rolling my own RCAs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rolling my own RCAs

well, i dont wanna spend lots of money for those high class RCAs and i was wondering, has anyone here rolled thier own? im gonna use stinger wire and rockford connectors and i know how to do it but...id like more insight. how many wires are there to connect per RCA?
    2002 Saturn SC2
    system install progress....
    [----------*---] 85%

Kenwood KDC-828 - eD 6500s - two eD 9.2s - eD 13kv.2 - eDead sound deadening - custom ported box - clifford matrix 10.5x

per RCA, there are two.

Comment

cool....one for the tip and one for the shield right? and does it make any difference if i do my own over stock made ones? im just doing this to get the right length for my car and not spend a whole lot of money
      2002 Saturn SC2
      [----------*---] 85%

Kenwood KDC-828 - eD 6500s - two eD 9.2s - eD 13kv.2 - eDead sound deadening - custom ported box - clifford matrix 10.5x

Comment

actually, one for the tip (or signal), one for the ground (or reference voltage).

The shield isn't a wire really, it's a metal covering, or shield (hence, the name) around the wires to prevent electromagnetic interference from entering the wire.. if I'm wrong about that, someone please correct me.

I'd just buy it to be honest.

http://www.knukonceptz.com/

When I'm buying a lot of wire (audio or power), I buy from there. GREAT quality at great prices.. of course there's shipping, but they don't charge too much. I suggest you at least check them out first.. they also offer a few lengths.

If you haven't gotten your power wire yet for your project, buy from there too.. great place.

Good luck

Comment

thanks for the suggestion...ill start comparing prices!!
          2002 Saturn SC2
          [----------*---] 85%

Comment

also a neat extra for your RCA's would be some "pants": http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=082-770
            WORKLOG

Asus P5N73-AN Mobo/Celeron E1400 2Ghz Dual Core CPU/2Gb GEIL PC3200/120GB HDD/DSATX PS/8" Phylon TS
            Webpage

Comment

Originally posted by wizawuza
              The shield isn't a wire really, it's a metal covering, or shield (hence, the name) around the wires to prevent electromagnetic interference from entering the wire.. if I'm wrong about that, someone please correct me.
              You are correct. It's coaxial cable, like what plugs into the back of your TV from the cable company. A center conductor, a dielectric (insulating) material, a braided or foil shield that goes all the way around the cable, and then the outer dielectric.
              System status: in progress

Comment

Originally posted by Snootch
                also a neat extra for your RCA's would be some "pants": http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=082-770
                nice!! much cheaper than the $5 or so that sounddomain wants...thanks man
                2002 Saturn SC2
                [----------*---] 85%

Comment

Check out this thread @ ECA
                  http://forum.elitecaraudio.com/showt...hreadid=111520

www.partsexpress.com and ebay have everything you need.

Comment

good idea, i just recently renovated my room. in thrue the walls i put speaker wire to connect my surround speakers to my stereo. the job was supposed to cost me 250$ in cables but i built my own and saved 180$, i really hear no diff, the quality is still as good as when i used rca if not better, and i am an audiophile with pretty good speakers.

Comment

I just got the cheapass scosche kit from walmart for the 1500 watt amp or whatever they mark it as. Comes with 2 20' interconnect pairs, as well as a 15' 4 guage, and a decent length 8 guage for ground. All for $20, I'd buy it even if i only needed just the one pair of interconnects. IMO they are pretty good quality.
                      PC Components:
                      Lilliput; XPC/FLEX mobo; 1.7 ghz P4 Mobile;512 DDR; 160 gb HDD; opus 150; slot usb dvd-rw
                      My work log

Comment

Some good cable the you can buy for about 0.42 per foot is Belden 8412 Microphone cable. Used that and some RCAs from Partsexpress to make somem old RCAs and they were great. Pretty cheap too.
                        Pioneer DEH7600MP, Autotek MX-800.4, JL Audio XR650-CSi, Adire Audio Shiva

Done with CarPCs, using a iPaq 3765 PDA w/ Holux GM210 and TomTom

Comment

Use what you already have in your "junk box" or you can buy for real cheap.
                          Yep, CAT5 Network cable.
                          You can do some about CAT5 and RCA you will be supprise what you find.
                          2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                          89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                          Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                          RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                          EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

yeah i like to roll my own
                            BenjaminS