Amp overheating?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp overheating?

I was driving home yesterday and the amp started cutting out. so since it only did it a few times no big deal. so today, i was driving for 30 min and it started doing it all the time like when i hit a bump, accelerate when i got home it was verry hot to the touch.

would it be over heating? Kenwood is designed bad since the fan is on top

Why would it just start doing it now? ive been using it this way for 4 months.
    1990 Jeep Cherokee
    2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
    2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

check your ground... Bad ground can cause it to overheat.

Comment

or perhaps a lose power connection even... the bumps and whatnot can cause it to become loose..
      and perhaps the constant disconnect->connect->disconnect behavior may cause it to heat up a lot? I dunno, just a guess.

Comment

Both power and ground are tight, it seems to run fine when im not moving or hitting bumps. i was just abot to get it work stiting still. but if i bump in my seat it cuts out.

Oh yea, i felt it like a hour after i got home and it was still warm.
        1990 Jeep Cherokee
        2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
        2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

I suspect something internal.

Kenwood makes good speakers, but their amplifiers are awful. They count the heat into the wattage. If the problem never fixes, get yourself a new amplifier.
          Audio Rockford Fosgate: 900 Watt 4-channel amp, 501bd Mono amp
          Computer AMD 2400+ XP, 1 GB DDR RAM, Orbit Micro 250W DC-DC PSU

Head units are for cheaters!
          sure some girls fake orgasms.....but it's guys like me who fake the whole relationship

Comment

check out the rca's.

Comment

check everything! I had a problem recently, couldnt figure it out, every time I went over 1/3rd volume it would cut out, clip in and out- I could wiggle stuff and sometimes it would come on, slam the door somtimes worked - looking at the amp the overload protection light came on whenever it went off...this is a setup thats been fine for over a year..... anyway after tracing it through it was the little terminal board with the 2 connectors that sit on the speaker had fallen off and was intermittently touching the chassis - would never have figured it unless i traced it though- crap job but ya gotta do it.

Comment

Originally posted by lgbr
                I suspect something internal.

Kenwood makes good speakers, but their amplifiers are awful. They count the heat into the wattage. If the problem never fixes, get yourself a new amplifier.
                Yea, Maybe ill ebay it "as is" and buy a diferent brand.

do you knwo any small 4ch amps that i could fit under the seat.
                1990 Jeep Cherokee
                2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
                2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

Are you bridging any channels? THe ohm load may be too low for your amp. But if it just turns off and not fries, its not a truly HORRIBLE amp, cuz some amps when you wire em wrong dont even save themselves, they go BZZZZT and smoke comes out.
                  (All done)
                  iPad Mini 128GB, RF 600.5 amp, JL12W0V2, 8 Infinity Components

Comment

Are you bridging any channels?

The ohm load may be too low for your amp. But if it just turns off and not fries, its not a truly HORRIBLE amp, cuz some amps when you wire em wrong dont even save themselves, they go BZZZZT and smoke comes out.
                    (All done)
                    iPad Mini 128GB, RF 600.5 amp, JL12W0V2, 8 Infinity Components

Comment

Nope... I pulled my seat out and opened up the amp and nothing it burnt or lose inside. All the speakers are soldered so no connections are lose.

I ran it for hour and a half pretty hard and didnít miss one beat. Well see what happens when I put the seat back in.

Oh and I figured out why I blew one speaker a few weeks ago. i had the rear set for normal and not LPF like I thought. So I tuned everything today.
                      1990 Jeep Cherokee
                      2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
                      2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

Damn i had the same problem, it is also a kenwood amp. it was working fine for a year without any problems, now it very hot after 1/2 hr playing, i tight everything except the ground chasey connection cuz i couldn't find it. I used the external blue wire to power my inverter thru a relay, wonder if that have anything to do with it. I hate to have to pick up new amp, 1 1/2 year old.

icet

Comment

WOW WTF, my post dissapeard.

Well yesterday i drove 40+ miles. and i did not have a problem so i dont know whats going on.
                          1990 Jeep Cherokee
                          2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
                          2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

after i tighten the blue wire to power the amp, i noticed a gain in bass, also i opened the amp, when it is hot, sticky **** all around the corner.

kenwood amp sucked...

Comment

Was the sticky **** white? if so thats the thermal paste (cant remember the exact name right now) they use it for CPU to heat sinks.
                              1990 Jeep Cherokee
                              2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
                              2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

Working...
                              X