Power problem...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power problem...

I've got my amp wired to ground, batt and ignition. Power, ignition and ground removed from the opus. RCA's plugged in, I take the positive lead from the opus and connect to to the power block. and it turns on. without the car on, without the acc line hooked up, without the ground hooked up. What am I doing wrong?

Let me try to rephrase, the amps are fine, my computer turns on when I touch its power wire to the power block. Even with no ground or acc/ignition wire hooked to it.

Comment

The only thing plugged into the opus is the supplied power cord. And from that cord, only the positive lead is plugged in, no ground, no acc/ignition. It is mounted in ther car though. How can I keep it from being powered directly by the battery?

Comment

My bad. The Opus (150) is connected to my motherboard (MII10000). The are mounted in a plexi case. Which is Mounted on a metal tray, which is mounted to my amp rack. No audio, video, usb, firewire, spdif, ethernet are plugged into the motherboard. I removed the amps power and ground. The opus/computer still turns on. I have disconnected the acc/ignition upfront, so its not even touch the opus or amps.

I have read almost every post on here about alternator whine and they all say to ground everything to one point...

Comment

any metal against car chasis or frame can equal a ground. Its weird but it works that way. Thats all i can see from what you are saying

Comment

Okay so I get that the opus is grounded and when I apply the +lead it turns on. But isn't it sopped to be waiting for the acc/ignition wire to be triggered? That's my problem, its relay seems to be broken.

Any answer?

Comment

The time delay is still at the default from the factory. Hooking the acc line up in place of the positive did nothing.

Comment

In the manual it says the default is 10 seconds. I have no jumpers on the power supply, so it has to be 10 seconds on my power supply. I know for a fact that it was working at one time. I tried removing the fuse over night and that didnt do anything. I think that I've had it plugged in with power and ground only for about 10 minutes.

Comment

Will do. Thank you for all your help.

Comment

Long shot - are you sure you haven't mixed up the accessory and +12v lines on the Opus?

In your original description, you said that when you hooked up the positive lead it started the computer. Then later, you said when you switched around and tried to hook up the accessory wire, nothing happened.

See, if you hooked up the accessory lead to the battery, that would supply 12 volts to the Opus. Now, I don't have an Opus so I don't know if that would cause it to start without the +12v hooked up, but it MIGHT.

A simple way to figure out if this is true is to reverse the hookup of the +12v and the accessory lead and try it. It shouldn't hurt the Opus and might work. If it doesn't, no harm done.
                    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                    Want to:
                    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

No dude, I didn't get them messed up. I only tried switching them because joshthepilot suggested that I try that.

Comment

Working...
                      X