How good are your ears?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How good are your ears?

This was posted at soundillusions.net a few days ago or so, but I finally got around to try it out, and thought I would share it with you guys too.

http://www.klippel.de/aura/instructions.html

Basically, you take a test to see if you can hear distortion or not. Should be good for everyone who says "Oh, I can definately tell the difference between a 192kbps MP3 and a 320kbps file!" True, not exactly the same deal here, but still sorta related.

Here is how I did...
    music pop: -18dB (this is the first test)
    music pop induct only: -24dB
    music pop bl only: -12dB
    music vocals: 0dB
    terz: -30dB
    twotone 90hz 800hz: -30dB
    twotone 300hz 800hz: -15dB

I used Sony MDR-V600 headphones, which are great to some, and less than desireable to others. I have heard the quality of the earphones dont help or hurt really, but oh well.

Matt

Note to mods:
    This might be too OT for this section, but I figure the people in this section would appreciate it the most, being it would be assumed these are the only people who appreciate good quality music (hence the car audio section). If mods think it should be somewhere else, feel free to move it, and sorry for the inconvenience

i did the 6 inch driver pop music test and i dont think i did too bad albeit i had to switch between my pos cambridge soundworks speakers and my headphones a few times to catch the distortion. i hit the -36db range.
    Your everyday carpc geek and tech guru at your service. *bow*

Comment

i got -24dB horah!
      Signature: [==||========] 20% complete

Comment

i dont get it, i took the test, it eventually said test is over. Now how in the hell do you interpret how you did. I clicked on the little icon beside each of the categories. For instance the first one, music pop. It takes me to a bar graph but doesnt say which one i fall under. Im confused lol.

The test stopped me at -15db, i guess i suck lol.

Comment

from my guess, the lower db you managed to hit, the better. for example, i would have done better than Nic by that. but im not 100% sure. anyone mind correcting me?

Comment

Yeah, homepage on that site, it says, " so how far down can you go". So from that my understanding is the farther down you go, the better you did.

So yeah, you did better than nic. If i understand this think correctly

Tried the test again, made it down to -24db this time. I dont know how in the hell you managed a -36, especially on your first go around. at like -15db, both samples sound almost identical, you must have hawk ears.

Comment

when i started hitting below 15db i had to turn up the volume to hear the distortion a bit better. around the 30db mark it became so hard to hear i just started guessing till i failed a spot, then it went back up and i was able to determine it better again.

what really amazes me though is that i dont consider myself a major audiophile. true, i can tell the difference between 128kbps and 192kbps. but anything higher it is very hard to notice a difference to the point i am very content with ripping my cd's at a simple 192kbps cbr mp3 format.

Comment

Yeah, ppl in my house are asleep, so i had the volume pretty low where only i could hear it sitting in front of my pc. Im content to with 192kbs mp3s. Maybe once i upgrade my speakers in my car and add my sub i'll be able to, but for now 192kbs is good for me. I find it funny when the hardcore guys just trip off people who listen to mp3s, saying that they cant listen to it b/c it sounds too bad lol.

After a certain point, your just being picky if you wont listen to lets say a nicely encode mp3 etc. I think i did a little bit above average, so i think im satisfied with my score for now.

Comment

What?

I've got 50% loss in my left ear due to a perforated ear drum (patched up recently).
                  Have: Via Epia M10000 1GHz|512Mb|20Gb|Slim slot-loading DVD-R|Carnetix P1280|RevCam|GPS|Illum’d keyboard|11g Wifi
                  Waiting for: Xenarc TFT in-dash (haha!)

Comment

Yeah but the difference between the mp3 frequencies is compression of high and low frequencies.. you can defintely tell the diff..
                    CAR INFO HERE
                    "He who dies with the most toys, wins".

Comment

I can get all the way through without missing a guess on the tone test, and can consistantly get to about -30dB on the tracy chapman song, i've got beyond there but on the song i'm just guessing past -30dB

Comment

This test shows most of us we need to take are audio systems to a proffessional and get them scoped. Unless you can get all the way through that test. The shop near me only charges 50 to 100 depending on how many amps and speakers you have. Not a bad deal to have my sound setup right the first time. I suppose i could by the meter they use and do it myself though. But i dont know what most the **** on that thing means

Comment

Originally posted by SamDude
                          What?

I've got 50% loss in my left ear due to a perforated ear drum (patched up recently).
                          ouch! what did you stick in there?
                          2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.9L TDI 5 speed
                          <|||-------> 35% ish

CarNetix P1280 80w
                          EPIA TC10000 Mobo, 512MB SODIMM DDR, 160GB HD, Orinoco 802.11b, Hollux GPS (USB), 12dBi Omni Antenna

Waiting on:
                          DWW-700M 7" 1-DIN Display :-D (2 weeks maybe!)

Comment

Originally posted by vxcarpc
                            Yeah but the difference between the mp3 frequencies is compression of high and low frequencies.. you can defintely tell the diff..
                            Yeah, thats why I said
                            [QUOTE=mbuchman]True, not exactly the same deal here, but still sorta related./QUOTE]

I dont think I did so good, maybe average. Oh well.

The tone ones made the ringing in my ears get louder. I dont think I could have done any more than one pass through them, it just started to hurt

Matt

Comment

Working...
                            X