Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone out there using KXdriver? You probably should be.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone out there using KXdriver? You probably should be.

Haven't seen much (if any) mention of KXproject or KXdriver on here. It's an open source driver for almost all of the Creative Audigy2 cards and several others using the same basic chipset. It allows you to completely dig into the routing and processing that goes on in the soundcard.

Example:

I've got a 7.1 Audigy2 set up with DSP-implemented crossovers routing specific frequencies to each of the 8 available output channels.

SO... without any outboard hardware, I've got all my highs running to one amp, mids to another, bass to another, and subbass to another. (Note that this is all taking place in my home at the moment, to be transferred into the car when I get my front end set up).

You can also apply delay processing to each and every output channel. For that matter, you could have a separate equalizer for each channel. If you want to throw some "tube amp" sound in the mix, go ahead. It's an incredibly flexible model to work with, and I think it's the one thing that made a carPC a worthwhile and interesting project for me personally.

Check it out if you haven't already.

http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/

wow thanks for that link. If this work as well as you say then it reconfigures my whole setup. I was looking into signal processors, crossovers and eq's to have run between my pc and my amps. But if this can eleminate that then i will give it a try. Still might include the line drivers or the AUDIOCONTROL OVERDRIVE unit just to get that 13volt signal to my amps.

What type of sound card are you using? I was thinking of getting the audigy 2 zs internal

Comment

Originally posted by sansoo24
      wow thanks for that link. If this work as well as you say then it reconfigures my whole setup. I was looking into signal processors, crossovers and eq's to have run between my pc and my amps. But if this can eleminate that then i will give it a try. Still might include the line drivers or the AUDIOCONTROL OVERDRIVE unit just to get that 13volt signal to my amps.

What type of sound card are you using? I was thinking of getting the audigy 2 zs internal

I've also got the Audigy 2 ZS, because I needed a 4-way crossover setup and the rest of the Audigy family only had 3 stereo output pairs. Of course, KX can support multiple sound cards if you need more than that. I only got the crossovers implemented last night, it didn't take me long, but I've still got a few little quirks to work out (like the volume control in some software frontends seems to only adjust the right channel in KX) but I know that's all re-workable from the inside out, so it'll only be a matter of time.

Comment

Originally posted by -zerodb
        I've also got the Audigy 2 ZS, because I needed a 4-way crossover setup and the rest of the Audigy family only had 3 stereo output pairs. Of course, KX can support multiple sound cards if you need more than that. I only got the crossovers implemented last night, it didn't take me long, but I've still got a few little quirks to work out (like the volume control in some software frontends seems to only adjust the right channel in KX) but I know that's all re-workable from the inside out, so it'll only be a matter of time.
        what KX driver version are you using? can you post a screenshot of your dsp configuration? I'm using kx with my live 5.1 as crossover/eq but I'm still trying to figure out how to configure delays for each channel and so on, can you please post some tricks ?
        Peugeot 206 1.4 HDi

Intel Mini-ITX Mainboard
        Celeron 1.2ghz
        256mb DDR-2 533
        80gig 3.5" SATA HDD
        Sb Live 5.1 w/ KXProject Drivers
        M2-ATX
        8" Lilliput TS LCD

100% installed and working :D

Comment

i've been using the kx driver in my car for a while now, i'm still tuning it but it's pretty cool none the less
          New System in progress:
          M10k
          Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
          Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
          Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
          Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
          Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
          My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Yeah i'm using KX drivers as well.. make sure you look at the UFX plugins that Max writes, they're really nice

Comment

Tried it, every time the PC went into Standby it wouldn't resume.

Since taken the Audigy out and gone back to using on-board...I didn't notice any differences anyway.

I've got pretty reasonable speakers, and I normally do notice the differences with household speakers/amps, but didn't notice a worthwhile difference in the car, especially with losing standby support.

Garry
              Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
              www.aimee.cc

Comment

odd, I've been using standby/resume repeatedly with no trouble.

I've not yet broken into delay settings since my system isn't installed; I had thought there was a delay module in the standard DSP feature set but I just looked and there's not.

So far I've just managed to get my various crossover points set up, routed to the 8 outputs, and vaguely level matched since the whole system is all wired up on my desk at the moment (amps and all).

Comment

I do need to spend some time looking at the crossover functionality, I'm a bit worried about their lack of a clear "db/octave" slope rating. I'd like to put it on a spectrum analyzer and see what's actually coming out of these modules. I may end up just running VST plugins through cubase if I can't get what I need through kx. I do like the idea of running everything in the onboard dsp though.

Comment

Working...
                  X