

Well, I just bought the last piece of equipment for my carPC. I got a 4 channel 600w 2ohm Planet Audio amp. Bought it real cheap off a friend. I am wondering is it possible this is to much power for my car door speakers. In my door I have Infinities not exactly sure model # but they are 5" 1/4 fronts 4 ohm 55w and 4" 45 rear 4 ohm 45w. I dont want to go hook it all up and blow my speakers although I want to trash my infinities the time is not right yet. I dont know to much about amps and what the differance in ohms means. Will the amp not overpower my speakers or is there a way to restrict how much power goes out the amp. Or just any suggestions on what I should do, new speakers or just get another amp although I would like to work with what I already have.

Depending on the price, I'd say good luck getting 600w out of it, its prolly 600W PMPO.

I'd hook it up and see how she flies, you'll have more problem with lower wattage amp causing clipping then the higher wattage amp just played at lower levels.

Ohms are a measurement of resistance, if i recall correctly. As long as the speakers are wired proper, no problems will arise.

Comment

it can be 4*150W to 2 Ohm and 4*75 to 4 ohm. So i think that it would be nice setup for your's speakers.
      Carputer
      Via Epia 800MHz\389MB\200GB\ 10,4" LCD
      Wlan And Gps via USB (broken)

Audio
      Hergules game thether 7.1, SinusLive 3505 amp OEM speakers+15"Sub

Bump...Bump...Bump.... Here we go again.....

Pictures
      http://www.javapeli.net/opel/

Comment

restrict power = turn down teh gain

but I'm in teh same boat as kai...

there has to be a model number for that amplifier...

if you can get it that would be great..

post it here, or a link to the amp with some specs would be nice

I HIGHLY doubt it's ANYWHERE near 600 watts

PA isn't known for being a good amplifier company
        Jan Bennett
        FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

I bet it is 600W @ 2ohm bridged = [email protected], which is probably max power, not RMS... So more like 150Wx2 RMS @2ohm = [email protected].. and most likely 30-40Wx4 @ 4 ohm RMS non-bridged... amazing how Max power, bridging, and lower impedendence can inflate an amp's power rating so insanely...

So the issue of blowing those speakers is probably going to be the distorted output from that amp rather than too much power...

Comment

might wanna read another thread in here before making blanket statements...

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45136
            Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Originally posted by Red GTi VR6
              might wanna read another thread in here before making blanket statements...

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45136
              Sorry, my phrasing was poor, did not mean to insinuate that the amp was of poor quality... really was just speculating on the power output and saying that it appeared that the amp had similar characteristcs to the speaker power handling... and that distortion would be a much more likely cause of speaker death than too much clean power.

From BCAE:
              No one can tell you if you will blow your speakers with a given amplifier. They may be able to tell you whether or not a pair of speakers will be able to handle a given amount of continuous RMS power. But... since they don't know your listening habits or your ability to hear (or even be concerned about) distortion, they (in my opinion) cannot actually tell you if a given amplifier (with you at the volume control) will blow your speakers.

Comment

It will work fine on your door speakers. I have the Planet Audio 8004 which is 100x4 rms. And for you haters I was told Planet Audio sucked but after installing all planet audio amps in my car and took the car to the place that built my box they were shock that my system sounded so good. Planet Audio is very good for very cheap.

Comment

lol - well of cours they were shocked....what store is going to tell you something you don't want to hear? especially when you are a customer of theirs?

lol
                  Jan Bennett

Comment

As far as "overpowering" speakers goes... it's actually pretty damn hard to do. Take it from a guy who's pushed 220wrms to each door... One of the biggest deals is making sure they're set to a high-pass crossover. Realistically, though you should be well within actual recommended power range. Besides, Infinity is AWESOME about warranty shoudl it be a problem.

eitherway, you'll hear it when they're starting to be pushed toofar.
                    Amd 2200+ athXPmobile, MSI KT6V-LSR mobo, Opus 150w, 512 ram, exterasys WIFI card, Hitachi 160gb, 3.5"hdd, bluetooth, Xenarc 700ts
                    4/9/04: case roughed out and functional, hardware all together, finishing up bezel for screen, layingout wires, etc in car.

Comment

you know....we keep saying that you will hear it...

to someone who knows what distortion sounds like - they will hear it

but for someone who has absolutely no idea, they won't even know it unless it's REALLY bad
                      Jan Bennett

Comment

I spose so, but if all of the sudden your speakers start making funny noises that your'e not used to hearing immediately KILL EVERYTHING volume down, powerdown, or pause or whatever it takes to stop signal asap.
                        Amd 2200+ athXPmobile, MSI KT6V-LSR mobo, Opus 150w, 512 ram, exterasys WIFI card, Hitachi 160gb, 3.5"hdd, bluetooth, Xenarc 700ts
                        4/9/04: case roughed out and functional, hardware all together, finishing up bezel for screen, layingout wires, etc in car.

Comment

Thanks for all the good info. The model number on it is PA3004, I cant find PA on the internet with specs anywhere. I thought PA was a small European company but theres a label on the amp saying Made in USA. I know that they are not a top of the line amp but you get what u paid for and I didnt pay very much. Looking at the ohms issue I figure I should be fine with my speakers. Just waiting now for the warmer weather and my computer/amp installed I have been planing it for over a year now. One question though there is no dial labeled as gain, there is however a dial labeld level and another phase shift. I am not sure what the level or the phase shift dials do.

Comment

Originally posted by CousinOpey
                            Thanks for all the good info. The model number on it is PA3004, I cant find PA on the internet with specs anywhere. I thought PA was a small European company but theres a label on the amp saying Made in USA. I know that they are not a top of the line amp but you get what u paid for and I didnt pay very much. Looking at the ohms issue I figure I should be fine with my speakers. Just waiting now for the warmer weather and my computer/amp installed I have been planing it for over a year now. One question though there is no dial labeled as gain, there is however a dial labeld level and another phase shift. I am not sure what the level or the phase shift dials do.
                            Here's the PlanetAudio website, but no mention of any PA3004 amp:
                            http://www.planetaudiousa.com/home/

Since they seem to name their products based on the specifications, I would think that 3004 = 300.4 = 75W x 4 RMS

Level is almost always Gain.

Would think that phase shift is for time correction or maybe the HP/LP filter?

Comment

yes the Planet Audio PA3004 is a 75Wx4 amp rms
                              Car: 2000 Audi A4 Avant 1.8t
                              Carputer 2.0: removed. Back to stock.

Comment

Working...
                              X