Hello

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello

So I've been lurking for awhile, and just started posting, figured I should introduce myself.

My name's Paul, 27y/o I live in WA, USA, I moderate the audio section of mazdaforums, I've done alot of fiberglassing, and dealt with alot of SQ related 12v audio. I have not competed, though I was all geared up for it last year before money issues kept my travelling to catch shows/contests to nothing. I currently am enrolled in machinist training which might come in handy for making a custom case, etc. I also work at Stereo 1st which is a small highend shop, and after looking into all of the dvd/nav setups and realizing how limited they are for what they cost, I've recently decided that I Need to get a carputer. I'm still working on my setup for that, which is why I'm here.

My current Caraudio setup:

Eclipse 8454hu
    Tri-amped front stage;
    dual 4.5" vifa "infinity" midranges flanking a CDT tw25s in the kicks
    vifa 7" midbass in factory 6x8 door locations.
    eD 12a.22 (though I have SERIOUS beef with them and donot support or advocate them in anywhich way) I'll soon have either an Adire TUmult or brahma in it'splace.
    Avionixx NXD2400m 1200rms monoamp: Sub
    AXA600.4 110x4rms: midbass and midrange
    eclipse 85x2rms: Tweeters
    no external processing yet. (the eclipse handles ALOT on it's own)
    Amd 2200+ athXPmobile, MSI KT6V-LSR mobo, Opus 150w, 512 ram, exterasys WIFI card, Hitachi 160gb, 3.5"hdd, bluetooth, Xenarc 700ts
    4/9/04: case roughed out and functional, hardware all together, finishing up bezel for screen, layingout wires, etc in car.

Good to see a fellow Adire lover And yeh, i know what you mean about eD...

Do you mind if others use this thread to make introductions (like me?)

Comment

not a problem at all man. Always nice to know a bit about who you're talking to.

Andyea, Adire's a great company, I'm fortunate enough to be just over the hills from them, and have made some friends over there in my process of creating an eD stink. Actually, if you caught any of that wave last summer about the blown eDi's, that was me... because apparantly any problems are directly the fault of the customer and not covered under warranty. *slow deep breaths* alright I'll stop fornow *L*
      Amd 2200+ athXPmobile, MSI KT6V-LSR mobo, Opus 150w, 512 ram, exterasys WIFI card, Hitachi 160gb, 3.5"hdd, bluetooth, Xenarc 700ts
      4/9/04: case roughed out and functional, hardware all together, finishing up bezel for screen, layingout wires, etc in car.

Comment

Cool!

My name's Daniel S, 25y/o, i live in Nelson, New Zealand, about 2 hours flight from Sydney, Australia, and about 20mins flight from Wellington (where they made Lord of the Rings)

I've been in home and car audio retail since i was 18, and am currently running a high-end car audio store, selling gear like Adire, RE, TRU Tech, Rainbow, Digital Designs, etc. I run our stores forums at www.audio-apex.com/forum (coincidentally, if you want to see some tutorials like how to make fibreglass enclosures, doorpods, etc, check out our tutorial section at http://www.audio-apex.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=29), and i'm also the head car audioa advice guru for about 5 other forums. I also write and maintain the audio section for a national car magazine, and am the head judge for the New Zealand branch of the CAASQ sound quality competition format.

I've got a crazy love of music, i like pretty much any kind, in the 15 minutes i went driving this morning to pick up some milk i listened to Straight Outta Compton by NWA, the 1812 Overture, and Money for Nothing by Dire Straights, so yeh, i'm pretty eclectic.

I've just bought a new car, so it hasnt had any new audio put in it yet, but i'm going to convert it into a high end audio demo / competition car, and the gear going into it will be :

Pioneer ODR P90RS/P9 headunit and DAC/EQ combo
        AudioControl DQS 6 channel 30 band digital EQ
        Rainbow Audio Reference 3-way front components (arguably the best car audio speakers money can buy)
        TRU T-O3 amps, x2, 4x200wRMS each, one per side (L+R)
        TRU Hammer sub amp, 2600wRMS
        Adire Audio Tumult 12" subwoofers, x2, aperiodically loaded.
        One heck of a load of sound deadening
        Car PC running fully solid state to run the Termlab (SPL sensor) and RTA (for doing tuning for SQ installations)

The Car PC will essentially be there so i can use the car as a mobile testing lab for customers who want to test how their car measures from an SPL or SQ perspective

Comment

just an FYI - usually the n00bs post their intros in the n00b section....

thanks for posting all of your info though, it's good to know the backgrounds of a few people

on the Rainbow speakers...I'll be one to argue that point...lol
          Jan Bennett
          FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Ever heard a set

The two sets of speakers widely regarded as the best two on the planet are the Focal Utopia Be's, and the RAC Reference's... which one each individual thinks is best varies from person to person because they are both sensational yet both sound so different

But to give you an idea where the Refs sit, when AutoHiFi (big car audio magazine from Germany, Rainbow are from Germany) tested the Refs, they gave them the highest score ever awarded in their mag, AND downgraded the test scores of every other speaker they'd tested by 5% to reflect where the Refs sat in the scale... thats just one magazines opinion of course, but still, its pretty impressive, and i'd tend to agree with them

Comment

I'm sponsored by Ac Audio...I was running the pro series in my car for a season

I've listened to my fair share of rainbows...it's funny when even Arc Audio (as far as I know/knew - the only distributer for Rainbow speakers in the States) recomends against anything above the pro line...

I will give you the Bes though - which is why I am going to be upgrading to them once they make it out over here - upgrading from the K2Ps
              Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

As far as i know, the current distributor of RAC in the US is Alumapro, not Arc... and theres a phenomenal difference between the old Pro's (new Profi line equivalent) and the Platinums and References

Anyway, all comes down to personal taste in the end

Comment

this was a year ago, when I was running the rainbows....I do know that some stuff has changed but didn't care to know all the nitty gritty details since I wasn't concerned with going with rainbows any more since I wasn't all that impressed with them (especially midbass response) and most everyone I had talked to felt that there were better speakers out there

many of the expert compeditors that I have talked to seemed to feel that the rainbows didn't have it together quite as well as the focals...

the Rainbows are a very nice speaker, don't get me wrong, but I just don't put them on the same level as the Focals....

but again, all personal tastes
                  Jan Bennett

Comment

Working...
                  X