Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Basic car antenna questions (hooking up to AM/FM tuner)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic car antenna questions (hooking up to AM/FM tuner)

I'm thinking of purchasing the Griffin Radioshark for a simple package to use with my system.

Here's the question:
    How can I hook my car's built-in antenna to the Radioshark's auxilery antenna port?

There's a fellow who put together his own home-brewed solution using a "standard FM dipole antenna", which looks interesting. But is this something that becomes obvious when I start to rip my car apart, or what? I'm looking for the basics.
    WRX + Mac mini Progress:
    [|---------] 1% (Planning & Fund-raising)
    Visit the project headquarters.

completly unrelated to you thread but i read the link in your sig about 03l3l3l3o

thanks for the laugh...

Sometimes he can be a complete ***, most of the time he is helpful though
    -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

Yeah, I don't know what happened there. Maybe I'm just a newb as far as he's concerned. Nice signature, btw. I'm a Christian too.
      WRX + Mac mini Progress:

Comment

Originally posted by MDLarson
        Yeah, I don't know what happened there. Maybe I'm just a newb as far as he's concerned. Nice signature, btw. I'm a Christian too.

Think you shoulda took it with a pinch of salt!!! Hey we can all be an *** sometimes... Think it's taking it bit too much to heart to make a web page about it though!

btw im a christain too
        Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
        Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

Comment

BTW on your website, the valentines gift of a subaru is COOL

I'll send it to my other half to give her ideas for next valentines day of what i'd like

Comment

To answer your question, as much as I can

If the standard antenna mod works, in theory the car antenna one should. The DLink DRU-100 is a similar device (FM only) and I extended my aerial with 50 ohm cable to the PC in the boot, and wired it straight in - and it works well.

I would imagine the wiring would be pretty straighforward, with the sheilding going to the outer sheath of the 2.5mm connector, and the signal going to the inner, however you might need to swap that - some are wired up a little strangely.

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the advice, stevieg! It's all new to me, so I hope to toy with it and get it to work using your suggestions eventually. The real thing I gotta do is just get my hands dirty and try things. I just wanna plan out as many things as possible before I wield a screw driver (or saw!)

Yeah, I was really blown away with the Valentine's day surprise! We had almost gone through a divorce in our relatively short marriage and without getting into details, the car is kind of a symbol of personal victories and renewed commitment. Kinda crazy, but it's extremely special to me!

And about 0l33l... man. I am pretty much laughing about it now, but at the time, I couldn't believe how immaturely he was handling it. I said a couple times that it was nothing personal, just something I don't like to tolerate. I'm one of those Mac users who "suffers for the faith" every day taking potshots from ignorant PC folks all day long (it's not really that bad, but it's still extremely annoying when it happens).

Anywhoo... thanks guys.
              WRX + Mac mini Progress:

Comment

Originally posted by stevieg
                Think you shoulda took it with a pinch of salt!!! Hey we can all be an *** sometimes... Think it's taking it bit too much to heart to make a web page about it though!
                Oh, also part of my motivation is because I don't want to be on anybody's "ignore" list! Plus I figure you folks would appreciate a little laugh at 0l33l's (or my?) expense. I dunno... I like living a very online "public" life.
                WRX + Mac mini Progress:

Comment

Working...
                X