HELP!! Buzzing coming thru speakers..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!! Buzzing coming thru speakers..

Can someone who's good w/ car stereo offer me some insight please?

I have my computer's sound card output hooked into my amp and it makes this buzzing noise that's really annoying at low volume levels. If i plug headphones into the computer, no noise. If I run an external cd player into the amp, no noise. If i add a ground loop isolator, it makes things worse. If i change the wires from the amp to the computer, it doesn't help. I have tried 2 differnt stereo to rca adatpers, and 2 sets of rca cables. I have re-routed them in various ways, and I have regrounded the amp elsewhere. HELP!?!

Have you grounded the computer case?
    mATX mobo
    2.4 GHz Celeron (prescott)
    512 MB RAM
    80 GB 3.5" HD
    Runnin off an inverter (for now)
    7" Lilliput
    Microsoft (Pharos) USB GPS
    Have yet to pull the trigger on a slim slot load DVD

Comment

are you running power next to signal wires?

have you made SURE that you have a good ground? have you scraped away all the paint that was there?

are you using an inverter or a DC-DC psu?
      Jan Bennett
      FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

One last time. Use a ground loop isolator.
        http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...t%5Fid=270-054
        If this is the one that you have already tried then I appolagize but I swear by this one. If you havnt tried this particular one, that would be my next step.
        2.4 celeron
        150 watt OPUS
        micro atx
        xp pro
        tv/radio tuner card
        audigy
        Dual monitor Radeon
        802.11G Mimo
        xm pcr
        dvd
        gps
        8" Lilliput touch screen
        IGuidance
        dual optimas
        battery isolator
        15" screen
        My Truck

Comment

The case is grounded. I have tried holding the rca cables from the computer to the amp in the air, that doesn't seem to stop the noise. The battery is in the trunk, so I didn't run a big power wire from the hood. I grounded the computer at the facotry ground for the battery, so I know that's good. I'm running an inverter, but I have one in my other car and I have installed them in lots of cars like this, but never heard this noise before. it's not just a whine, it's a buzzing sound, and it doesn't change w/ rpm's.

Comment

hrmmm - sound card?

amp going out?

does it get louder with the volume being turned up?

there's so many different things is could be...lol
            Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

n8scstm, might want to read a little more throughly next time?

Originally posted by amrit50
              If i add a ground loop isolator, it makes things worse.
              Jan Bennett

Comment

Ground your PC audio to your HU audio.

I'm pretty sure that'll fix your problem.

Comment

"Ground your PC audio to your HU audio."

What does this mean?

If i must the pc volume the sound doesn't change, nor does changing the volume. The sound is on board on a new MB, and the amp is brand new too.

Comment

HU=head unit I don't have a head unit, just a lillput screen.

Comment

get a SB Audigy or higher end sound card

I woiuld suggest getting a higher end sound card. One of the problems with lower end sound cards (and crappy head units/amps with low RCA voltage outs) is that they are too close to the sound floor. Their RCA voltage output is usually low like 2volt or less (many onboard motherboard sound cards have a Signal to noise ratio of something like 85 dB or 90 dB or even worse, while a SB Audigy is 109 dB and have an RCA voltage out of something like 7volts! - better than most head units!).

The further away you are from the noise floor (read higher RCA voltage) the less likely that you will have noise through your system. Higher RCA voltages and higher S/N ratios have allot less problems with noise. Your amps and/or head unit must be able to accept a high voltage as well, or else your amp will experience clipping or distortion. As always, start off with setting your amp gains LOW - higher RCA voltage will allow you to have an car audio performance without noise. On lower end head units lower RCA voltages will cause you to have to turn up the gains to get decent volume. As always - stayaway from crap and you get what you pay for. Never buy Pyle, Pyramid, Legacy or Jensen (lol, pimp my ride put CRAP jensen car stereo equipment in this girl's convertable on the last episode - but then again a great install can make even crap equipment sound decent)

Also if you don't have an amp with an RCA input, then trash your factory head unit and get a high end head unit with high RCA voltage outputs (like 5V or the newer Pioneers that are $200 or more have 6volt on most of them).

If you're broke, then just use an FM transmitter. Since FM transmittors break group loops (since radio waves can't conduct electricity), you shouldn't have a problem with noise.

1: get a high end sound card. SB Audigy 2 ZS, M Audio. If you have a low profile case like me though, you'll be limited to a SB Live 7.1 since regular PCI cards won't fit in most low profile cases.

2: Get a mid range head unit

3: Use a multimeter - check you resistance on you groups for your amps. It is best to ground all amps to the same point using the thickest wire you can afford. Lower gauge wire has lower resistance = less noise typically. If you have different grounds, then consider purchasing distribution blocks (www.knukonceptz.com had cheap blocks that are awesome quality) and grounding everything to the same point. Limit your "bumpin" with your carputer on unless ifd you have a high output alternator (no caps don't do crap - caps don't supply more power constantly - just instantly for 1/2 a second).

4: Upgrade "big 3" power wires under your hood (battery to ground, alternator to battery and battery to main car distribution block).

That's all I can think of. I bet getting a new sound card will solve it though.

Comment

Originally posted by amrit50
                        The sound is on board on a new MB, and the amp is brand new too.
                        this sounds like it could very well be the problem then...you need a seperate sound card...

what lakorai said is very useful for you right now
                        Jan Bennett

Comment

Working...
                        X